Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • WHAM BANG!!!!!!!! BROKEN BIKE
  • squiff
    Free Member

Yes, I was the victim of a hit and run last night.

Driver smashed into the side of me sending me flying over this car bonnet.

I went one way the bike went another and my right shoe managed to come off.

I had a right rant at him, he said he was sorry than to my amazement he drove off.

Luckily a women walking her dog saw the whole lot and another person got his reg.

My bike is a right off, carbon frame broken/shattered in 2 places, front wheel buckled, helmet got 2 large cracks on it, this could have being my head.

As for me 2 grazed knees, badly bruised right big toe, sore back, some of my fingers are hurting, not walking very well.

Police have been told, so we will see what happens.

I think a bit of compensation is to be have and I am going to sue the driver for careless driving and failing to stop and see if I was ok or help me out.

Luckily the person who got the reg number was great and give me and my bike a lift home.

So am on the look out for a new frame now

nsaints
    Free Member

Had simialr last year, but didn’t come off/no bike damage…driver didn’t stop and drove off luckily got held up by traffic lights 200 yards giving me enough time to chase after them and stop in front of them
    Driver was then treated to a proper red mist moment from me!!

good luck with your incident

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. Keep on at the police to make sure they do something

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

Leaving the scene of an accident at the very least, surely.

Great that there were witnesses.

Sorry to hear about it and the pain of getting it all sorted out – his insurance should stump up for the bike/kit and don’t forget all the shredded clothes/gloves etc…..

5lab

I think a bit of compensation is to be have and I am going to sue the driver for careless driving and failing to stop and see if I was ok or help me out.

no, you’re not. The police may (and probably will) press charges for failing to stop, and maybe careless driving, but that’ll have no effect on your compensation. If you’re not injured, you’ll get the value of your bike and any other bits (lid for example) and that’ll be it. Better start hoping he’s not uninsured.

Sorry about your accident

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your accident. I was hit last year but not as badly, sideswiped on a roundabout. The driver didn’t stop. The police weren’t really interested which suprised me as I had the reg and when they spoke to the woman she admitted she drives that road at that time everyday. I thought they would take a hit and run seriously but as there were no witnesses they said they couldn’t prosecute.

I think if you put a claim in it can only be for personal injuries and loss as I think the other matters such as careless driving are a criminal not civil matter and will be up to the police to pursue. I put one in for injuries – jarred hip/leg/back and stiff neck which still gives me jip now. The burden of proof for the civil claim is lower and based on the balance of probabilities whereas criminal has to be beyong reasonable doubt.

Hope you get some money back to pay for your bike at least, good luck.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Double post sorry!

kaesae
    Free Member

I think it would be best to photo and video record all relevant details.

Also put some photo’s up on here, so we can have a look, sounds quite bad, however photo’s tend to be worth a lot more than a description.

Hope your OK and heal quickly.

Farewell.

hora
    Free Member

Squiff how are the Police treating this?

Its not “leaving the scene of an accident” (this implies the driver may not have been aware/not directly involved)

its hit and run.

wwaswas

never thought I’d say this but;

‘wot hora said’

it’s a hit an run you ought to be badgering the police.

are you a CTC member, might be worth giving them a call even if not?

5lab

hit and run isn’t a crime.

Leaving the scene of an accident is.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I used these guys a few years ago when I was hit and their insurance people didnt want to pay out:

Home

loddrik
    Free Member

Some people will do anything to justify buying more bikes…

squiff
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

5lab

isn’t hit and run the same as leaving the scene of an accident?

Hora

I thought the police would have been on the case a bit quicker like wanting to take photos of my injuries, broken bike etc

Feel like I have aged about 40 years, so sore 🙁

hora
    Free Member

squiff- can I ask what the Police are doing and how are they treating this?

If they are treating it as the serious matter they should have been to his registered address by now and have taken a statement from both you and your witness.

If they are treating this as merely an accident then your talking to the wrong people there.

My fear is the driver has no insurance and/or valid licence. As such he needs taking off the road asap.

Edit: Just seen your reply. You’re speaking to the wrong people. Call the Duty Sergeant and ask to be put through to someone on Traffic ASAP.

squiff
    Free Member

Loddrik

Thanks lol.

Than again do I really want to go back on the road again or I might just stick to my MTB

squiff
    Free Member

hora

I see where you’re coming from. It’s been put forward to the traffic police and they are going to follow things up. But I will get on there backs about it sooner rather than later. I have never been in this situation before so am all bit puzzled of what to do.

Thanks for that soma_rich

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I sold my commuting bike shortly after my accident but was back to it about 3 months later as couldn’t afford to put the petrol in the car to sit in traffic for 45 minutes (it’s only 4 miles to work)! It does put you off cycling to work. The other option is to find a off road route in or use side streets where cars are (normally) going slower.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

You werent Bromley way were you? Friend of mine text me about someone who got twatted by a car last night that they stopped to help out…

squiff
    Free Member

treaclesponge

No, it was in Steeton between skipton and keighley, west yorkshire

thomthumb
    Free Member

get photos of your injuries today and as they develop. get photos of the bike. keep a diary of injuries.

get a solicitor on the case. i am dealing with russell, jones and walker (through the CTC) they’ve been really good.

If you are injured get pysio – it is well recognised by insurers that physio helps and will actually reduce your claim – so normally isn’t objected to.

squiff
    Free Member

neil853
    Free Member

will ring you tonight mate, thats hit the north out then?????

squiff
    Free Member

Hi neil

Am not going anywhere so yeah give us a call tonite

hora
    Free Member

It’s been put forward to the traffic police and they are going to follow things up. But I will get on there backs about it sooner rather than later. I have never been in this situation before so am all bit puzzled of what to do.

