• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by luke.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what car tyres
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I seem to have trashed a pair of Continental Premium Contacts used on the front of my car in under 15k miles, i suspect closer to 12k. This wouldn't be so bad if i was driving a fast car but all i have a 90bhp Octavia TDi.

I guess the diesel lump is going to wear tyres quicker, but is this normal? and just except it as one of those things, or are conti tyres soft?

Anyhow, 195, 65, 15 any recommendations, i am not after a cheap tyre, just not stupidly expensive, and certainly not a ditch finder.

SaxonRider

I haven't the time to look into your precise sizing requirements, but take a look at Nokians. I have just splurged on a set designed for cold/wet weather, and they are superb. That, and I have only heard good things about the name.

Oh, and if it helps: I'm paranoid about having good tyres on my vehicle.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Conti's wore out on my Mondeo after around 15K's
    Got saome Michellin pilot sports on now. I've had them before (on a vectra) and got 25k out of the front set and over 30k from the rear set.

No idea of price though, as its a company car

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I run Pirelli P6000s on the V70AWD-T, very impressed. Seem to be wearing very well.
    Contis and Michelin on the other two cars, but they don't do anything like the miles that the Ovlov does, so less of an issue IMO

luke
    Free Member

Mondeo's eat tyre's a lot quicker than Vectra's normally so not really a fair comparrison.
    Conti's can wear quicker the some other makes but 12-15k out of a set of front's isn't that bad.
    Maybe try Bridgestone's or goodyear's for a few more miles.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I used to get part worn michelens on my megane dci 130, get around 18k from a pair of fronts. Almost 40k from the rears.
    I pretty much drove it like it was stolen too.
    Ask in your local asian tyre place, I was paying £25 fitted for 205/55 16.

Just had some Grabber AT2's fitted to my X-Trail, they're awesome! Drive in snow almost like on tarmac. £360 fitted for 4 215/65 16, pretty much the smallest size available. Got em through blackcircles.com

carlosg
    Free Member

I've got Toyo cf1's on my rover75 in that size £52 a corner , they've been cracking tyres all summer sticking to the road like glue in wet and dry conditions, can't say what they're like in snow and ice cos it's only been a day.
    Had Pirelli p6000's before and liked them but not as grippy as the Toyo's

Neil-S
    Free Member

Surely you'd never tell the difference between wooden and plastic tyres on a Rover 75? They feel like a sumo suit to drive!

My daily driver is a diesel Mondeo, it sees front tyres off in about 12K as you describe. I have a Sapphire Cosworth with almost 3 times the power which gets driven hard ALL the time, it doesnt wear tyres as heavily , probably because I spend a lot of time keeping it right: all rubber brushes have been replaced with polyeurethane parts, all balljoints are a couple of years old maximum, alignment is set properly once a year etc.

I reckon a lot of wear is caused by sloppy suspension, poor alignment and probably a degree of clumsy driving too.

I'm currently using Conti Sport Contact 2 on the mondeo. I'll gladly take increased grip over shorter life. They're a good tyre IMO. Work the cost difference out in terms of £/week – premium tyres are not much more than their cheaper counterparts and they're your only contact with the road surface. Don't scrimp IMO.

I wouldn't bother with part worns either, got to be a fair bit of stress to the sidewalls unmounting and remounting them.

luke
    Free Member

Most tyres I see through work, that get changed earlier than expected are either, poor alignment, driver error i.e kerb damage or being run at the wrong pressure.

Another thing with part worn's, is you don't know how the part worn bit, was driven.

footflaps

Pilot Sports aren't cheap – they're Michelin's top of the range Sporty tyre – great grip in dry/wet, but rubbish in snow as the tread is unidirectional – the previous design was better.

luke
    Free Member

there on the pilot sport 2's now

snowpaul
    Free Member

I really like my michelin Energys on my van… nice grippy and seem to last very well – costco tyre prices are very good when combined with 20 pc off offers…

paul

luke
    Free Member

just thinking the ps2's afaik don't go down as small as the 195 65 15's so it would be either the energy saver's or the e3a's in Mich

Johnboy373
    Free Member

goodyear f1 eagles sexyist tyre ever pretty good too

dickie
    Free Member

Tried a few, always come back to Kumo, for price/wear/grip, but I can't tell difference between an £80 tyre & £140 tyre, apart from looking at my bank statement.

deserter
    Free Member

I used kumho cause I'm cheap and I thought they were great

johnners
    Free Member

I've just had a pair of Conti Premium Contact 2s put on the front of the Mondeo, they seem a bit noisy to me. Mind you, reading the above comments it seems I won't have to put up with them for very long. This thread should have been started a month ago!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I liked the Firestone fuel savers on my mondeo

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I don't mess around when it comes to tyres so always buy Vredestein. They aren't supposed to be that hard wearing (Ultrac Sessantas) but have lasted for over 17k miles so far on the back of a BMW 330d (it eats rear tyres normally). My wife has Ultracs on her Civic Type R and they've hardly got any wear after around 11k miles and I've had Wintrac Extremes on my VR-4 (300bhp 4WD) for thousands of miles too.

I'm not sad.

the_lecht_rocks

just got rid of yokohama advan sports on my CTR for Falken FK452's.
    half the price and the same, if not better UK performance 😀
    225/35/19's here though.

pinches
    Free Member

deserter – Member

I used kumho cause I'm cheap and I thought they were great

Kumho Ecsta Sport KU31 were voted the best all round tyre for your money by the car mags earlier in the year.

i've got them on both my road car and my rally car for "testing" and have to say, they are great all round performers and on my car cost £35 a corner.

montylikesbeer

Once you have selected your tyre, try this lot, we use them in my company for the fleet and my own car.

Mine is an A6 and I saved £45.00 a corner over the cheapest high street company.

They come to you as well!!!

etyres

twinklydave

got michelin energy's on the front of my berlingo that have lasted really well and have offered good grip in all sorts of conditions so far

on the back i've got some cheap barum brilliantis things and they're awful in comparison

jimmy

I have firestones after they were recommended. I don't really pay attention to the performance but having dinked the front wheel this week I was paying attention and they seem to have worn OK after 10k. They are quite noisy, though. EVen the breakdown recovery guy said he wouldn't use them and asked if I got a lot of road noise off them. Its only when coasting along slowly, though so doesn't bother me.

luke
    Free Member

At work we'll only fit firestone's to van's as we've found too many people complain of excessive noise if we fit them to cars.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what car tyres’ is closed to new replies.