Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • what about a good old fashioned helmet debate
  • chip
    Free Member

People twenties years older than me I know used to spend the childhood building. IEDs that al quieda would be proud of , and then use them to blow trees out of the ground. None of them lost hands, but some kids somewhere probably did .

I grew up a feral child of the seventies, we did not wear helmets, grew up in playgrounds with witches hats and climbing frames with only concrete to brake our fall, climbed the sides of buildings and generally ran riot.
    I don’t know anyone who bashed there brains in, plenty of broken arms and legs.
    Does not mean some kids did not, just I never new them.

The chances of your child receiving a brain injury while riding there bike is very small, but it does happen.

So if you are very unlucky enough to find yourself in that tragic situation knowing you wanted your kid to grow up like you helmet free, you will have to live with that.

Only you can decide something like that, shall I make my kid wear a helmet is a decision for a responsible parent, not for a bunch of divs (me included) on a forum to make.

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah.. The co-pilot limo is designed with high sides.. It would be pretty tough to find a situation where a helmet might offer further protection..

However, yunki Jr mkII has just smashed his head a bloom in corker on the bathroom sink, I will be ensuring that he wears a helmet when cleaning his teeth in future

yunki
    Free Member

Oh, and I have relied on the forum to make every major parenting decision for the last five years, I’m not about to start making my own decisions now!!

The responsibility would be terrifying

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, next you’ll be asking us how to flippin shave!

muddy9mtb

roll the dice and state your number? is is worth the gamble? the problem with accidents is you never know when they are going to happen pot hole in road? sunlight glistening off oil that you think is water? hit by a third party. A bump to the head in the wrong place can be serious at any speed (especially standing up and catching it on the cupboard door!). like chip said if you did have an accident and they weren’t wearing that 1 inch piece of polystyrene would you be happy? disability’s can be hard to swallow and they are only young. have fun and ride safe..you never know what’s coming

antigee

D0NK – Member

Can I just check OP? You asked specifically about helmet use in a bike seat and lots of people gave you anecdotal evidence about general helmet use, have I read the thread correctly?

no I’d wait a few pages and then read again from the beginning

ps if you do want a specific child helmet / helmet anecdote to be going on with and a useful one to quote if you are caught sans helmet

– mrs antigee once got a bee in helmet and stopped suddenly and unsuccessfully on a greasy road and fell over but all was ok with the little ‘gee on the back because she was wearing her helmet (and a high sided seat)

miketually
    Free Member

A bump to the head in the wrong place can be serious at any speed (especially standing up and catching it on the cupboard door!).

This is why my two kids wear a helmet at all times. They also sleep in a safety harness, because they have loft beds.

muddy9mtb

Jeez, next you’ll be asking us how to flippin shave!

hmm lots of stuff by gillete on that..maybe if you ask nicely they will give you some free samples? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgmMp2ZFtE

molgrips
    Free Member

Risk assessment. Doing 50 down a black run I’d wear one, going to 7-11 for a pint of milk and some tabs, probably not. See not hard is it.

Apparently, it’s too hard for you 🙂

What’s your risk assessment based on? Any actual facts or just a hunch?

Personally, my route to my nearest shop includes roads, lots of junctions and a roundabout, with plenty of cars despite being half a mile away. It’s these cars that present the risk – not my bike handling skills.

As for the high-sided seat – do the sides have padding? If not, they are still likely to cause damage when your kid’s head smacks against it and the road.

maxtorque

Not sure why we need to debate “old fashioned” helmets, there are plenty of modern cool looking ones too now…… 😉

For me, riding bike = helmet. end of. simple that way. You never know when you might come off, for what ever reason, and hit your head. It’s not like there are really any sensible negatives to wearing a helmet these days, no one looks at you and laughs anymore, and if putting on a helmet is “too much bother”, you’re probably doing the wrong sport anyway, and should probably just be driving your Evoque to the shops instead. (i do love a good bit of “Cross Threading” 😉

GrahamS

My four year old wears a helmet on her balance bike, unless she is just on grass in which case I don’t mind if she wears it or not.

She doesn’t wear one in the trailer because it’s just not practical or comfortable to do so and it’s safe enough without one.

