• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jim.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dalby Red Route
  • Fred
    Free Member

Is 2 hours 11 minutes a good time for the Dalby Red Route?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Yes very good.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It depends of your’e in a race or not. Good time if your’e racing but pretty rubbish if it’s just a casual ride. I’ve done it in 2.45 & that was too fast for me! I’d rather have taken 3.5 but my mate had to get back to wash his bike.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

yeh thats a good time… we do the red route (24) miles in about 2 hrs 50 mins.. but we are not rushing and have a stop half way round. we try to get around it twice a week. but as we get fitter i hope to see the time come down.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Any time is good as long as you enjoyed it! The fastest I’ve done a full red lap in is 1h42mins but I did set out specifically to get round as fast as I could.

haddock
    Free Member

Why not spend some time eating your sandwiches on the lovely bench that overlooks the Langdale and the North York Moors???

dickie
    Free Member

Have to agree with other 2hrs 11mins is a waste of a good ride!

willsimmons
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with riding fast if that is what you enjoy doing. If you want to faff around with sandwiches on a 35 km ride then that’s your call. Why does a ride have to be slower to be ‘good’?

ganic
    Free Member

because a fair number of ppl on here suffer from spreading tums and wobbly bums, therefore they dont have much choice, slow it is!

Anyway, why wouldnt you ride Dalby fast if you are able?? Its far more enjoyable to blast round, and sandwiches for a 23 mile ride?! Maybe at the end.

jonb
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s good as a time but it is good to “race” occasionallly even if it’s only against the clock. Makes you puch yourself that little bit harder, take risks on lines etc that otherwise you wouldn’t. Adds to the thrill and makes the flat/uphill bits more exciting as you are still going fast not plodding.

haddock
    Free Member

I do ride sections of Dalby fast, and i’m not against people training against the clock, i’m just pointing out that there’s more to biking than being an ‘off road’ time trials merchant. Enjoying the good views and looking at your surroundings is a big part of it to me, I’ve seen plenty of Deer, Birds of Prey, an Adder, plenty of Gel wrappers, and saddly a Slow Worm that had been run over by a bike (it probably didn’t heed the call of “rider right!”

Fred that time is very good by the way, if you want to gauge your speed. 😉

jim
    Free Member

Not really, I normally take 1:15 on my 650b rigid fixie.

</pointless willy waving>

haddock
    Free Member

wow 19.2mph average speed, you guys should be roadies – rider right!! 😥

nosemineb
    Free Member

Jim, Whilst i would love to believe you, i am struggling to.
    You must be pretty handy elite rider to go that fast. So please tell all.
    I think anywere around 2 hours is pretty good, So to go nearly twice as quick as that is impressive. if a little unbelievable.
    Good on you if you have!

Just read your post again, Sorry youre joking arent you?! [please be joking]

haddock
    Free Member

nosemineb

I have spent 1:14 on my arse bench looking at the view across Langdale, pretty good going!

jim
    Free Member

Just read your post again, Sorry youre joking arent you?! [please be joking]

Ha! Yes, totally joking. I’d usually be closer to 3 hours, but then I’ll stop for a play a dixons hollow, or walk back and re-do bits if I’m not happy with how I rode them. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with sitting back to enjoy the view.

Really I never understand the point of these kinds of questions – they lack any kind of context for deciding what might be construed as “good”.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Good time, quickest I did it in was midweek after a meeting in Scarbrough, did it in 1:50 so I could get a ride in, get home and go take my gfriend out for a meal

nosemineb
    Free Member

Jim, Phew glad we cleared that up!! 🙂
    Personally i always check the dalby threads hoping that people will post a time, I see it as an informal time trial, no prizes, just willy waving smugness. We just need a leader board and we have a race. We could even do a FUN cattergory for the sandwich eaters.
    Ben

tomlevell

Really I never understand the point of these kinds of questions – they lack any kind of context for deciding what might be construed as “good”.

Good in this context is obviously based on the shortest time.
    Most people seem to agree 2 hours is pretty quick.

I would guess properly fast people do it in 1 1/2 hours

jim
    Free Member

Most people seem to agree 2 hours is pretty quick.
    I would guess properly fast people do it in 1 1/2 hours

So is 2 hours fast enough to be “good”? Or do you have to do it in 1 1/2?

‘Tis all relative you see.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dalby Red Route’ is closed to new replies.