Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • well, it's a lights question (double shot upgrade)
  • scaredypants

Mate of mine has a cateye double (bars) & triple (hat) maybe 3yrs old
    The bar mounted one in particular is poor output, always was.

I did some googlage & I know they can be updated (trouble is, I suppose anything can be done

Has anyone actually done this, was it (REALLY) easy and how successful ?

Cheers

montylikesbeer

Go for a Deal Extreme DX bike light for £48.00 landed, its not worth ar$eing around unless you like playing with 'tronics

scaredypants

hmmm, he's got a (very) robust light, with a solid mount plus battery and charger

We were hoping for a "just buy these 2 LEDs for a tenner" type solution really

montylikesbeer

For sure you can stuff a new driver and some led's inside the alunimium case.

However the optics might not "work" with the new led's.

Also with new led's you will have more heat to dissipate as well as battery comparability and the Ah rating potential issues

You pal might be going up the alley and dishing wasted money.

The DX light and others using the P7 emitter have re written to a large extent what lights are now.

phiiiiil

I upgraded my Doubleshots a couple of years ago; the brightness didn't change much but it made them MUCH wider, so I considered it an evening with the soldering iron well spent.

It's a bit of a fiddly job – all the bolts and screws are threadlocked and made of cheese so care is required to remove them, the original LEDs are glued in place so it's a faff to remove them and then make sure the new ones are in the right place – but I'm not much of an electrician and my lights have been fine for two winters of commuting and a whole lot of night rides.

I keep wondering whether it would be worth replacing the LEDs I put in with newer ones…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘well, it's a lights question (double shot upgrade)’ is closed to new replies.