Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Bike Aesthetics
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m doing some thinking about mountain bike aesthetics.

Very simply, do you prefer the look of one of these bikes over the other? Can you say why?

Intense;

Ellsworth;

Not sure where this is going yet, but any input appreciated.

Cheers.

wwaswas

Intense.

because it’s two triangles.

If the seat stays meet the seat tube at the same place the top tube does then it’s even better.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You ride an Orange 5 with flat bars.

Ergo, you know absolutely sweet FA about it.

(Obviously the Ellsworth gops the fat one. Too many lines, changes in tube shape, bends- it isn’t “easy” to look at)

Spin
    Free Member

Fugly linkage on the Ellsworth.

yunki
    Free Member

The Intense is beautiful..

The Ellesworth is some kind of scary and sinister hallowe’en costume designed to scare the beejeezus out of all that cast their woebegone eyes over it’s hideous mutated countenance..?

Is this a trick question..?

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Intense is better to look at, but the Ellsworth appears to have more manageable cable routing

ahwiles
    Free Member

silhouette wise:

the intense looks good, the ‘chainstay’ forming a line with the top tube.

the Ellsworth looks like it’s being held open, like the bonnet on a car, so, there’s a bit of my brain that thinks ‘that’s broken down that is’

however, i can forgive the Ellsworth’s looks, because i do like a proper long-link 4bar (ex Hemlock owner, great bike btw)

both look like they’re trying too hard though, too much gold/bling, too many big logos, bikes for chavs.

spawnofyorkshire

Ellsworth

ska-49
    Free Member

The Intense looks purposeful and aggressive where as the Ellsworth looks melted.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Smoother, less interrupted lines make for a nicer looking bike. So the Intense for me out of those two, although I wouldn’t personally buy either.

honourablegeorge

Love the intense, although the wheel logos are a bit much.

Ellsworth has a horribly ugly linkage, doesn’t have a proper two-triangle shape, has a hideous FSA chainset, nasty steep head angle, and, most crucuially, it just isn’t the type of bike I’d like to ride.

Ellsworth’s shoddy customer service reputation probably colours my thinking too, not that Intense are angels.

Hard to separate build form aesthetics too – hard to fault any of the parts on the Intense, whereas FSA chainset, red seatclamp, no dropper, fox forks, green (!) pedals, long stem (with rise), no dropper, 2×10 are all things about the Ellsworth that Id mentally mark it down for.

AlexSimon

You’re all wrong – the Intense doesn’t have the tyre logos/valves lined up.

There’s a million and one things that make up an aesthetic.
    Some things not mentioned so far:
    Conditioning is a massive part of it.
    Association with other desirable products is also included in conditioning.

TiRed

Intense profile, but Ellsworth colour scheme. Not a fan of multiple curly main tubes, and the rocker makes the lines very disjointed.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

That Intense is a thing of Beauty! (The lower link will be prone to rock strikes though, like the Mk.2 SC Nomad)

The Ellsworth looks like poop – the rocker is way too long (asthetically)

Bet they both ride nice though.

kayak23

I can’t actually believe that bikes as aesthetically tragic as that Ellsworth ever make it off the drawing board. I mean seriously, the designer has zero aesthetic sensitivity. Just about everything is visually inharmonious. Dreadful….it actually makes me a bit annoyed… 😆

The Intense on the other hand is more than a random bag of tubing emptied out onto the floor and welded how they fell.
    It’s harmonious. Lines follow through and take the eye from end to end. The proportions are very well balanced, the tubing is elegant but purposeful. It’s a lovely looking bike.

Do Ellsworth actually sell any of those abominations?

honourablegeorge

kayak23 – Member

Do Ellsworth actually sell any of those abominations?

Can’t imagine they’re flying out the door, given the discounts they’re selling for at Freeborn

citizenlee
    Free Member

You’re all wrong – the Intense doesn’t have the tyre logos/valves lined up.

There’s a million and one things that make up an aesthetic.
    Some things not mentioned so far:
    Conditioning is a massive part of it.
    Association with other desirable products is also included in conditioning.

No, that’s just good practice for taking bike photos.

Speak for yourself regarding conditioning too, as for me you could paint them both black and remove all logos/branding and I’d still prefer the lines on the Intense over the Ellsworth.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The Intense on the other hand is more than a random bag of tubing emptied out onto the floor and welded how they fell.

It’s Carbon…… 😉

jameso

One has lines that draw the eye in the same direction and compliment each other generally, the other doesn’t.

wwaswas

I preferred the aesthetic on Ellsworth’s when they were all straight lines and massively milled linkages. Industrial and strong.

It’s not as good now it’s more organic, the softer lines don’t suit it.

AlexSimon

If you read some reviews you’ll hear them say ‘stunning’, ‘sexy’, etc though. Some people must like them.

buck53

I’m not very good at this, even with the thread title the first thing that came into my mind was still, “Doesn’t look like much mud clearance on the Ellsworth”.

