Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Well done Wikileaks
  • teef
    Free Member

Well done Wikileaks for exposing American lies and mistreatment of Iraqis. If it puts US troops at risk so be it – it wasn’t the leaking of the documents but their behaviour that’s the problem. Wikileaks are heroes in my eyes.

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s a terrible thing that went on but…

Forget the contents – someone leaked SECRET documents. I’m sorry, but no matter what the contents, that is wrong and there is no excuse. Find them and punish them to the full extent of the law.

Rachel

teef
    Free Member

If they’re exposing lies and it’s in the public interest I can’t see a problem with it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

why are they secret? To protect the guilty?

backhander
    Free Member

If it puts US troops at risk so be it

That’s a blinkered view IMO. The last thing the situation needs is stirring up. If the yanks get wound up, there’ll be more deaths on both sides plus civilians. Are you OK with this outcome?

allthegear
    Free Member

And do the leakers KNOW that they are not revealing other, possibly much more dangerous to OUR troops, information within the documents? No – they couldn’t possibly KNOW that in 400000 documents what looks like innocuous information can be pieced together with other innocuous information in other documents to create real information used to the advantage of people blowing up your neighbours.

There is no excuse.

kimbers

with the last lot of leaks the pentagon claimed the exact same thing
    that it might endanger specific individuals involved

afaik it hasnt resulted in any such thing

its just the standard military smokescreen to cover up the stuff they are ashamed of

once again ill post this has been an excellent series, not sure if its available on iplayer still……..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v3qt5
    propoganda or lies does it make a difference?

backhander
    Free Member

afaik it hasnt resulted in any such thing

must be true then.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’m with the op. The guilty should never be protected.
    If they’re man enough to do the crimes, then they need to be man enough to do the time

If these things keep getting covered up, then it will never stop

simonralli2
    Free Member

Of course the first lot of leaks a few weeks ago proved very useful to the US Government in justifying its war efforts in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and in maintaining the myth that Bin Laden is alive, and now these leaks support the view that Iran has been aiding Iraq. I would not be surprised if the financial backers of Wikileaks turn out to be those who actually benefit ultimately from these limited hang outs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well done Wikileaks for exposing American lies and mistreatment of Iraqis

Wasnt it more a case of turning a blind eye to Iraqi /companies mistreatement of Iraqis – not saying this is any better but you seem quick to balme the US when the perpetrators were other people – suspect they think others may do the same.
    Is anyone really surprised that the first casulity of war is truth and the US told a load of BS. This just confirms what everyone knew anyway.
    i dont have a problem with whistle blowers in general

enfht
    Free Member

i dont have a problem with whistle blowers in general

Just with rolling my R’s 😆

Hadge
    Free Member

Last week or so the BBC showed 2 films about what was going on in Irag, one about the insurgents and one about all things in general and it was shown on there that the US knew all about the torture by the Iraqi police etc and just let it happen! It really was mind boggling to watch. If you get chance use BBC iplayer to watch them.

backhander
    Free Member

Hadge, I think they’re the ones in kimbers’ links. Very good too. Would recommend them to anyone.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

“If it puts US troops at risk so be it”

What an absolutely stupid bloody thing to say.

Torminalis
    Free Member

What an absolutely stupid bloody thing to say.

Depends on your point of view.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

So you think it’s OK to put troops at risk then, what if was your kid who was out there fighting? Whether the war is justified or not it gives no reason for some tit after a bit of publicity for himself to do what he likes.

Torminalis
    Free Member

So you think it’s OK to put troops at risk then

I would suggest the US government did that by putting them into an immoral and illegal war for somewhat dubious reasons. Someone risking a great deal to get evidence of war crimes out into the public eye should be applauded.

backhander
    Free Member

It seems acceptable to wish death on soldiers on here for some reason. Personally I think wishing death on anyone is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Thats not what the arguement is about though, is it. The troops are there, fact. What Wikileaks has done is just let all the bloody do-gooders lose for a few days until they shuffle off and find something else to whinge about.

Torminalis
    Free Member

It seems acceptable to wish death on soldiers on here for some reason.

Are we reading the same thread? Give me 1 quote to that effect.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Move on Torminalis and try to find a thread more suited to your limited IQ. The quote I put in my first post, to which you objected, is just such an example you are after.

backhander
    Free Member

OK

Torminalis
    Free Member

bloody do-gooders

Yeah, screw human rights, screw the Iraqi/Afghan civilians, screw freedom.

