Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Weld it, ride it,…..or Bin It! (cracked meta frame)
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

Hair line crack on top tube,pretty marginal but a bit worrying.. 😥

2007 Meta 5.5 2000 miles,long travel fork.very hard use though.

Anyone successfully welded a frame in this area?

taka
    Free Member

I think you should bin it… where do you live???for bin routing purposes.. :mrgreen:

catnash
    Free Member

What's the warranty on a meta? There's plenty of aluminium welders about the place.

swisstony
    Free Member

you're joining a very long list of commencal owners with cracked frames, warranty? if not bin it.

woodey
    Free Member

What length fork?

XXX
    Free Member

That's about to let go…
    I would try the importer as the warranty is good even for SH bikes

solamanda
    Free Member

If its cracked that far at that angle, is likely the rest of the tube is soon to go the same way. Think how much flex has been going through only part of the tube.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its a month out of Warranty,but to be honest it would be void anyway with running a Fox 36,Its been a great bike though,and i would still get another if they would sort the frame/weld cracking issues. 🙄

Warranty is two years I think,its had a flog around the lakes today and not got any worse,might have ago at getting it repaired. 😯

XXX
    Free Member

Out of warranty or not they should try and help you out. New ones have big gussets in that area…

You could try a repair but you will need to know the Al grade for the post weld heat treat. I wouldn't as its very likely to fail again.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

A friend of Mine did (well not quite) the Mega Avelanche this year on a Meta 5 (2006)With the below catastrophic results!!

Note that the frame has gone in exactly the same place as the crack on my top tube! 😥 sorry the pics a bit small

superdan

I've just killed another of the new ones riding at Glentress this weekend taking the total to 3 2009 frames cracked so far, for a total of 4 months of actual riding between times the frame was away for warrenty.

You riding Tuesday night Gav?

Dan

uplink
    Free Member

Its a month out of Warranty,but to be honest it would be void anyway with running a Fox 36

& how exactly would they know which fork you were running?

taka
    Free Member

gaVgAs fancy selling it?

tom

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"& how exactly would they know which fork you were running?"

I might be wrong but only a long travel fork would cause a stress fracture like that,on that part of the frame.

I know that the meta is designed (and tested) for a 5ins fork and no more. 😥

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Yep should be out Tues,cheers Dan 😀

JohnnyPanic

Have to say, I've seen plenty of pics of cracked Meta's but not one there before and not on a 2007 either but only a month out of warranty?
    Try it – you've got nothing to loose and a nice new 2010 frame to gain (maybe).

allyharp

It's clear to see that Commencal have some quality issues. They're fast getting a bad name and they will know it.

The best way out for them is to back it up with great customer service.

So it's in their best interests to help you out… but let us know what they do 😉

boxelder

I'm sure your friendly local dealer would send it back with helpful references…… 😉

rootes1

yer send it back – just the frame – contact the importer first

richc
    Free Member

send it back, or bin it, as it ain't going to last much longer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Weld it, ride it,…..or Bin It! (cracked meta frame)’ is closed to new replies.