Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What Al sheet for making a new dropout for a 7005 frame?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I have a broken RM Element – it’s made of Easton Ultralight which is 7005.

I’m planning to make a new dropout from 8mm sheet (same as the broken dropout) but not sure which grade to go for – google doesn’t seem to be throwing up any results for 7005 sheet and I obviously want to make sure that I don’t weld something on that will be broken after one ride (which it sounds like might happen with some 6000 series alu).

Suggestions? Also, any on post welding heat treatment?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I salute your tenacity.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Opportunity to fit a replaceable dropout?

stumpy01

We use 6082-t6 for a lot of stuff at work. It seems to be good for most applications. But my work is far removed from bicycle frames….!

I did a quick google to look it up & found this:

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2813

Specifically related to welding, it say this:

Welding
    Aluminium alloy 6082 has very good weldability but strength is lowered in the weld zone. When welded to itself, alloy 4043 wire is recommended. If welding Aluminium alloy 6082 to 7005, then the wire used should be alloy 5356.

maccruiskeen

Has the dropout itself broken? Or has the whole dropout broken off? If its the former I’d be looking at ways to make a bolt on dropout rather than weld it.

clubber
    Free Member

The dropout itself has broken and then bent when it failed. With where it broke, bolting on is not really an option.

Thanks for the help Stumpy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What Al sheet for making a new dropout for a 7005 frame?’ is closed to new replies.