Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What book for a 9 year old learning chess?
  • mrnmissespanda

My step-son is learning chess and enjoying it (he has joined his school chess club), however other than the basics I have no real knowledge. Does anyone have a book recommendation?

Cheers

Panda

br
    Free Member

So what you really need is a book for you to learn, and them teach/play with him?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would have thought the school chess club would teach him more than a book could do at his age?

How about an electronic game so he can test moves?
    http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-computers-electronic-chess.php

GrahamS

Try:

“You’ll Never Have A Real Girlfriend”, or maybe “Why Not Go Outside And Enjoy Life?”

Both by Garry Kimovich Kasparov, I believe 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

wouldn’t a chess game for the PC with tutorials / examples etc be better?

BlobOnAStick

Second the computer game. My 10 yr-old son has a DS game that he uses.

(And he also plays football, mountain bikes and skateboards thank you Mr S. 👿 )

Ben

Harry_the_Spider

How about The Fog by James Herbert?

Nowt to do with chess but he may find a couple of bits educational.

crankboy
    Free Member

Chess by Hoffer after reading it I got so good my dad had to actually be able to see the board to beat me rather than doing it all in his head while watching the telly. It won’t cover many modern openings but is good on the basic Gambits and theory .

Even when I was into Chess I found playing much better than reading books. Personally I find chess computer programs hard work and prefered the Kasparov chess challenger with it’s real board and lights to indicate moves.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The Art of Self Defence.

I forget the author.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What book for a 9 year old learning chess?’ is closed to new replies.