Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What Camera?
  • Shred
    Free Member

I am looking to get a new camera but am not sure what to get. I currently have a Panasonic FZ18. The camera is in daily use taking photos of the kids and general life. We take a lot of photos of the kids but get quite frustrated with the slow flash and often over exposed pics. So I was thinking about a DSLR, something like the Canon 550D.

What I'll use the camera for/need
    Kids
    Family
    Indoors (low light)
    Movie mode (pref HD)

Most point and clicks are too slow, and in low light do not perform. The cameras like the FZ18 we have don't really seem to have moved on that much, plus you are still limited by the lens and small sensor in low light. A DSLR will be expensive, but you can get something like a F1.8 60mm prime lens for indoors.

What do you use or recommend for what I want to do?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Take a look at a Sony DSC-HX5V

I've got one and it's just right for 90% of the shots I take

GrahamS

One thing: If you are buying 2nd hand, then be aware that most older DSLRs will not have a movie mode (as it isn't really that easy to do on an SLR).

Newer ones do tho obviously.

Freezie
    Free Member

Get a Nikon D40 off ebay, the sensor is not stuffed with pixels, about 6mp, so it'll handle low-light better than a 10mp compact or the 18mp Canon 550. You'll have spare change for at least a Nikon SB200 flash, plus the D40 flash syncs at 1/500, perfect for stopping motion like children in play etc. No movie mode but that really is a shit gimmick on cameras anyway.

Ewan
    Free Member

D40 doesn't have a movie mode and is quite old now. 550d is a perfectly good camera, i'd avoid the 500d as it has a not quite full hd at a 20fps movie mode. The 550d has a 60fps 720p mode which if it's like the similar mode on my 7D will be ace…

EDIT: Get the same brand as your mates have, you can then nick their lenses…

jam-bo

No movie mode but that really is a shit gimmick on cameras anyway.

i think you'll find a lot of the video at the MTB world cups are being shot on DSLR's.

Im pretty sure a recent series of House was also shot entirely using DSLR's.

tails
    Free Member

i think you'll find a lot of the video at the MTB world cups are being shot on DSLR's.

I don't think the parkin bros, yeti, SC etc are using DSLR on the world cup. Maybe the better amateur vids are though.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Cough, have a search on the classifieds under my name, cough 😳

Canon do a nice 50mm prime for not much money too

lodious
    Free Member

Panasonic GH-1 is an interesting camera, not strictly a DSLR, but arguably the best implemented movie mode for most users and flip out screens are brilliant for getting shots of the kids. Mathers of Lancashire have them for a good price w/cashback offer from panasonic.

jam-bo

I don't think the parkin bros

i think they are using 7D's. happy to be proved wrong though…

TiRed

Canon G11. All the functions of a DSLR including flash exposure control, but very portable. The best camera is the one you have with you. I have stayed away from DSLRs just because they are cumbersome in daily life. The G11 replaced a lost G5 – and I still miss the f2 lens on that one. If you want smaller and a prime lens, a Ricoh GRD is a good bet with a poorer operating system.

My other camera is a Nikon FM with 24mm Nikkor prime f2.8.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cant you just change the exposure settings on your FZ18?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Panasonic G2 (or G1 if you can still find one).

Compact meets DSLR.

my G1 is great and gets used way more then the Nikon D300

Tiger6791

I think if you have a DSLR you still need a compact?

We have a 350d and for when you want high quality pics it's very good, however it's quite bulky and needs a flash unit for anything other than outdoor stuff.

We also have a Ixus thing, it's tiny and easy to go everywhere in your pocket and therefore takes 80% of our photos.

ados
    Free Member

As stated have you tried using the flash/exposure compensation on the FZ18 to try to reduce output/overexposed shots? Direct flash shot will never look as natural and warm as without although you should be able to improve in photoshop.

For DSLR 550D or D90 would probably suit best but have a look at the Canon S90 (although not HD movie mode) or IXUS 300HS.

Following page may be worth a read:

http://digital-photography.suite101.com/article.cfm/best-low-light-digital-compact-and-slr-cameras

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Go for the 550D… It's mint! Since getting mine i have started looking at everything differently and can do some pretty arty stuff that my compact doesn't even know exists! I got a Gorrillapod for it last week too which really helps. 🙂

rossrobot
    Free Member

+1 for the Canon G11. I considered several different DSLRs, but ultimately went for something that is more portable, but still gives you full control. No HD video though, if that's critical for you.

grantway
    Free Member

I have gone through if not all formats upto Medium format
    unless you want poster prints any good camera will give you
    a good A4 print.

I recently bought the Canon G11 and is used by most pros as a
    second/back up camera, You can get a good A3 print upto
    ISO 200 and would recommened this camera to you.
    This camera has a simple control top plate so anyone can pick it up and use it. But allows you to be creative.
    Like above it dont give HD videos but they are of very good quality
    due to its digital on board proceser.
    I bought mine from the E-bay uk online from Digi-Good £ 347.00p Bargin
    all new and boxed.

grumm
    Free Member

Dare I say….

GF1? 🙂

All the pics on my flickr were taken with a G1 or GF1 – I take the GF1 just about everywhere with me including biking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18244158@N00/

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What Camera?’ is closed to new replies.