Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Well I've been MTB'ing for 24 years & I have a question…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What tyre levers?

Just as an(other) extra for my lad for Xmas

Yep, you heard it, ‘what tyre levers’, I’m still using some I’ve had for donkeys years but he’s still using spoons.

What won’t break or damage the rim nowadays? 🙄

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Pedro’s

tomparkin

More of the same ones you’ve had for years? 🙂

More seriously I got some free from Alpkit at an event last year and I rate them.

jam-bo

Pink Pedro’s

orangeboy
    Free Member

In the shop we use pink pedros, theblink is easy to see so it’s hard to loose them.

And they last us longer than the park blue we used to use

tomhoward

Park heavy duty ones. Like bringing a Gatling gun to a knife fight

TL5C

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On bike – Lezyne Power
    In toolkit – Park BIG GUNS as above.

matt_outandabout

Park heavy duty ones.

+1

andy4d

I just got some schwalbe ones from zee germans. They are meant to help with tubless tyres as they clip onto the rim and stop it coming off as you faff to get it on. Not tried them yet but after the battle I had with my xr4s I thought they were worth a go.

seadog101

These…VAR Levers

sirromj

On bike – Pedros – feel and look very solid but so many places for mud to get stuck in

Workshop – Topeak Supersteel

scotroutes

Pedro’s.

And there’s no need for anything bigger. If he’s struggling with them, get someone competent to show him how to fit and remove a tyre.

Tracey

Superstar steel core have been good for us.

Bez

Literally cannot remember the last time I needed to use tyre levers…

burko73

crank bros things worked for me trying to fit wtb tcs tyres…

davosaurusrex

I love these Topeak ones, cheap too. Think I paid a tenner for mine a decade back

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/topeak-shuttle-tyre-levers-1-2

ton

soma steel inner ones. posh bastard me

accu
    Free Member

+1 for pedros

matthew_h
    Free Member

Literally cannot remember the last time I needed to use tyre levers…

Swoon!

Pedros here too

prawny

Park blue for me, I’ve got some Topeak shuttle levers somewhere too, I used them once and they did the job.

vondally
    Free Member

Bontrager

joshvegas
    Free Member

Schwalbes flat things.

They’re fantastic

TheBrick
    Free Member

Decathlon.

As others have said you don’t need the big ones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As others have said you don’t need the big ones.

There speaks someone who has never tried fitting box fresh Challenge ope tubulars.

Also, OK, 24?

akira

Red Bontrager ones.

rmacattack
    Free Member

flat head screwdriver

metalheart
    Free Member

If he’s struggling with them, get someone competent to show him how to fit and remove a tyre.

I’ve got a couple of WTB on scrapers to come off and the new Maxxis to go on. Thanks for the offer 😀

Do you collect?

martinhutch

Park plastic ones for me at the moment.

the00
    Free Member

If you’ve been biking that long, I’m surprised you have’t got some Greentyre levers – they’re the bomb!

Oh, and metal levers are the worst!

dc2.0

Greentyre! Were they the solid tyres that had a brief outing in the early 90s? It took zip ties and massive levers to fit the buggers in the shop I worked in. Terrible things especially if the shop boy did a big skid and flat spotted them

TiRed

Bez, you are welcome to try and install some fresh out of the box Corsa Speeds. I use the long Topeak for installation and removal. For all others I’ve been OK with thumbs, but the tubeless Corsa Speeds are just impossible.

mechanicaldope

Whatever ones that were in the Halfords puncture repair kit I brought 20 years ago. Still fine.

Bez

Yeah, I’m sure there are some tight buggers out there, but if I found them I’d probably stop using them for that reason. Mostly though I was just thinking of idly trolling tubeless users 😉

The one tyre lever I do still have just in case is the Crank Bros Speedlever. If that doesn’t get a tyre off, nothing will.

Northwind

Lezyne powerlevers are way better than Pedros- they’re thinner and have a perfect hook. The only downer is they’re not as strong- I’ve broken the tips off a couple over the years. But they’re cheap enough that I don’t care, since they do the job better than anything else I’ve tried

Garry_Lager

Northwind – Member

Lezyne powerlevers are way better than Pedros- they’re thinner and have a perfect hook. The only downer is they’re not as strong- I’ve broken the tips off a couple over the years. But they’re cheap enough that I don’t care, since they do the job better than anything else I’ve tried Do you find thinner is better? I have a set of decathlon ones that are quite flat and wide and they seem really good, more contact with the bead. Levered a vittoria tubeless cross XL on the other day absolutely nae bother, which is a known beast of a bead.

End of the day no tyre removal problem was ever solved with more force (although it might seem that way to the ham of fist). It is more technique that gets the job done – steel cores, strengthened levers etc make little difference if you know what you are doing.

Northwind

I mean thin in terms of thickness/fatness rather than width. So what you mean by flatter I think. I’d never really thought about width tbh

vincienup
    Free Member

I keep buying the blue Park ones. I’ve broken a couple but that’s fine, they’re cheap.

Agree with Bez. Tyres that won’t thumb on are a long walk waiting to happen. Levers should be for removing tyres.

shermer75
    Free Member

You need the thumbs of a cockney nutjob

mark d
    Free Member

Topeak Shuttle for me.
    The Park ones I’ve used for years can’t cope with tubeless or my daughters bike.
    Topeak Shuttle sorted them in minutes

cyclelife
    Free Member

Ok, can someone fully explain the correct method for removal and fitting as I get through loads of plastic levers.

Thanks!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Well I've been MTB'ing for 24 years & I have a question…’ is closed to new replies.