Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Weight loss programme…
  • ninepack
    Free Member

Ok, so we just returned from Luchon after two weeks in the Pyrenees slogging up and hoofing down some incredible terrain. Kate & Ian at AQR were amazing and made the trip so much fun and we learnt a lot, as we’re relative noobs.

I’ve managed to lug my 17kg patriot up some biblical climbs & whilst it’s been a hoot on the DH sections and even road descents, it’s a little too hefty for my lungs and legs (as Ian will testify to after having a ride on it for nostalgia’s sake). I was maybe going to replace it but dammit I love the frame, it just needs some lighter bits. Ian advised me to replace the:
    1) heavy but expensive fox coil shock with a gas shock with a simpler pro pedal arrangement (sorry, don’t know much about it but Ian said its a bloody good one but heavy, Ian said it was about £450 new)
    2) chain set (truvativ howitzer), double with a basher (bottom bracket is goosed now too after the trip)
    3) Sherman Manitou 180 triple clamp forks which will probably mean brakes replacement too (currently troublesome Hope mono M4). It rides too high at the front to climb well but if I can get some adjustable ones to have best of both that would be great.
    4) entire wheels which are very heavy DH things.

The rest of it is pretty light as I found out when I dismantled it to put in the flight case. I would really welcome your suggestions as there’s so much stuff out there I’m overwhelmed and bewildered. Budget is not endless but I can flog the heavy DH bits to offset some of the cost. Of course if anyone wants some of these bits just ask. It’s all in damn good nick but I need weight watchers stuff now.

Cheezpleez

Wheels will make the most difference. Stan’s Flow on Hope will save some weight, or try Superstar hubs for a cheaper option.

Chain set – SLX gives by far the best balance of weight, performance and price.

Decent 160mm forks, which sounds like what you need, aren’t cheap. I just bought some X-Fusion Vengeance which are prob the cheapest of the new options, and they’re very good so far. Otherwise, look around for s/h Lyriks or Fox 36s but be careful what you buy and be prepared to add the cost of a service to the price at a minimum.

As far as the shock goes, there’s a bunch of options. I’m no expert but have always had good results from Fox air shocks. The Cane Creek Double Barrel air gets good reviews but it’s pricey.

Other than that, think about buying a whole bike either second hand or a discounted last year’s model. I think Rutland Cycles are knocking out a Lapierre Spicy for about £1200 at the mo, which might be worth a look. Something like that may end up being your best and cheapest option.

ninepack
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I’ll do some searching round. I do have a soft spot for the Patriot frame so I’ll see if I can make the old girl a little lighter on the ground.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss programme…’ is closed to new replies.