Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What 4×4 for up to 4k?
  • genesis
    Free Member

Was thinking of something like a Jimny? Any good afterall the SJ is something of a trialling mini hero!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The SJ is an awesome machine!

We were out scrambling on a farmers land and there were 3 of them out. All the drivers had HUGE smiles on their faces. They are loads of fun!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Kato

a 90-series short wheelbase Land Cruiser Prado.

willard

That Prado looks very odd. Jap import only?

What sort of purpose is said 4×4 going to be used for? Fun? Commuting? Shooting wagon? Whilst I love the SJ, they rust a bit and they are rather basic. For 4k you can get a nice Frontera B with full leather, aircon and low miles. Or, anything up to about G plate-ish in a Landy 90.

If you go the Landy route, you'll never be bored either. There's always something that will need doing on it.

Actually, I saw a W plate ML Mercedes for sale near me for 5k, so there are bargains to be had.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Land Rover Discovery…..very very versatile, on road off road and anything inbetween. Comfortable too and if your handy with a spanner servicing is rather cheap 🙂

Kato

Yeah willard they're imports. 3 litre turbo-diesels

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mitsubishi Shogun. I bought mine for £1800 at auction three years ago. Been towing HUGE loads of timber with it, which is mostly all I use it for. . It replaced a 300tdi Discovery which may have been better off road, but was pants for towing. Disco rusted to bits, electrics were hopeless. Mechanically good. Shogun tows really well, more interior space. Everything electric works. Parts cheap and plentiful. Easy to work on. I thought it would last a year, and its going better than ever.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/GlassmountWoodPiles#5394349825381532338

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/GlassmountWoodPiles#5394349884204732018

Xan
    Free Member

For off road a defender all day long.

P.s. I'm currently selling an unfinished project if you don't mind a bit of work?

ebay item 330387872514. No Tax MOT and needs new wiring room. Ran out of money to get it on the road.

genesis
    Free Member

Needs to bike transport (fine with a rack)and working in a forest it needs to be fairly capable, there are the odd occasions when one of our own trucks is not available for emergencies and shuttle duties. Mpg is fairly important as I do a bit of driving though it could be used as a second vehicle I suppose.

genesis
    Free Member

Nice bit of kit that Xan

SaxonRider

The only alternative to a Defender I would consider is a Toyota Land Cruiser. Having said that, why consider an alternative?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Shogun/Pajero 2.8TD is the one to get.

Pajeros are the Jap import ones and are better specced.

LWB is huge and carries more kit and tows better. SWB more nimble offroad but uncomfy in back. Both good offroad with right tyres.

Reasonably economical and nice to drive – esp with electronically variable suspension on imported Pajeros.

Make sure the timing belt AND camshaft balancer belt have been changed at correct intervals.

As good as a Land Cruiser for half the cash.

My Pick: Pajero Super-Exceed LWB 2.8TD Auto 1997-99 With Leather and Climate for under £4k.

Xan
    Free Member

genesis – Member
    Nice bit of kit that Xan

Thanks. If you decide to go for a Land Rover be prepared to do a few things

Be prepared to lie under it…..alot. They need alot of TLC to keep them running perfect.
    They can be expensive to run. 1.5tonne plus big, old diesel engine aint the most fuel efficient.
    They are not the comfiest

They are the best off roader, by a long long shot and that was the purpose I built it, but unfortunately the Mrs kicking me out has forced sale lol.

Pajero/Shogun is also a good car

dickydutch

+1 for defender.
    I use a 90 TD5 as everyday drive. It is true about spending plenty of time on it, but well worth it. Always driven with a smile!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What 4×4 for up to 4k?’ is closed to new replies.