• This topic has 71 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • what are the best flat pedals?
  • mrbump
    Free Member

hi,i’m in the market for some new flats for my HT. ive currently got shimano dx mx30 pedals and i thinking of getting the wellgo mg1 pedals.
    any experiences or other recomendations?

sefton
    Free Member

these from me!
    £35posted 😉

richc
    Free Member

I Have some Straitline’s that are very good, however best for price have to be superstar nanos.

They are grippy, low profile and not mental money.

xiphon
    Free Member

sefton – what model are they?

mrbump
    Free Member

easton flatboys id say

sefton
    Free Member

Easton flatboys

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/eastonflatboyblackpedals.aspx?&id=6513

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-easton-flatboy-pedals-15810/

doubt youll find them for much under £60 (used mine around 7 times before going clipless) they are rock solid and would certainly outlive your bike

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve got Burgtec Penthouses…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Point1 Podium Flats

They’re better than Burgtecs.

richc
    Free Member

The eastons are pretty fat and heavy though, personally I get on with lower profile pedals which are a bit more concave (so you foot can sink into them a bit)

jedi

pedals are a bug bear of mine.
    the old azonic aframes were the best.
    i tried the new ones but they developed bad play in one week.
    mg1’s are too soft and the pins rip out too easy.
    wanted canfeilds but that never happened.
    got nukeproof neutron and the right pedal creaks like mad…… arrggghhhh

all half axel pedals dont last with me at all. eastons snapped!
    the nukeproff isnt a full axel eaither 🙁

mrbump
    Free Member

burgtec mk3’s would be top of my list if it was’nt for the crazy price!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Cheapie Wellgos for me.

They just get smashed off rocks.

PJ266
    Free Member

I always go back to my flatboys.

Straitlines were good, and would like a go on the point ones, but Ive had the eastons for about 4 years now and they still work perfectly.

mrbump
    Free Member

my pedals dont touch rocks often 😀

almightydutch
    Free Member

I got some Atomlab Aircorps, massive footbed but quite thin too. No bearings to mess with just DU Bushings.

Awesome pedals!!!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Straitlines don’t work for big miles riding IME. THey are great for DH though. I’ve been using superstar and found them excellent.

I did a wee write up on both pedals on my site if you want to see more details of what I thought: Superstar Nanotech Pedal – Long Term Review
    Straitline Pedal – Long Term Review

sefton
    Free Member

nice looking pedal don’t stay nice for long – they just get battered, I’d be weary of spending 80quid on some light weight flats.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Sefton +1.

Plus they just get smashed off rocks. Often.

😆

mrbump
    Free Member

ive got some superstar ultra mag with the pins changed to (the very expensive) straitline pins on the big bike so i may try those. my only concern is they are very flat rather than concave so the foot does not sit them like my dx’s.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

I use these, they grip like hell but rip my shins to pieces.

sefton
    Free Member

yup I have soooo many little scars on my shins/calfs 😐

mrbump
    Free Member

wellgo mg1 £30 new of ebay! and i alway buy grey/natural so they look better when worn.
    as for hitting off rocks,i try very hard not to since i crashed and broke my wrist last time 😆

davegreene
    Free Member

I got some MG1s from ebay recently for about £25 shipped.

One thing to note that is that the magnesium doesn’t seem to take much abuse. Mine are already looking a bit battered after some rock contact.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My old Flatboys have been abused for years & still keep going, but they are fat & very heavy.

I’ve got a set of Nano’s on one bike & the equivalent on another & they have been very impressive, also half the weight of the Eastons.

mrbump
    Free Member

my superstar ultra mag are fine after 18 months of heavy dowhill use and loads of hard crashes! theres a bit of paint wear but that why i prefer the natural colour like the shimano dx or a simular grey colour.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

No votes for Kona Wah Wah’s? Looking at new flats myself and they look like a reasonable deal

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Same as the Nano/Nukeproof/HT/Exotic/etc etc.

sobriety
    Free Member

Wellgo B-54

almost as good as my azonic a-frames

richc
    Free Member

I had some of those and after the 3rd set of bearing I chucked them in the bin.

chvck
    Free Member

I’m still using Azonic A-frames, they do the job for me.

Generally the best pedals are just the ones that you like best, ask around mates etc.. and see if you can borrow a few sets and do a small ride with each?

That way you can get to see what sort of size, profile etc… you like best.

gearsrgood

DMR vaults current favourite

baronspudulike
    Free Member

Always has been DMR V12’s for me, Mags for some weight saving, fully servicable, always grippy, well sealed, you can’t go wrong with them.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Blue anodised shimano dx.

Best pedal,best colour.

You didnt ask if you can still get them or not,though!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Jedi, new Canfields on the way! Let me know if you still fancy a set.

akira

Hmmm Si how much are the Canfields, been looking at them but not exactly readily available.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I was going to get Straitlines or Burgtecs but opted for Wellgo B54 for £25.
    They just get bashed up anyway, and I can just replace them more often – 4 pairs of Wellgos for the price of 1 Straitlines.
    I like the B54s, nice big platform and perform well.

coogan
    Free Member

Wellgo B-54

almost as good as my azonic a-frames

I agree. Two sets on two bikes and have been utterly faultless for five years. And a flippin’ bargain at the price.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Si, your website is goosed.
    I just get the red hat linux test page.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Eggbeaters 😉

If you must… DMR V8 are pretty good and not too harsh on the wallet.

slowrider
    Free Member

Ive currently got burgtec penthouse mk3’s on one bike and point one racing podium flats on the other. Podiums are a great trail pedal and would be fine for more but I like the massive, solid feel of the burgtecs for dh. Both are really really grippy though.

I used eastons, didn’t find they gripped that well with standard pins and axle broke. With magnesium pedals they just get destroyed in no time and the straitlines had play from the box and the bushings lasted no time at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘what are the best flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.