Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • what about a good old fashioned helmet debate
  • yunki
    Free Member

Kids in bicycle seats – I’m not sure at what point I stopped using helmets on my kids when they’re on the bike seat (co-pilot limo) but I got a memo from my ex this morning requesting that I ensure helmets are worn in future..

Not a problem – anything for a quiet life

But I think I remember reading that in countries where bicycle use is more established, helmets are used less frequently than here so does anyone have any opinions on this subject?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think its our culture of cyclists being 2nd class road users that makes them get the victim blaming thing.

HTH 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I predict a cut and paste athon…..

But I think I remember reading that in countries where bicycle use is more established, helmets are used less frequently than here so does anyone have any opinions on this subject?

Does the wearing of helmets have any bearing on the safety of the activity?

Easy answer round out way it’s the law wear one and get on with it, much quicker than having a long rambling debate really.

igm

I hospitalised myself with concussion for a week at 11 years old. I wasn’t wearing a helmet.

Would a helmet have helped? Don’t know, there’s no control sample, but I wear one now.

Off road it regularly fends off low branches.
    On road it is fluorescent yellow with scotchlite patches and forms part of my “SMIDSY? Really?” attire.

oldnpastit

A friend of mine was hit by a car last week (bike going straight-on, car turned left without looking). He landed on his head.

Helmet is totally trashed.
    One of his vertebrae is cracked.
    He was out of hospital after a couple of days.

Rorschach
    Free Member

1.Express a point of view
    2.Be a dick about it.
    3.Repeat ad infinitum.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1.Express a point of view
    2.Be a dick about it.
    3.Repeat ad infinitum.

🙂

I always wear a helmet. Absolutely no way I’d let me boy ride without one.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Risk assessment. Doing 50 down a black run I’d wear one, going to 7-11 for a pint of milk and some tabs, probably not. See not hard is it.

Jamie
    Free Member

I predict a cut and paste athon…..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Helmets dont kill people kids do..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28948946

MoreCashThanDash

Think skinnyboy has it.

Risk assessment for my kids says that their age and relative lack of experience means they always wear helmets.

Risk assessment for me is that I usually land on my head, so I wear one unless popping to the shop.

neilwheel
    Free Member

While I choose when I wear a lid, I think – child + child seat + helmet – is a no brainer.

rocketman
    Free Member

I got a memo from my ex

😆

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Lol @ memo from the ex. How very…

If I go out with my nephew I encourage him to wear a lid as he isn’t as spatially aware as an adult. His assessment of risk is based on his experience of pushing his own limits. He also knows that a knock on the head is going to hurt as demonstrated at the tender age of 8 when mid light sabre fight with me I managed to flip him over and land him on his scone and put him out for a few minutes.

I don’t get the rabid yes and no debates that surround this issue, even here in Oz where it’s stupidly mandatory and you risk a fine for non conformance. Just wear one when the situation merits it. And don’t be a dick to non wearers because of some anecdotal personal experience.

jam-bo

my 3yr old lad wears a helmet on his balance bike and in a bike seat not because I feel there is a great risk, but to make wearing a helmet second nature so when he does start doing stupid things on his own there is more likelihood he’ll wear a helmet.

he wanted to go to bed in his bike hat the other day.

ninfan
    Free Member

A friend of mine was hit by a car last week (bike going straight-on, car turned left without looking). He landed on his head

Yeah, but in a study wot I did, if he wasn’t wearing a helmet then the blind c*** of a driver who pulled out without seeing him would have been statistically more likely to have given him an extra 3 inches of room when passing, so there…

senorj

I take Skinnyboy’s approach.
    When he first went in the bike seat @12 months ,L’il J wouldn’t wear a helmet.For the past year I’ve just cycled extra carefully and on pavements alot!!
    He’s just turned two and is like Jambo’s and wears it all the time,unfortunately I have to also.I still take him on pavements though…….. 👿

Stevet1
    Free Member

Most annoying is parents who put a helmet of their kids and leave it dangling off the back of their heads with the chinstrap flapping around. Not sure they are aware that this is almost certainly worse than no helmet.
    Either wear a properly adjusted helmet or none at all.

fasthaggis

Would anyone like some cheese on toast ?