Hurray! Keep at it. It should be treated seriously. He left you on the floor and legged it.

If this happened to me (or anyone decent) I’d be absolutely horrified if I knocked a pedestrian, motorcyclist or cyclist over.

Sanny
    Free Member

Squiff

I’m going through the process at the moment after I was run into deliberately last August by a driver in Glasgow. I’m still waiting to hear when the court date is. Police advised that they would recommend a careless driving charge to the Fiscal.

The wheels of justice turn slowly unfortunately.

Document everything! All conversations with the police, what happened and when. It’s worth taking photos of the damage and keeping a record of any visit to your GP or A&E. It may be several months before you get a court date so record everything as it happened while it is fresh in your memory. Include details like time of day, road conditions, visibility etc.

Good luck and I’m glad it’s your bike being damaged I’m reading about and not something more serious.

Nick

so sore

Go and see a Doctor and get a full check-up asap (now), you don’t want any injury (eg to your back) to show up later, plus it will mean you can claim compensation if it’s justified.

nosedive
    Free Member

a similar, but much less serious, thing happened to a mate of mine. The police took it really seriously and acted quickly. I think this is because it was relatively easy to find the person from the registration and charge them. Hope you get a good response to.

Do you have legal cover on your house insurance ? You might be able to use that to start a civil case against them if they are identified.

good luck with everything

squiff
    Free Member

nosedive

Yes we do have legal cover on our house insurance. I am going to see what the police come back with and get advice from them.

Thanks to everyone for their input

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I used Pannone in Manchester for my Accident, very good, very quick, and got me a good payout for my bike and for injuries………..

hora
    Free Member

sanny what happened? I had this once with a JCB who decided I was too far out into the road and guided me towards the kerb with his bucket. Luckily I slammed on and veered behind him. I dread to think what might have happened and at the lights he said ‘you were taking up too much road’

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Keep at it and keep a record of all you injuries. It took over a year for me to get compensation for loss in a relatively simple accident where the driver admitted liablity all along.

Useless **** lawyers. Keep on them like a hound and keep tabs on the police to make SURE they are following it up too.

Smarty
    Free Member

Any news? The police should look this fella up. Not reporting it at least is very serious.

Recent news article I spotted this week where a van driver reversed over a cyclist: 😯

Although he stopped at the scene, the driver failed to report the incident to police and officers in Shropshire are currently trying to trace him.

willard

Glad you’re ok Squiff, as judging from the damage to your bike and what you said, it could have been a lot worse for you.

Keep on at people and get this sorted out. Most importantly though, make sure you haven’t done anything to yourself. Have you been checked out by the doc?

I know from past experience (BMW stopping coming out of a car park and stopping in front of me on a cycle track; cue bike stopping very quickly and me seeing a windscreen and tax disc fly past and a lovely landing on the other side) that it’s worth getting the aches and pains looked at.

billyboy
    Free Member

I think failing to stop after an accident where injury was caused makes it arrestable.

Going slightly less serious……….. I had a delivery van destroy my garden gate and wall last year. They stopped, had a look, dusted their bumper off and then drove off without giving anyone their details. The Cumbrian Homebeat Officer who I reported it was very reluctant to do anything. He even lied saying he had thoroughly investigated the matter when I knew he had not spoken to the three witnesses at all. After persistant cajoling from me he did send out ‘do it yourself’ statement forms and later said he had submitted a case file. I’ve heard nothing since so I’m thinking of rattling his cage a bit more.

It’s a shame when people don’t weant to do their jobs properly BUT it does seem prevelant SO like the other folks say…….persist with them…….make them do it.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Keep on at the Police to see what they will charge him with.

Was knocked off intentionally and the guy drove off in a little road rage incident a couple of years ago, got some compensation through CTC after a long drawn out bunch of negotiation with drivers insurance but left the prosecution to take its course. Driver was eventually given 3 points and a £60 fine for driving without due care and attention. 🙁

Hope it all ends well.

belugabob
    Free Member

Contact the insurance company and tell them that you will be claiming for transport costs incurred due to not having your bike available for commuting, that should focus their minds and hurry them along a bit.

When I was knocked off my bike, I was amazed by how long it took to sort the claim.
    They must have cost themselves more in administration than they actually paid out.

hora
    Free Member

billyboy I would recommend making a complaint against the Officer in question. He could be slack/avoiding work IMO (yes I know there are officers who are swamped with work however you are a **** taxpayer no?)

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/Pages/default.aspx

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Police can now arrest for ‘any’ offence, however, certain necesary criteria need to be applied when the officers and arrestee arrive at a police station. If the criteria is met, the arrestee is chucked in a cell.

Police can interview people without them being arrested for offences and report them to the local Court for a summons to be generated.

Keep on at them, not a high prority in policing terms I’m afraid but nagging phone calls etc help 🙄

squiff
    Free Member

UPDATE 😀

Police have been round to my house this morning to look at my bike. In fact we found to more cracks in the carbon, so 4 cracks in total. So the driver did a proper job of wrecking my bike.

The police say they have written to the driver and he has 28 days to response.

Also the police say that he is a mobility driver so that has got me thinking , etc.

I liked how the police was wanting to get this all sorted and get my bike/frame replaced.

Hopefully I will be good to go for hit the North. on my other bike of course.

It’s a right ball ache all this, dying to get back on the bike. 🙁

Still got a few aches and pains but a lot better than I was last thursday

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘WHAM BANG!!!!!!!! BROKEN BIKE’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts