Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What are they really like in the snow? [Fat Bike Content]
  • butcher

Went for a ride yesterday. I say ride. The back wheel started moving. The bike stayed still. I walked. Tried again. Walked. Tried again. Then I walked home.

Last week, when it was only 6 inches or so it was manageable. And I went for a lengthy ride considering. However, every mile felt like 10. I was done by the time I got home.

How would a fat bike compare in these scenarios?

watsontony
    Free Member

not a clue about the fat bike, but yesterday was not much fun in the slush round my way. It was like riding up a wedge of slush/snow all the time. I am running 2.7front and 2.5 rear. i felt thinner might of been better at cutting through and creating less resistance.

but on dry and/or compact snow fatter the better i would think

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’d ride it fine

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They’re great… Hard work mind, but a lot more fun.

And they grip really really well.

Love mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can tell you that in 1 ft+ of powder they are as useless as any other bike 🙂

yodagoat
    Free Member

Hard going in deep powder but not impossible.

http://yodagoat.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/proper-winter-braw.html

devs
    Free Member

Aye in deep powder they are as bad as any other bike and even possibly worse. Give the snow time to transform and then all of a sudden they are awesome.

Schweiz
    Free Member

On proper hardpack snow (or powder on top of hardpack) they are a revelation. I just don’t know how often you would encounter that in the UK.

On mud, they are also brilliant which may be more of a UK specific application.

EDIT: This kind of snow is GOOD!

twoniner
    Free Member

Cracking photos schweiz 8)

rickmeister

And they are not just for snow. Druidh on here rides his pretty much all year on some techy trails too..

P1160474 by Andrea & Rick, on Flickr

Mantastic
    Free Member

Yep, not just for snow. Mine gets ridden most weeks in the year

andyha
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What are they really like in the snow? [Fat Bike Content]’ is closed to new replies.