Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • This weeks car 'v' cyclist incident – advice needed.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Coming back from work this afternoon I was indicating clearly to turn right into where I work with a van in front of me and a 7.5t skip lorry behind me.

Because of the van in front I couldn’t see clearly enough to turn so I held my position in the middle of the road to stop the lorry from coming up the inside of me. Unfortunately the lorry and I weren’t on the same wavelength and he tried to squeeze by me thus hitting my back wheel and pushing me into the oncoming lane. Thankfully no damage to me or bike but I do believe this incident is worthy of reporting as I see this as putting me in danger.

I have had a lot of close shaves in the past, but this is the worst I’ve had (fortunate in some ways I guess) and it’s left me shaken and I’m unsure what I need to do. I’ve tried phoning 101 but no answer and been to my local police station and they are shut between 2 & 3. 🙄

In the next couple of hours I need to decide what to do. I am definitely going to report it but do I just report it to the police and leave it at that or do I also contact the company of the lorry too? I have the registration No., the company name and a witness too.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

DrP

Jeesh – glad you’re alright.
    TBH – Report to company and police. This is dangerous driving, and if not reported, it “didn’t happen”.

DrP

binners

Take yer pick…..

druidh
    Free Member

Definitely report it to the police.

Try contacting the company too – especially if it is a “larger” company. They might be interested in why a driver left the scene of an accident.

richmtb

Hit my a skip lorry and no harm to you or the bike.

I’d buy a Euromillions ticket.

Did the driver stop? Did you get any of his details?

I would defo report to police and the skip lorry company too.

Hard to know what the outcome would be if there is no damage to you or your bike though. Pursuing the police to charge the driver with a driving offence is nigh on impossible. As nothing was damaged you aren’t going to get any monetary compensation either.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

richmtb, it’s not about the lack of damage or no injury or trying to prosecute, but more about making the driver aware of his actions. The next person might not be so lucky!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If no damage was done, that’s great.
    But tell the rozzers, they should track the driver down. If he’s done anything similar before, he’ll get in trouble. If he’s not, he’ll get a severe telling off and a warning and hopefully won’t do it again for fear of losing his job.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-got-side-swiped-by-a-school-bus

Since I got the bus driver caught, all the bus drivers in my town have been a lot more considerate to me 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

Sounds scarey ! But with no damage or injury and no independent witnesses who’s to say an accident happened ? I wouldn’t waste my time with the police.
    Might be worth phoning the skip company, but around here the biggest thug is the one running the place !

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

taxi25,

I have the registration No., the company name and a witness too.

richmtb

richmtb, it’s not about the lack of damage or no injury or trying to prosecute, but more about making the driver aware of his actions. The next person might not be so lucky!

Which is why i said this

I would defo report to police and the skip lorry company too.

You are probably better off pursuing the lorry company

butcher

That’s a pretty scary situation, and the next guy might not be so lucky. If he didn’t stop it’s a pretty serious offence.

Report him to both, I say.

taxi25
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t read the witness bit. Give the police a call if you think it’ll help. I’m a bit cynical about the police doing much in this sort of circumstance. You never know, maybe the ” Wiggins effect ” might help a bit.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Sorry, reading my replies comes across as being very defensive.

Thanks for the input all. What I’ll probably do is speak to the police first and gauge their reaction before I see whether I need to contact the company.

They are a small local company and hopefully they’ll take it seriously if I speak to them. They are also a company that we use to buy gas from too so maybe a quite word to my MD if they dismiss it. 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You are probably better off pursuing the lorry company

I wouldn’t. They may well say they’ll pursue it, but laugh it off as soon as they’ve put the phone down. Get Plod involved, then its all official, especially if you get a cyclist-friendly poliseman like I did.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Leaving the scene of an accident” WTF

PrinceJohn

I would also get the bike checked out by a bike shop as by pushing you the driver may have buckled a wheel or pushed the frame out of alignment.

donsimon
    Free Member

Any whiplash?

In the next couple of hours I need to decide what to do. I am definitely going to report it but do I just report it to the police and leave it at that or do I also contact the company of the lorry too? I have the registration No., the company name and a witness too.

Last incedent I had, I talked directly to the comapany and the police. The company said that the driver was an agency driver and that he would have a mark against him on his working history.
    The police fired off an email just to let them know that there was a record.
    Only useful really if the driver doesn’t learn anything and continues driving like an idiot.

Good luck with it all.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Report it to the skip company.
    Some wont give a monkeys. Some will.
    I work as an hgv driver and my boss is a keen roadie.
    if it,s a small company it,s quite likely they wont care.

irc

The driver wasn’t legally required to stop as it wasn’t a reportable road accident – no damage or injury.

Dangerous or careless driving though, obviously.

myheadsashed

If he didn’t stop how would he know if there was damage or injury?

cinnamon_girl

Hey Mulletus – glad you’re in one piece but a pretty scary experience nonetheless. Definitely report it.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Decided to report it.

I filled in a incident report giving all mine and the witnesses details and an explanation of what happened and was given an incident number.

They are now going to look at it, speak to the witness and from there they will pull the guy in and have a word with him.

I’m not interested in prosecuting, besides, there’s probably not enough to go on anyway. All I want is for him to be pulled in and maybe he might learn from it and think again when he see’s another cyclist on the road. They also said not to contact the company as they need to carry out enquiries so I’ll leave it to them for the time being.

Thanks all.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not interested in prosecuting,

I think the Police generally react well to this kind of attitude for this type of incedent.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2 witnesses…surely you can do him for careless at least?

His next victim might not be so lucky…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Good call.
    Let us know what hear back from Plod if they get anywhere.

watsontony
    Free Member

i would be braking my bike. or would at least wake up with a very bad back and have to go to the hospital. its to be expected.

watsontony
    Free Member

They also said not to contact the company as they need to carry out enquiries so I’ll leave it to them for the time being.

i would email them at least. if pold do nout then at least you have told them about it when its happend rather than weeks down the line

ir_bandito
    Free Member

i would email them at least. if pold do nout then at least you have told them about it when its happend rather than weeks down the line

NO!

When Plod turn up on their doorstep, they’ll be ready with excuses/alibis/lies.
    If they’re not expecting it, they’ll be shocked into reacting “correctly”

project
    Free Member

Always report it, next person may be under the wheels and not be able to report the accident.

cynic-al
    Free Member

watsontony – Member
    i would be braking my bike. or would at least wake up with a very bad back and have to go to the hospital. its to be expected.

You quite happy to pay for the increase in my premium?

Thought not 🙄

racefaceec90

i have nothing constructive to add,only that i’m glad you’re ok 😯

thekingisdead
    Free Member

always report. I just nearly got sideswiped at a set of lights about an hour ago. Ambulance pulls up next to me and the paramedic just wound down the window and said “we were ready to scoop you up!” :-O

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘This weeks car 'v' cyclist incident – advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.