Bike seats are a bit more tricky. I put a helmet on my one year old when she was in her rear-mounted seat, but to be honest it looked pretty uncomfortable, bobbling her head about and catching on the back of the seat. She wasn’t happy so I took it off.

For a family pootle at balance bike speed along sealed bridleway I think the risk of her requiring a helmet in a crash is incredibly low. Obviously I’d be happier if she could wear it, but I’m not worried enough to stop taking her because she can’t. When she gets a bit bigger she’ll wear one like her sister.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s these cars that present the risk – not my bike handling skills.

Commuting, I’ve only been hit by a car once and was uninjured, but I’ve also fallen off due to black ice and tactile paving and lost skin in both cases. So, zero injuries caused by cars but two by my bike handling 🙂

Although, I’ve never ever banged my head/helmet while riding a bike…

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not like there are really any sensible negatives to wearing a helmet

Individual or societal?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A helmet did help when the irate idiot driver punched me in the head…. though a gun may have been more useful

muddy9mtb

correct, you don’t have to look a dweeb these days
    not that was ever an excuse. Making people wear PPE can be frustrating..the day I walked down the factory line to find a bunch of guys wearing welding glasses while operating a cnc machine was encouraging – why? they didn’t know they were for “light” welding just that they looked cool compared to the usual offering. we didn’t argue if it meant they actually wore them

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you ride like i do you’re better off with a helmet (3 helmets written off).

GrahamS

If you ride like i do you’re better off with a helmet (3 helmets written off).

If the OP had written off three helmets whilst riding with his kid in a child seat then I wouldn’t recommend putting a helmet on the kid – I’d recommend the OP stopped taking the kids! 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We use it as a disciplinary motivator –

‘Eat your broccoli or Daddy will take you on a bike ride’

TiRed

I wear one and so do the Teens. Now when the kiddyback tandem fell off its two-legged Esge stand with Teen2 sat in the baby seat, I was glad of that little yellow Bell helmet!

Then there was the time Teen1 decided to show how much you can wiggle the handlebars after just learning to ride. He was glad of that helmet when he planted his forehead into the tarmac.

But when they were little, I mostly rode one to set an example. Now it’s a habit/race requirement/for insurance cover/sunburn protection

GrahamS

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands…

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Please, I beg you, stop posting pictures of the bloody Netherlands.

I’m sure I could find a load of pictures of people not wearing seatbelts in some country or other. Would that prove that seatbelts are unneccesary?

GrahamS

Please, I beg you, stop posting pictures of the bloody Netherlands.

But no helmet thread is complete without a “Meanwhile in the Netherlands..” picture set. 😀

I’m sure I could find a load of pictures of people not wearing seatbelts in some country or other. Would that prove that seatbelts are unneccesary?

If that country also had much lower injury rates for car passengers then yes it would certainly be relevant at least.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well no, because the two things could be entirely unrelated, COULDN’T THEY?

GrahamS

Yes of course, which would be the point.
    It would illustrate that other factors are actually more important and effective at preventing injury.

Helmets (and seatbelts) do not lessen risks, they only lessen consequences.

(which is good, obviously, but lessening the risks is far better)

Anyway I don’t want to drag this thread into an actual helmet debate. It was just an amusing aside.

m360
    Free Member

I’ve done a test cycling to and from work over the last few months. With and without hi-vis, pannier, helmet, etc.

I found that the hi-vis does seem to help, with less cars pulling out on me (still happens though), but makes sod all difference to anything else.

Panniers on the back, cars give you more room for sure.

Helmet…I’ve found cars less likely to wait, and give me less room, and cut in sooner, when I’m wearing one.

My tip – fit panniers (even if you just fill them with balloons!).

8)

Oh, as for the kids thing, dunno, don’t have kids and don’t care what others do with theres. Actually, might be worth borrowing one for the rack though, and seeing if I get more room than I do with panniers…

GrahamS

You could always stick a lifelike doll in a child seat and see what happens.

But I believe a bar-mounted puppy works even better:

The Most Perfectest Safety Gear

molgrips
    Free Member

It would illustrate that other factors are actually more important and effective at preventing injury.

I don’t think anyone’s stupid enough to think the opposite. Or at least, anyone who matters.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘what about a good old fashioned helmet debate’ is closed to new replies.