Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What 29er hardcore hard tail du jour?
  • DrP

I’ve decided I’m selling the 26er full sus (150mm meta 5, if anyone interested) in order to get a hardcore ht 29er – I’m loving the big wheels!

Got some hope hoops on order, but wondering what’s a decent go-to frame nowadays? I’m out of the loop in this sector, so suggestions appreciated!

Not too pricey – most of the time I ride my scandal SS, so don’t want too much cash sunk into the play bike…

DrP

Rorschach
    Free Member

On One Parkwood would seem the obvious choice at £200.

nuke

^ yep the scandal replacement

Id add Stanton Sherpa…quite a bit more money mind

cp

It’s not exactly a scandal replacement other than its an aluminum hardtail
    Completely different beast, but exactly what the op is after I reckon.

Or for a few more quid, a kinesis ff29.

icarus
    Free Member

Another vote for the Stanton Sherpa here,i love mine,well worth the money.

ontor
    Free Member

Kona honzo…

nuke

It’s not exactly a scandal replacement other than its an aluminum hardtail
    Completely different beast

Hardly completely but thats by the by…it is the Scandal replacement given they don’t do the Scandal anymore and the Parkwood fills the gap left 😛

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sam’s got medium Buzzards for £200 but only in medium.

rockfield
    Free Member

Zealous division ftw..

sillyoldman

Another vote for Zealous Division – replaced my Honzo with it (which is still for sale… :wink:).

Rorschach
    Free Member

What size is the Honzo?

sillyoldman

Rorschach – it’s a medium.

dobo
    Free Member

i’m just using a cheap cube frame singlespeed, nothing hardcore round here but loving 29er too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got some hope hoops on order, but wondering what’s a decent go-to frame nowadays? I’m out of the loop in this sector, so suggestions appreciated!

Is buying a bike purely based on wheel size, when you don’t have a clue which frame you actually want, what we do now?.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

2Souls QH:

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yup. That or colour.

dobo
    Free Member

hell yea thats looks robust

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My lbs sells those zealous, look a real good buy.

swanny853

How hardcore are you talking? Batter down rocks or big jumps and drops? If the former then most any 29er with room for big tyres and non-scary geometry has got a pretty decent shot, if the latter then that’s a bit different.

If it helps you’re welcome to have a go on my solaris, with big tyres and wide bars it might give a you a starting point for comparison. You’re south downs area iirc?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

of the ones I’ve ridden (a reasonable number), the zealous would be the one I’d go for. the honzo is pretty good too as is the yelli screamy.

the zealous was by far the most fun though (but I’d not want it to ride all day on, it’s a stiff old thing…) – poppy, agile, easy to play around on.

ratherbeintobago

Would suggest a ROS9 but Niner prices are frantic.

eddie11
    Free Member

This is a ‘sector’ that died before it really got started cos of 650b

I guess the list is honzo, buzzard, niner, parkwood, krampus(?), I’m sure there are others but not much.

bullheart
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger is currently selling Vassago Jabberwocky’s off at £250. Whilst not a hardcore HT, I’ve smashed mine all over the place and it has never broken.

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s more slack/120mm+ fork 29ers than 650b (probly).

DrP

Nobeer…
    Pretty much 😉

I hardly ride the meta nowadays as the scandal is so capable on my local trails, and the meta feels sluggish in comparison.
    I know I prefer the bigger wheels by a long shot, so really I’m after a scandal, but ‘slacker and harder’ for play days….
    The parkwood looks good value..

DrP

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Inbred, a bargain and a shit load of fun.

mattjg
    Free Member

huh?

eddie11
    Free Member

huh?

I said

THIS IS A SECTOR THAT DIED BEFORE IT REALLY GOT STARTED BECAUSE OF 650b

egb81
    Free Member

Another Zealous Division vote here. Top notch fun that can take a hell of a thrashing.

ratherbeintobago

Has anyone said Trans Am 29 yet?

nedrapier

I’ve be having a hard look at the singular buzzard at that price. I’d have thought the medium would be spot on zone wise.

mattjg
    Free Member

[quote]This is a ‘sector’ that died before it really got started cos of 650b
    huh?

I said[/quote]

THIS IS A SECTOR THAT DIED BEFORE IT REALLY GOT STARTED BECAUSE OF 650b[/quote]

HUH?

marko75
    Free Member

As STW is normally suggest what you have…. Kona Taro. Fun bike, geo same as Honzo but £500 cheaper!

Cheezpleez

I’d go for a Buzzard at £200. I love mine. It’s not subtle but it is big fun.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’d give a buzzard or a Parkwood

Both not available in large/xl atm

swanny853

What are you looking to do that you can’t on the scandal? I ended up looking at a fs 29er because I screwed my knee chasing fs bikes at bike park wales on a hardtail. If you really want cushioning in the rough, while I’m a big fan of the ability of hardtails in general and 29ers in particular to manage a much faster line than you might expect, they won’t actually look after you like your old fs will.

DrP

Well the scandal is ss, fast, and racey -is Mr race bike.

Really in looking for similar, but for gears, fat tyres, longer forks, dropper…
    I’m looking the buzzard, but a kilo heavier than the parkwood…. :-/

DrP

Cheezpleez

I’m sure it’s not a kilo heavier really. Are you looking at internet weights?

The geo on the Buzzard is better than the Parkwood IMO. I’ve got a Buzzard and have had a quick go on a Parkwood and I’d say they’re both good but the Singular edges it (and looks prettier).

mattjg
    Free Member

If VFM’s important and you fit a medium, gotta be the Buzzard, it’s what I’d buy in your situation, good doctor. It’s an absolute no-brainer for two hundred quid. (I didn’t, I have a Canfield, but that cost a chunk more, not necessarily justifiable).

For the riding the bike’s designed for, I’d choose steel over aluminium. A tad more frame weight is no biggie, these are fun bikes not weight weenie bikes.

Well the scandal is ss, fast, and racey -is Mr race bike.

A 140mm trail build Buzzard will be a very different bike to this, you’re not duplicating your fleet.

superstu
    Free Member

Only ridden a parkwood from the suggestions so far but it was brilliant. Aggressive but relatively light, cheap as chips.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What 29er hardcore hard tail du jour?’ is closed to new replies.