I understand if you think the Americans should just be able to do what ever they choose without fear of accountability, I just disagree.

hora
    Free Member

As more comes out on this, for me it is really a glasses off and a really long hard rub of my eyes and face.

Back to misadventures of Saddam’s regime along with a Christian Super-power who thinks nothing of using firepower.

Wiki-leaks. Why didn’t the US say ‘thank you for bringing this to our attention, its disgusting’ instead of their actual response.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

“I understand if you think the Americans should just be able to do what ever they choose without fear of accountability, I just disagree”

Now you are beginning to look like a bit of a ****, mate.

Torminalis
    Free Member

That is not wishing harm on them, it is acknowledging that certain facts, when revealed may or may not increase the likelihood of some people coming to harm. A world away from wishing harm upon them.

Hadge
    Free Member

There are clearly two wrongs here – the second though is the result from the first action. The second war and invasion of Iraq was totally and utterly wrong and for all the wrong reasons. It’s clearly been proved the WMD’s did not exist. The subsequent stationing of the troops was wrong, the whole saga of what happened was so wrong and the US especially should be made to face justice for their actiosn as should those from our government especially those who buried their heads in the sands when they clearly knew all those attrocities were going on and the Iraqi’s were killing themselves. As a total outsider to all thsi, the programmes the BBC showed made me feel sick that a country like ours could allow this to happen and worse still, lives of our soldiers were lost for such actions. I understand that there are times when wars unfortunately have to be fought for freedom and against oppression but the second war against Iraq was NEVER that and countless lives of totally innocent children, civilians and soldiers have been lost for nothing!
    The leaks by those has endangered the lives of some and is wrong but it’s a wrong action for something that never should have happened in the first place.

backhander
    Free Member

Torminalis Bollocks.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Now you are beginning to look like a bit of a ****, mate.

Torminalis Bollocks.

Nice to STW at its intellectual best.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

backhander – Member

If the yanks get wound up, there’ll be more deaths on both sides plus civilians.

Probably best not to upset them then……………they sound like a right nasty bunch 😐

nickc

The US and UK have condemned the leak, the largest in US military history, with both US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the UK’s Ministry of Defence suggesting the disclosures put lives at risk.

standard response from Govt, be very angry at however exposed mis treatment in a bid to deflect attention away from the actual facts, ie, the mistreatment of Iraqis. They did the same thing when the same documents were released about Afghanistan.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I have both friends and a member of family serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. At this moment in time I don’t really care why they are there, more that they are there and I just want them to make it back home safely. I hear too many people harping on about the rights and wrongs of the war but never give a second thought to the people who are actually serving out there. I don’t necessary agree with the war, but like everyone else on here I don’t know all the facts, just what we have been drip fed by the media. As far as I am concerned anything that is done to put their life, or any other forces, at risk is simply wrong and you can argue all night but you won’t convince me otherwise.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

At this moment in time I don’t really care why they are there

You see that might be the problem – you don’t care.

Whilst the locals on the other hand, might.

How come someone you know is serving in Iraq btw……are they with the Yanks ?

backhander
    Free Member

Probably best not to upset them then……………they sound like a right nasty bunch

You’re absolutely right ern. Insurgents start shooting at yanks because they’re angry about leaks. Yanks start shooting back (naturally). There’s only going to be one outcome.
    I really don’t understand why the yank govt hasn’t just shut the site down, they could quite easily I think. Bit fishy if you ask me.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

God-Father’s son is in Iraq, who is an American as it happens.

Think I’ll take the dog for a walk, will get more sense out of him.

timdrayton
    Free Member

I do wonder wether there has been a dramatic increase in governmental/army evil doing, or just an increase in effective communication?

Dunno where this leaves us as a race though, hopefully at a place where doing this knd of stuff becomes too costly a pr disaster.

Northwind

chunkymonkey – Member

“God-Father’s son is in Iraq, who is an American as it happens.”

Then why is it you’re angry at the leak, rather than angry at the truth that’s been revealed?

project
    Free Member

Pull the troopps out sve money and lives.

EASY,

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You’re absolutely right ern. Insurgents start shooting at yanks because they’re angry about leaks.

Ah right. Only you said “if the yanks get wound up” not “if the insurgents get wound up”.
    Which suggests that you were more worried yanks than the insurgents.

Although I’m a little surprised that the insurgents would get “angry about leaks”…….surely they would be pleased about them – no ? 😕

Or are suggesting the insurgents have to read Wikileaks to find out what is happening in their country ?

😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Well done Wikileaks’ is closed to new replies.