Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Well I've been MTB'ing for 24 years & I have a question…
  • Garry_Lager

Sitting the as much of the tyre as possible in the central well of the rim is the most important thing for manipulating a tight tyre, regardless of levers.

For a real brute of a tubeless tyre you should finish at the valve.

As for the levers themselves, I guess techniques differ, but a sort of rapid chivvying on without excessive force is how I do it. Firm persuasion, not futile heaving on the levers.

martinhutch

I wait until I think it’s not looking before I try to get the last bit seated. Element of surprise coupled with a zen-like focus is key.

I’m also wondering how bloody strong Bez’s thumbs must be!

Speeder

Yellow Michelin ones but they’re like rocking horse poo so probably not.

A good substitute is the blue Schwalbe ones which both lock together so you don’t lose them (much) and lock onto the spokes so you can work around the rim.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I have Pedros they are really chunky so hopefully less likely to break, but more importantly bright colours rather than black – this means when you are in the dark woods in the pouring rain fixing a puncture you can actually find them again after you’ve dropped them. This has been a revelation for me. So will going tubeless no doubt.

martinhutch

It’s a pity Schwalbe levers are so soft (I’ve managed to bend a couple into uselessness), as this feature is actually pretty useful

atlaz
    Free Member

Blue park tools ones. Cheap as chips, pretty hard (NOT impossible) to break. I’ve got about a dozen in various kit bags, saddle packs, backpacks etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not that hard to do without levers. There’s a knack to it.

All the bead has to be in the well of the rim, otherwise you’ve got no chance. And you have to make sure you’ve worked your way around the rim gathering slack. And for refitting, there’s a technique of pushing the bead on.

I don’t carry levers, not sure I could find any. Last time I needed some I think was about ten years ago when I had some wire beaded Gatorskins on the road bike. Well, I say needed – I fixed a puncture on the roadside without them, but I wished I’d had some as it was a right struggle.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve some random metal levers but haven’t needed to use them in an age. Maybe road tyres are harder to get on than MTB?
    They are excellent however for dis-assembling children’s play equipment when they have those barbed and slotted joints so that’s what they get used for these days.

neilc1881
    Free Member

I thought I was reasonably competent at changing tyres and setting up tubeless until I got stranded the other day on my 27.5+. First time it’d got a flat and managed to break a pair of blue park levers trying to get the thing off the bead – and I think my fingers are reasonably strong (climbing), normally don’t need levers. It was cold out but I couldn’t get the tyre off at all (WTB trailblazer on Charge 40mm rims).
    Took me about 3 tries to get a tube in without it pinching, tried setting up tubeless but it’s that tight it splits the tape in the well of the rim. Steel levers are the only option in this case!

Bit of a hijack but anyone got any experience of good rim/tyre combos for 27.5+? Ideally tubeless and not too pricey!

benp1

I have park ones, MBUK ones (which are pedro copies), and pedros. I also have a couple of sets of cheap metal ones too

Pedros definitely the best (MBUK ones too)

I would have thought that metal ones would scuff the rim? That’s why I haven’t used mine

scotroutes

Bit of a hijack but anyone got any experience of good rim/tyre combos for 27.5+? Ideally tubeless and not too pricey!

I’m using Scraper i45s and Nobby Nics. No problems here. Easily set up tubeless using 50mm tape, Stans fluid, WTB valves and a track pump.

natrix
    Free Member

You need a tyrekey for Christmas, not a turkey 8) see https://www.tyrekey.com/

mike_p
    Free Member

Specialized Pry Babies (long since discontinued) are the best. Planet X used to do a knock-off version (obviously) which were just as good – the only time I’ve ever had cause to say something good about PX!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Well I've been MTB'ing for 24 years & I have a question…’ is closed to new replies.