Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Wellies
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

So-traipsing around the local bird reserve recently we came to the conclusion that we need some wellies to bung in the car for such occasions. The only ones I’ve ever owned have been for washing the car/bike and aren’t really very comfy for walking any distance. Can anyone recommend a make or style to look for that would be comfy for a 3-4 mile walk max. without crippling my feet.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

You will now start a massive debate on posh vs cheap.

I have some Le Chameau, neoprene lined wellies, they’re great, they’ve been going strong for a long time and get a lot of use, I’d gladly walk miles in them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have some Le Chameau, neoprene lined wellies, they’re great, they’ve been going strong for a long time and get a lot of use, I’d gladly walk miles in them.

Hear, hear!

Vierzonords for me. Avoid the zip up ones, though, go for the calf strap version.

sandwicheater

As a rule, buy cheap and you buy twice but the exception to this rule;

£10 Dunlop wellies. Walk the dog between 1-2 hours a day and longer on weekends. Generally last two years. Can’t fault them.

headfirst
    Free Member

+1 for Dunlop ones. Spending more is a sure sign of pretentiousness, and/or you’re a teenage girl off to her first music festival

wwaswas

Dunlop here.

but I did get some thermal insoles for a bit of extra insulation and cushioning.

geologist
    Free Member

Try uttingsoutdoors.com great reducution deals on ‘posh wellies,

chrisdw
    Free Member

Muc boot.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I did look online–eye watering prices for WELLIES??
    Heard good things about Dunlop-perhaps it’s true!

What about warmth then-normal walking socks O.K.?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did look online–eye watering prices for WELLIES??

Ever looked at bike prices?

You can buy cheap stuff, you can buy expensive stuff. Up to you which you go for, really. For wellies, I bought expensive ones, as IMO they’re more comfy, better made, have better grip and, quite simply, I like them!

sandwicheater

If frost on the ground I pop a walking sock on otherwise just what ever sock I have on that day.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Clothing has to be costed on a ‘per wear’ basis IMHO. My wellies were expensive, but they have lasted very well indeed and I have worn them enough times to make them cost pence per wear. For dry comfortable feet, a few pence is a bargain each time.

khani
    Free Member

And another for Dunlop wellies, the mrs got some Hunter ones and they leaked within a month, got some more under warranty and they did the same, the Dunlops are perfect, comfy with good grip and no leaks,
    1-2 muddy hours a day dog walking,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member
    If frost on the ground I pop a walking sock on otherwise just what ever sock I have on that day.

Sandwicheater and friends out for a walk, recently.

😉

tonyd

I had the same problem recently so after a thread on here I ordered some Muck Boots from t’internet. They were too large so I sent them back for the next size down, which were too small. No half sizes and they’re too wide for my feet I think. So far it’s cost me about 15 quid in postage for some boots I don’t yet own!

Go to a shop and try some on, buy the ones that fit the best whether they’re cheap or expensive. That’s what I’ll be doing 🙂

sandwicheater

You can see my belly button! 😳

flip
    Free Member
    CountZero

I bought a pair of Muckboots from Uttings, which were a fit that allowed me to wear neoprene boot-socks over a pair of regular thin socks. Not cheap, compared to Dunlops, at £75, but they’ve more than paid for themselves through the amount I’ve been wearing them over the last couple of years, when I’d have just stayed away from the countryside.
    First decent pair of wellies I’ve ever owned, and I couldn’t do without them now, really comfy too, I can do a five or six mile walk in mine easily.

woody21
    Free Member

Le Chameau are the business, as an alternative Muc Boots or Grubs

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If you read THIS thread then you will see what I had to say, but I did a 15 mile walk in them & they were fine, not cheap but not posh either, but importantly they do fit my feet.

Cheers.

jp-t853

I have had a pair of Seeland boots for about six years. They get a lot of use walking the dog, digging in the garden and fishing. They have a separate sole so they are good for walking.

LINK

deano8
    Free Member

Just bought some Town and Country wellies for £40 from the local garden centre. They were far more comfortable than Hunters and more comfortable than my trainers too:)

nuke

Decathlon are worth a look in for their own brand and other more expensive brands. I went with their own brand ones for around £45 and they have lasted well…3 to 4 years of regular dog walks and no major signs of wear

mattsccm
    Free Member

Chams are dead nice but mine don’t last. After about 8 years they start to crack and perish.
    ~Better than bloddy Hunters though. they are only worth buying if 15 quid from TKmaxx
    Neoprene ones are warm but hold the sweat
    New ones look posey Get them sh*tty soon. blood adds a touch of country elegance

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Wellies’ is closed to new replies.