Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Well I've just done a French Sportive.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Yep, not like your average British one. All taken very very seriously, club jerseys everywhere, camper vans set up with crews, guys on turbos.
    We set off at 26mph average for the first 20km. The whole road was used, folk have got there heads down, they’re drafting cars, it’s mental. I just slipped to the back thinking **** me, and how I’d explain this to my insurers?
    Got to the first climb and it all went very quiet and very slow. If I could see them I could pass them.
    Then over the top they descend like mad, just cutting off every corner and bear in mind the roads weren’t closed. Crazy.
    Next climb it’s the same, pass all the crazies. Some are now walking, some are rolling around on the floor. As I near the top for the near 20km descent I pass a few that were next to us at the start and they’re dying and wonder how come they’re so far ahead.
    I took nearly 20 minutes to descend off the top, and posted a time 1 hour 30 minutes’ish slower than the fastest.
    Post ride free snack was pretty good. Red wine, rosé, water, salad, Duck and desert. Plus free T-shirt and arm warmers.
    Rather enjoyed it, but I wasn’t prepared to take such huge risks.

tlr

To be fair, that does sound like UK Sportives; riders who are crap uphill and dangerous downhill.

Liking the sound of the wine though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Iz it cause you were too scared to race properly 😛

Only joking – sounds mental and perhaps the roads should have been closed for the benefit of the drivers.

crikey
    Free Member

Were any horses harmed?

oldgit
    Free Member

Marshaling was great, they hold the traffic for you at junctions and the police controlled some of the roundabouts. But doing about 45/50 mph and just straightlining the corners off a 1700m and 1400m descent!

oldgit
    Free Member

Were any horses harmed?

Actually those bones in the cassoulet looked a bit big for Duck?

oldgit
    Free Member

Anyway I’m now gagging for a flat proper British road ride.

tonyg2003

Yep crazy descending is par for the course on French Sportives. I guy died coming of Col du Glandon when I did La Marmotte once and there were other serious injuries. I just descent like a wuss compared to them.

allthepies
    Free Member

FTFY.

It is in France 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Well I've just done a French Sportive.’ is closed to new replies.