Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • what muckboots..?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

My wellies have died and I remember a thread on here that muckboots were very well made and great for walking in, so which ones do people recommend?

sausagefingers
    Free Member

Tay Sports for me – very comfy and super toasty

nealglover
    Free Member

It depends what you want to use them for really.

They have different styles suitable for different uses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ninfan
    Free Member

Tay is a lot stiffer and clumpier than the trent

CountZero

I’ve got Tay’s, but I’ve just had a look at Uttings site, where I got mine from, and at Muckboots as well, and the Tay seems to have disappeared, possibly discontinued.

sweepy
    Free Member

Can’t remember what mine are called, and the range has changed a bit recently, but my tip is check the sole. Some, like mine have quite a soft, foamy sole. Ive heard that these wear quickly tho mine seem fine so far. I do mainly wear them in the snow, or canoe tho.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I got hunters a short while ago and they are shagged already, tread lasted around 6months and grip is useless, they are also quite uncomfy if walked in for an hour or more. I need good grip in the cow field behind our house which is generally at least 8″deep in muck, and dog walking the steep wooded areas behind it …
    will check out the tay’s, not heard of them.

good link, unfortunately they only in size 13’s

core

I’ve got sealand, neoprene lined wellies, ones with a gusset & adjustable strap on the side, were about £70 3 years ago, wear them loads, often all day, good grip, comfortable to walk in, warm.

pete68
    Free Member

Just ordered some muckboots today as it it happens. The Thurso. Those tays on countzeros link are only in size 13.

lump

These I fancy trying them out 😕

nealglover
    Free Member
    grim168
    Free Member

I had derwents and replaced them when worn out with thurso’s from uttings. Derwents were comfier but thurso are more robust.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tays here and still going strong 😀

tonyd

How do they size up?

obelix
    Free Member

Try Superlight Streams. I work as a forestry surveyor and cover anywhere from 7 – 15 miles a day over really rough ground. Mine are a year old and still going strong. Never cease to be amazed at how grippy their sole is, compared to my Scarpa hill-walking boots.

They’re made of a compressed foam, lighter than neoprene and rubber, but still with good insulation.

CountZero

Sorry about the size, I hadn’t checked that deeply. @carlphillips, my Tays are really comfy, I wear a pair of ankle-height neoprene boot socks in mine, with thin socks, and I’ve done eight or nine mile walks in them, best value for money boots I’ve ever owned, I couldn’t be without them now, especially with the wet weather we had over the last couple of years or so.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I was going to wade in with THESE, but seeing as the OP seems to want something for pretty serious use then I can’t really comment as I only use them for dog walking, having said that they are much better than the Hunters I had before & when I was trying them on in the shop they were far comfier than the Muck boots & Grub’s boot’s I tried on.

PS, I went in to buy muck boots & had a budget of ‘up to’ £100.

woody21
    Free Member

Grub Boots are similar to Muckboots, you may wish to consider them. You may wish to visit:

http://www.brocklehursts.com/

PePPeR

Muck boots are having issues with suppliers at the moment, my daughters place was selling all their stock off at half price because of this, again they have limited sizes left too.

Buckboots are very similar and they do proper steel toe capped versions. Only issue with muck boots is walking on concrete, be very very careful.

marcus
    Free Member

I wont be buying Muckboots again. – Mine are less than a year old and despite having been used mainly for walking the dog and gardening have split in several places. IMO they are no more hardwearing than a £20 Dunlop from the local merchants. They are warm and comfortable though.

PePPeR

Oops

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ thats mad, why have they split?
    I’ve used mine on the farm for the last two years and all good, this I don’t understand.. ❓
    As for socks/size, well I use marino socks, not thick ones just medium and all fine, size I chose a size that fits with the socks on.. Just happen to be a 9 but I only really use size as a guide having a high instep.. whatever fits well I buy.

marcus
    Free Member

bb – After all the good reviews I wasn’t expecting them to go quite so quickly. The splits are across the top of the forefoot where the wellie ‘folds’ when walking. – Clearly not damage from a sharp point or similar.

grim168
    Free Member

Our local country store have stopped selling the new range of muckboots. They said production had move to china. Your only supposed to wear normal socks under them. Sizewise I’m a 10 and muckboots measure up the same.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i like the superlite’s

and lol at 2unfit!! the alps de dartmoor are tough terrain!!

obelix
    Free Member

i like the superlite’s

You won’t regret it if you go for them. I work in Aberdeenshire, sometimes up in the Cairngorms around Braemar in winter, and they keep my tootsies toasty.

Superlight do the ‘Stream’ and the ‘Field’, I’ve had both and only difference I can tell is in the colour of the sole.

CountZero

The splits are across the top of the forefoot where the wellie ‘folds’ when walking. – Clearly not damage from a sharp point or similar.

Odd, I can’t say I’ve noticed my Tays folding and creasing across the top like that. They’re out in the car, I’ll have a shufti and see if there’s any creasing going on later.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Obelix, cheers, have found a pair at a good price. How do they come up size wise?

CountZero

grim168 – Member
    Our local country store have stopped selling the new range of muckboots. They said production had move to china

Hmmm, that’s not a good sign.

obelix
    Free Member

Sizing’s a little big, and the compressed foam does stretch / mould, so you could go a size smaller if you want. I’m usually an 11, and have them in 11 so I can get extra layer of socks when it’s properly cold.

Where’d you find some? Looking at getting another pair.

PePPeR

My daughters place had Derwents left in 11’s for about £24 a pair…

Got loads of girly style muckboots left all at half price too.

South Warwickshire.

mrmo
    Free Member

Our local country store have stopped selling the new range of muckboots. They said production had move to china.

same thing happened to Hunter and the quality went, time will tell

rab5474
    Free Member

It would appear superlites aren’t available anymore

carlphillips
    Free Member

@ obelix.

Here
    linky

In my size too

carlphillips
    Free Member

Update for those that g-a-s

ordered the superlites field version. they arrived today and look really well made and robust.
    I’m normally a size 9 or 43 in shoes so went for the 10’s with a welly sock on and they are a perfect fit, the ankle is narrow so i found it pretty (very) hard to get them off but they feel comfy when on, walking in them they felt ace straight away very very light and grip is fantastic, they are also very warm.
    in all i would recommend them!

oh they look huge though!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘what muckboots..?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts