Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What £2k full suss?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Mate has £2k to spend on a new bike. Wants full suss for UK use – XC/trail centres so 120-140mm ish travel. Currently looking at the Zesty and Commencal Meta.

Any others or good bargains out there?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

£1699

khani
    Free Member

those ghost amr 120mm ones look good vfm and good reviews as well

chakaping
    Free Member

I know people do tend to recommend their own bikes, but my new Zesty has blown me away.

It's an amazingly fast and capable bike, much better than I expected.

timc
    Free Member

Trek Fuel EX 8 according to What Mountain Bike

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Just had a really good review in this months WMTB

http://www.saracen.co.uk/files/ariel2-wmb-june10.pdf

flyingfox
    Free Member

Mondraker Factor R or Foxy (if you can get them – all sold out – we've got one and that's it!).

£1700 and £1800.

mrmo
    Free Member

to be honest do you need 120-140 for trail centres? they aren't that rough, my preference is shorter travel bikes as they handle quicker.

Android
    Free Member

Trek Ex8, got one a month ago, my mates hate me, they can't keep up, up or down hill, and I'm no whippet.

Awesome bike….get him to testride one, he won't give it back 😀

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Trek EX8 easily… They show up a lot of more expensive bikes!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba XCL, tough, pretty light, good angles and very versatile.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/xcl_build_kits.html

Sancho
    Free Member

Chumba
    nice very funny I like that.

Soup
    Free Member

Trek fuel ex8. Rode a mate's demo bike last week. Very impressed.

sam_commencal
    Free Member

I ride a commencal meta 5 and I absolutely love it, would recommend to anyone. Very good at climbing and descending – perfect for trail centres and all day epics!

Reluctant
    Free Member

I'm mighty impressed with this, so far….it's ace!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43121659@N06/4622213242/

MRanger156
    Free Member

Thanks, I'll pass on this onto my mate.

Si – Please can you tell me more about the Chumba? Especially about the weight and how it compares against the zesty and meta 55?

haddock
    Free Member

AMS 125

How about a Cube AMS 125?

I had the 100mm version it was a great quality bike and in anodised black it aged really well. The 125mm version would be spot on for trail centers plus it has a 140mm fork for rougher stuff. Its light, fast, and the multi linkage design irons out the trail really smoothly. The beefier Cube Stereo may also worth a look.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Si – Please can you tell me more about the Chumba? Especially about the weight and how it compares against the zesty and meta 55?

The XCL is Chumba's do it all type bike. 5" rear travel, will take 6" up front but 140mm is the sweet spot for UK stuff. Builds vary in weight but typically 28-30Lb with sensible kit is about right.

As far as comparing to the others you mentioned it is a similar design to the Zesty in so much as its a 4 bar suspension design, but quite different to the Meta which is a linkage activated single pivot. The 4 bar design is well proven and is executed very well on the XCL. With minimal pedal bob and very remaining plush throughout it's travel. One thing Chumba try to achieve is a linear suspension curve, meaning all the suspension is usable.

The XCL is a tough little frame, and beautifully made, when you see the frame in the flesh you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you want any more info drop me a line at info@progressive-bikes.co.uk

Si

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

… or shop around and build one yourself and (imho) get far far better spec.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Orange Five S? on sale for £1699 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What £2k full suss?’ is closed to new replies.