Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What 140/150mm Air fork?
  • Mackem

Looking to lose a little bit of weight from my hardtail. I current have a rockshox sektor RL. I like it but I fancy something a bit lighter but with decent performance. A Revelation is proabably the obvious answer, are there any less obvious answers?

cheers

rickon
    Free Member

Revelation for sure.

If you want to go off wall a bit, have a look at the X-Fusion Velvet, you can fit 650b wheels in them too 🙂

rondo101
    Free Member

I was about to buy a set of 2013 Revelations until I discovered that in order to change the travel you need to change the whole air spring assembly. Which, if they were actually available in the UK, would set you back about ~£80! Quite a difference from adding a spacer or two. Unfortunately I can’t find any 2012 models with the RCT3 damper and 15mm axle, so I’m about to click buy on a set X-fusion velvets instead.

warpcow
    Free Member

Air or coil Sektor? If it’s air then you won’t gain much at all (Bikeradar even claimed it was lighter than a Rev in a review).

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I have some nice 140mm dual air revs which I wasn’t going to sell – but are currently surplus. I wouldn’t have mentioned it – but I know you’re localish…

honourablegeorge

Sektor and Revelation share a chassis, so unless it involves a coil to air swap, difference will be pretty minimal.

br
    Free Member

Check the weight of the maxle, as the one that came on my Reba was only 2/3 the weight of the one that came on my Magura – not sure what comes on a Sextor.

Northwind

The Rev’s the best of the 140/150 forks but as above, the differences are internal, there’s no massive weight saving over an air Sektor.

SamB
    Free Member

Less obvious… Fox 36 Float spaced down 10-20mm. Love my RC2s 🙂

honourablegeorge

36s are probably a less obvious solution in this case because they’re the exact opposite of what the OP is after.

iffoverload
    Free Member

sorry for the hijack looking for some 140mm revs if anyone can help? 😳

cheers

wrecker
    Free Member

36s are probably a less obvious solution in this case because they’re the exact opposite of what the OP is after.

Not sure how. He wants something lighter than a sektor with better performance. The 36 offers both.
    The rev I currently have is good, but not as good as the 36 I also have.

Northwind

A Float 36 is heavier than almost every model of Sektor

grum
    Free Member

Didn’t the Sektor replace Pikes? Did they make them a lot lighter?

IIRC my 36 Vans are almost exactly the same weight as my old coil Pikes.

Northwind

Sektor is no relation of the Pike- it’s a cheaper Revelation. People just think it’s connected because it came out at the same time as the Pike retired but it’s no more a Pike than a Rev or a Recon is.

wrecker
    Free Member

A Float 36 is heavier than almost every model of Sektor

Apart from the sektor RL coil, of course.
    Performance wise; revs are good, just not as god as 36s. The comparison in performance is pretty much relative to the price. Not guess work, I own both.

Northwind

Just had a wee look at the OP’s history and looks like he has coil u-turns, which weigh pretty much the same as a 36 (tapered maxle model is heavier, though, straight steerer might be). But either way there’s very little in it, and not enough to justify the change if he’s after lightness.

OP- if I’m right, I might be tempted to do some sort of trade/part ex for my Rev Teams…

mangatank
    Free Member

My experience of X-Fusion velvets is that they are light and very plush. Easily the best square edge performance I’ve experienced. Hard to source though.

mangatank
    Free Member

My experience of X-Fusion velvets is that they are light and very plush. Easily the best square edge performance I’ve experienced. Hard to source though.

Mackem

Interesting comments. I’ve never actually bothered to look at the weights, I just assumed that because my forks were cheap and coil that thery’d weigh a lot more than others. Maybe a bit of loco tuning would be a better way of spending money.

br
    Free Member

I’ve never actually bothered to look at the weights,

Doh!

And you posted:

I like it but I fancy something a bit lighter but with decent performance.

Obviously at the bottom of the gene pool…

Mackem

Well, thanks for that br.

RustyMac

If they are coil hey will be heavier than an air fork but you can definitely improve the performance by installing a dual flow damper and RTC compression in place of the stock stuff in the sektor.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Lighter than a Sektor…Good luck with that 😯

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What 140/150mm Air fork?’ is closed to new replies.