Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Well that was a long ol' bike ride!! Sustrans route 2 tour…
  • DrP

I’d taken this week off,planning to have a little tour from Plymouth all the way back home (Worthing), following the Sustrans NCN route 2..
    I got the train to Plymouth on Sunday, and kipped over in Saltram park, the headed off on Monday.
    I’d originally planned to do it over 3 days, but realised that I actually get bored of my own company, and having reached the ‘designated bivi spot’ at 1400 on day one, I simply carried on riding until it got dark!
    I popped up the tarp, went to bed, and pretty much did the same thing on the second day!
    100ish miles and 2600m climbing on day one, and 150ishmiles and 1060m climbing day two!

So a 3 day tour turned into a two day one – it was nice to come back home and see the wife and child though!!

I’ll do a full write up on my blog soon, but for now here’s some photos from the trip 🙂

And for the stats/strava junkies..
    Day one
    Day two – even got a KOM!!

I’ve no idea how Mike Hall bashes out those miles day after day after day!!!

DrP

pictonroad

bored of your own company. 😆

D0NK

sterling work DrP!
    how much did all your gear weigh?

Excellent stuff. I like the idea of just going somewhere by train, then cycling home.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Brilliant!

Thats my local ferry your on right there, hope you took care of it 😆

Looks like a bloomin right old laugh that.

Jamie
    Free Member

Woof! Eh? Ladies!

kimbers

nice bit of escapism

so jealous, last week off before I start new job, indian summer………. broken hand arrrgggghhh

Moses

Very nice. I’m jealous.
    We need some pics of your bivvy set-up,though and how you pitched your tarp / tent / whatever.

acjim
    Free Member

Is that the Warsash Hamble ferry?

Nice ride!

DrP

All in all there were FIVE ferries involved!!!
    Sandbanks, Hythe, Hamble, Gosport, and Hayling…. ‘spensive times at sea!!

As for tarp pics – the first night I was in some odd archway thing (A Plymouth local is sure to recognise) and strung the tarp up between the scaffold that was holding it up..
    It was a bit baggy at the front, but I couldn’t be bothered to tension it!

The second night I was on a water company reservoir/mound thing (I think Dottery Reservoir just outside Bridport). I knew I wouldn’t be bothered there!
    Turning this:

Into this:

The bike (Tripster ATR) and all the ‘stuff’ came in at about 40lb..

DrP

kcal

lovely DrP.

acjim
    Free Member

Did you feed off exclusively Chips? 😉

Great bivvy action, makes me “kind of” jealous

DrP

Jamie… I’ve always wondered what I’d look like with a Burt Reynolds Tasche….
    Hmmm….If only someone could make that happen..

😉

DrP

TimP
    Free Member

DrP you are not the only one!
    Jamie…

hooli

Nice ride!

nedrapier

Nice pics, nice ride!

Why did you plump for the rack in the end? Ease of packing, I’m guessing?

DrP

I had too much stuff for the 8L seat pack.
    In hind sight I should have just taken less stuff, and just managed with the 8L alpkit stuff sack in the Wildcat seat pack!

Take less, do more!

DrP

Moses

What sleeping bag did you use? It looks pretty compact.

DrP

It’s nothing too special.. A mountain warehouse 2 season thing… I’ll get the actual model for you in a bit.
    It’s pretty compact. It’s also wrapped in the air bed,bivi bag, then stuffed into the sack and fixed to the bars…

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Late to the party but thanks DrP for your post and await an update on your blog. 😀

That was some distance you were covering each day so a bloomin’ well done for that and ferries definitely add to the excitement. Pardon the ignorance but was this on road only?

Hope I didn’t really put you off the Wessex Way (was just being honest) but reckon it would be a great ride. Don’t rule it out – just wear full body cover as I do. 🙂

DrP

C-G; about 80% of the route was tarmac road of varying quality.
    The other 20% was ‘gravel’ type track. Very similar to the Downs Link, for example.

As such, I think if one were to stick completely true to the NCN route 2 (as I did) then a proper road bike WOULDN’T be great for it – there’s simply too much grave/off road.
    However, a Tripster (know anyone who’s just got one, perchance… 😉 ) etc etc is the ideal bike for this – comfy for the long road stints, and manages the gravel sections with ease!

DrP

jobro
    Free Member

Well done on giving the Tripster a “proper ride” I’m sure Kinesis will be very pleased you have covered the A and the T in ATR!

Something you may be interested in doing next year:-

http://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/sarsen-trail

I really enjoyed this event. I guess you could call it gravel racing.

Thatll tick off the R right there 🙂

DrP

Ticking off the ‘R’ at the Wareham XC race on 2nd November!
    I also want to get my name down for the 3 peaks, and of course..now the sarsen trail looks good! Will read up on that!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Thanks DrP, useful info there. Believe it or not but I’ve just been through the complete bloomin’ thread (again!) to read up on tyres and mudguards. 😀

You plus other Tripster owners have inspired me to get organised!

The Neolithic Marathon – years ago I ran that, Avebury got me buzzing. 8)

whitey
    Free Member

Awsome journey! I will be doing this route in the next few weeks :-

Callington to Mt Hawke

I won’t be smashing it out though as I’ll be taking sight seeing detours along the way.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@drP you could have Kipped at mine.. I live 2 mins from saltram.

DrP

Well here you go – it took an age to write, but I finished the blog!!!

It’s a long one…

DrP

soma_rich
    Free Member

Great blog dude really enjoyable read, makes me want to get out for a night or two.

Are you riding at Swinley this weekend?

DrP

Up at the inlaws this weekend… which I’m actually looking forward to!

DrP

back2basics
    Free Member

niiice

molgrips
    Free Member

A rack?! Burn the heretic!

(I fancy a rack for bikepacking with but I get roundly abused for even considering it…)

wors

What an ace read! love it.

fionap

Good read, thanks. Did you climb up the hill out of Sidmouth to the Observatory? (I can’t zoom in on the Strava map for some reason.)

1-shed
    Free Member

Enjoyed your blog

DrP

Did you climb up the hill out of Sidmouth to the Observatory?

Yeah – I remember that! I think i may have walked a bit of it, as it was nearing the end of day 1!!

DrP

yunki
    Free Member

There’s a shot in your blog that looks very much like this one 😀

That’s High Peak.. Lot’s of (slightly cheeky in places) fun to be had on an MTB in the general vicinity..
    Peak Hill is a right of passage round here 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Terrific write-up there DrP, thank you. 8) Reckon that’s inspiring plenty of peeps to get out of their comfort zone and to enjoy the wonderful landscape of the UK.

Already looking forward to reading about the next one! It will be the Wessex Way won’it it?? 😀

DrP

Cheers for the kind words – I hope it inspires!

Not sure what the next adventure is… Trying to buy a house and have a baby, so life fairly busy at present!

Will be sure to update you all though!

DrP

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Great stuff, Dr P. Along similar lines (except your mileage and pace was significantly higher!) to my jaunt in September – road and lots of gravel make for great Tripster fun. I’m going to enjoy looking at that route, as I grew up in Weymouth so any excuse to ride that part of the world is a good one. Cracking pics as ever too. Happy days 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Well that was a long ol' bike ride!! Sustrans route 2 tour…’ is closed to new replies.