I will get a big plate of biscuits till the toast is ready.

poah
    Free Member

no need for a discussion, its your kid. although why you would choose not to put a helmet on is beyond me.

matt22
    Free Member

I use mine all the time, my bike hit me on the head when i came off a few days ago, it hurt with the helmet on so would of really hurt with a chain ring in my skull.

yunki
    Free Member

Poah – I choose to not put the helmet on for the same reason that I don’t put a helmet on them for walking downstairs, playing on climbing frames, going to the swimming baths or crossing the road

chip
    Free Member

You have had the memo,
    Thus rendering this thread both unnecessary and purposeless.

😀

lunge

I always used to wear a helmet for all but very short trips to the shops. Recently, probably after watching far too many YouTube videos of late 90’s pro cycling, I’ve been out a couple of times in just a cap instead and must admit that I quite like it.

I will say though that if I had kids I would always ride with one as I think it is important for them to see it as the normal thing to do.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

“proper” off road and any road ride I wear a lid. Going to the shops and stuff I don’t bother. No risk assessment that’s just the way I roll.

jam-bo

i bet you don’t make them eat their crusts either… 😀

cookeaa

Would anyone like some cheese on toast ?

Ooooh Yeah! That would be perfect actually, got any Worcester sauce to go with it?

Shall I pop the kettle on?

fasthaggis

got any Worcester sauce to go with it?

Yes,we have.
    Pop the kettle on and I will meet you later on page 6 😉

yunki
    Free Member

rendering this thread unnecessary and pointless

not so.. This thread has already inspired me to do a few rounds of cheese on toast (with Worcestershire Sauce)

D0NK

Can I just check OP? You asked specifically about helmet use in a bike seat and lots of people gave you anecdotal evidence about general helmet use, have I read the thread correctly?

When I got a bike seat advice was helmet would be uncomfy for child due to pushing their head forward and due to high back and wings of the chair they are strapped in to probably not necessary. No links to proper studies tho (if any have been done on this)

(edit just spotted jam bo did actually mention bike seats)

chip
    Free Member

My kid asked me for some shin pads for football training,
    I called him a poofter and if he was that bothered to stuff newspaper down his socks.
    And he knows not to let me catch him wearing a seatbelt either or he will be sleeping in the coal shed with no tea .

chip
    Free Member

It is very simple, ask yourself if I were to come off my bike would I prefer my child to be wearing a helmet or not .

Then run with it , if you can not do this maybe children are not for you .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My kid asked me for some shin pads for football training,
    I called him a poofter and if he was that bothered to stuff newspaper down his socks.
    And he knows not to let me catch him wearing a seatbelt either or he will be sleeping in the coal shed with no tea

At last some common sense and I hope you gave him a good thrashing as a warring.

yunki
    Free Member

You don’t have any kids do you chip?

poah
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    Poah – I choose to not put the helmet on for the same reason that I don’t put a helmet on them for walking downstairs, playing on climbing frames, going to the swimming baths or crossing the road

hey its your kids head, mine has fallen off his bike several times both on and off road and the helmet has saved him from damage. Maybe its just me but I don’t want anything to happen to my kids.

DezB
    Free Member

I have one! When he was lickle, I got him to wear his helmet always. He’s survived unscathed! Now he’s older I let him choose. He normally goes without, but at the BBB where you have to wear one, he wore it without complaint.

Yunki, make your own bloody decision eh? It’s your kids.

miketually
    Free Member

*Devil’s Advocate*
    If they’re strapped into a proper bike seat, how likely is it that they’ll hit their heads? How likely is it that the extra mass of a helmet could damage their neck?
    */Devil’s Advocate*

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not asking for advice dezmond.. As has already been pointed out, their mother has already made the decision

I just like a helmet debate, it brings out the best in people 🙂

D0NK

If they’re strapped into a proper bike seat, how likely is it that they’ll hit their heads? How likely is it that the extra mass of a helmet could damage their neck?

just did a google image search for bike seats and the majority seem to have lower backs compared to ours and no wings. Looks like bike seat manufacturers are designing them more for helmet use now. I’m undecided, reckon a bike toppling over sideways it’s better to have protection from a high sided chair than their helmeted head hit the deck and letting their neck take the strain.

zilog6128

While I choose when I wear a lid, I think – child + child seat + helmet – is a no brainer.

just make sure they fit properly – unlike the vast majority of kids I see on child seats or their own bikes! An ill-fitting lid is potentially worse than none at all apparently. http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/5/3/194.full

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘what about a good old fashioned helmet debate’ is closed to new replies.