Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What bike rack?
  • CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I no longer have use of a van so I'm after a rear mounted bike rack for my 2005 Vauxhall Astra 5 door.

I don't have a tow bar and don't want a roof mounted rack.

Needs to be able to carry two bikes.

Any recommendations?

Anything to look out for?

z1ppy

Not what you want to hear, but.. get a tow bar (ball?) fitted and buy a Pendle.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

got a saris bones 3 and get 3 bikes on it no problem, never had an issue with rack or bikes coming loose in 3 years of using it including all the way up to fort bill every world cup, they do either 2 or 3 bike versions and a variety of colours

grumm
    Free Member

Saris Bones are good – I have the RS one which is pricey but very confidence inspring.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Yeah, I would prefer to get one but didn't want to spend over £100.

popmatik
    Free Member

I have been looking at the saris bones 2 myself. Would there be any trouble fitting an Orange five and a Canondale rush to that?

Cheers

popmatik
    Free Member

Anyone? :o)

69er
    Free Member

I just saw the words 'bike' and 'rack'…

verses

I have a Saris Bones for sale on eBay at the moment if you're interested, item no 120615372578. It was in the classifieds section here, but didn't get any interest.

I've only ever had hardtail bikes on it, but I would imagine it would be fine for full-suss bikes that don't mount the shock to the top tube. Although it does also clamp near the top of the seat-tube (inside the main triangle) too so it might be a bit fiddly.

organic355
    Free Member

I don't have a tow bar and don't want a roof mounted rack.

Anything to look out for?

Your bike bouncing down the motorway after being attached to a rear mounted rack.

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

We tend to advise people that towbars or roof racks are the best choice if you are intending to use it on a regular basis, and wheel supports are best of all especially if you want to keep the bikes separate. Rear mounted racks like our Strap On Rack are best for more occasional use.

Strapping the rack to the car is safe as long as take care to make sure it is properly fitted every time you use it and always replace any straps that get damaged or worn. Tow bar racks require less effort to attach to the car once you have fitted the mounting block for the very first use.

lowey

2 bikes ?

Easy, chuck them in the boot with the back seats down.

I hate putting bikes on the outside of cars, but if I had to it would be my massive preference (money permitting) to use a towbar mounted one.

popmatik
    Free Member

It's a mini cooper unfortunately… it doesn't even fit one in the back? According to my mate that is.

He is eventually going to be buying a bigger car so we can chuck them in the back so this is a temporary solution. We have a 4hour drive to scotland in two weeks though so we need some sort of bike rack for now?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Saris bones here too, but with an additional bungee to stop the front wheels moving around.

popmatik
    Free Member

Hi Teaboy… what bikes do you have on it? Do you have problems with the bikes rubbing together? Does it inspire you with confidence?

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What bike rack?’ is closed to new replies.