AlexSimon

Speak for yourself regarding conditioning too, as for me you could paint them both black and remove all logos/branding and I’d still prefer the lines on the Intense over the Ellsworth.

Sorry – I was just trying to add something into the mix. I thought that was what the OP wanted.

If it was the logos that made the difference, that would be because of things like peer acceptance, previous company failures, company culture, sponsored riders that you like, have met, shops that stock them, etc, etc, etc. I accept that it isn’t just this aspect involved above.

But conditioning can be far wider – An easy to understand example is cultural conditioning. One quick example – Japanese cars are required to have a pleasant ‘face’ or lose sales.
    Of course, cultures are becoming less separated aesthetically.

To try and understand Ellsworth’s appeal, I’d have to look at the american metal and rock sub cultures. It’s not something I know a lot about, but the gothic font, harleys, choppers, the women that Ellsworth emply as ‘booth babes’, etc.
    I’ve always found everything about the brand ‘ugly’ so it’s no surprise that comes through in the industrial design.

Of course, that’s only in addition to all the other stuff like uninterrupted lines, focal points, squatting dogs, etc.

Although there are some easy fixes on the Ellsworth – drop the saddle, put a 1x on there, use a longer lens on the camera (to slacken the front) or change the angle to front 3/4 so that the rear linkage looks smaller as it’s in the distance.

honourablegeorge

AlexSimon – Member

Although there are some easy fixes on the Ellsworth – drop the saddle, put a 1x on there, use a longer lens on the camera (to slacken the front) or change the angle to front 3/4 so that the rear linkage looks smaller as it’s in the distance.

Or burn it in a huge fire

mattsccm
    Free Member

Both pig ugly. Forgetting that, too much black. Alloy should be silver.

keefmac

the intense looks better by far, neat lines and it just looks right. the Ellsworth looks like someones either (a) stacked the front in or (b) fitted the rear link and front triangle from two vastly different bikes together.
    its not good

aracer
    Free Member

It’s Carbon…… [/quote]

more than a random bag of tubing emptied onto the floor and bonded how they fell.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – the shitting dog front triangle would look a lot better with the Tracer’s simpler back end (still shit, but less shit). That Ellsworth looks like somebody’s put the front triangle of one bike together with the rear end of another and the linkage from a third.

ndthornton
    Free Member

The teeny weeny chainring ruins the otherwise flawless lines of the Tracer. Makes it look all mouth and no trousers somehow. I love the idea of 1×11 but compared to double n bash…. it just doesn’t do it for me.

loddrik
    Free Member

The Ellsworth, I love Ellsworths

But then I own a Maverick so what would I know…

RustySpanner

The Ellsworth.

The first one looks like any other generic Taiwanese full susser.
    TBH, it looks like a cheap Trek lookalike with that paint job.

The back end of the Ellsworth looks like it was designed by an engineer, not copied from a catalogue.

matther01
    Free Member

The Ellesworth looks all hunched up like some kind of old lady with osteoporosis… no idea why? Intense is long and slack with better lines…just easier on the eye all round.

Northwind

The Ellsworth like every Ellsworth ever is horrible. It really is like they design 2 different bikes then just smash them together, curvy front and square rear. Vile. Not as bad as my Dare though.

The Intense is boring, mind, and a bit leggy. And the high seatmast is ugly and quite likely unhelpful.

jam-bo

Vertical rear shocks and a big rocker link look shit. Always.

househusband

Playing Devil’s Advocate… are both the Intense and the Ellesworth same wheel size? The former is definitely a 29er but I’m not sure about the latter – proportion is a design factor.

mintimperial

I just asked the missus, who knows precisely **** all about the minutiae of modern MTB aesthetics, what she thought. She says that the Ellsworth is more pleasing, because “it has an elegant curve to it.”

I assume she’s looking at the back tyre or something, I dunno.

elliott-20
    Free Member

To me the Intense looks like it should work, the Ellsworth looks heavy and aesthetics are generally about defining an object based on looks alone. Slacken it off with some triple clamps an it wouldn’t look any worse than most DH bikes out there. I alway felt the SX trail was a little warped by the sun but people love it.

tazzymtb

Ellsworth for me. Like the industrial look and it has the best suspension by a country mile. I loved my elli went up hill like like a scalded monkey and was better in the rough than more burly boingy stuff like my sinister and orange 5. If it wasnt for the fact the gears are most definitely for effete ladyboys and susension for the wrak wristed and infirm I’d habe another without a second thought.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Intense looks purposeful and aggressive where as the Ellsworth looks melted.

That’s pretty much it. Neither are perfect, the wheels look too big on the intense.

honourablegeorge

tazzymtb – Member
    Ellsworth for me. Like the industrial look and it has the best suspension by a country mile. I loved my elli

Funny how the only person who likes the Ellsworth is the one who had a previous positive experience with the brand

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Bike Aesthetics’ is closed to new replies.