Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Weight loss hints/tips?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Other than eat less/do more?

5 smaller meals a day (to avoid storing then burning off energy, leaving the fat behind)

Eat less healthy but nececary foods (simple sugars like fruits) before lunch to make sure its all burnt off.

Dont drink suggary energy drinks during excercise, drining water (or electrolyte) encourages the body to burn somethign like 40% more fat.

Anyone got any other good tips? I don’t fancy a complete change of diet as it’s already pretty healthy and don’t want to impose some faddy reigime on the missus at mealtimes, I’ve just halved protion sizes and added ‘snacks’ mid morning and afternoon.

Brekie – apple, bannana, coffee (1 part espresso, one part skimmed milk, 1/2 sugar), pint of hot/warm orange squash.

8 mile comute by bike.

Mid morning – porrige

Lunch – whatever, 50/50 soup or a propper (small) meal

Afternoon – Biscuits/toast/slice of cake

8 mile commute home, with swimming 4x a week (~600m/20min)

Dinner – something normal, aiming for more protein but smaller than I’d normaly have considdered portion size.

We’re going on a beach holliday at the end of April so really want to shed as many pounds as possible before then!

Cougar

Swap your lardy afternoon snack for a Graze box perhaps?

Jamie
    Free Member

Swap out the afternoon snack for fruit and slightly adjust your meals to have a higher protein content. You should be fine.

I have found losing weight is easy. It is keeping it off that is tricky 😉

sadexpunk

Google ‘intermittent fasting’. might not be for you but worth looking into.

thomthumb
    Free Member

thats still a lot of food.

your breakfast (the first one) is made entirely of sugar!

average day for me (or at least trying to):

breakfast: cereal & 2 toast.
    lunch: 2 rolls / 6 ryvita marmite
    afternoon: 3 rice cakes/ piece of fruit
    dinner

and try and drink more water.

jonb
    Free Member

Take an objective look at what you eat for a few weeks. Write down everything.

Look at where you are getting empty calories and substitute those items.

600m in 20 minutes is a warm up. Go less and longer/faster. Just pootling around usesvery little energy. Same for commuting, up the tempo or take a scenic route to make it up to 15 miles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Afternoon snack is usualy healthy, quite often dried fruit/nut mix, but is equaly often tea with biscuits/toast/cake (small slice), its my one treat of the day and is usualy folowed by the commute and swim so there is a need for at least some calories, or at least I’m burning them off even if theyr enot strictly nececary!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a shoulder injury so limited to breastroke (no crawl and backstroke is a bit antisocial in a busy pool), agreed, I’d normaly think of a swim session as 2500m+/hour of crawl minimum but I’ve not been in a while and the injury is stopping me doing crawl.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Lose the afternoon snack completely and up the swimming, 24 lengths is bugger all, double it at least and you may burn around 300 cals, nowt wrong with breaststroke it’s great for all over toning and far more sociable if you are not lane swimming.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Chuff me I would be a stick insect if I only ate that amount!

Then adding on doing that much exercise and I’d be passing out.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m getting into stews atm. I figure they’re pretty low fat, have loads of veg in and you can control the protein pretty easily. As it’s a complete meal in a bowl it’s also easy to control portion size. Takes a bit of hassle to prepare (although apparently you can get frozen prepared stew veg packs…) but if you make a big pot up it will last a couple of days for two people.

Not sure I agree with your no sugary drinks during exercise thing – not needed if you’re exercising under 1.5 hours but unless you’re exercising at a very low intensity you’re going to need something more than water to be able sustain the exercise after about 2 hours.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

I drink 50/50 orange juice and water with a hint of salt during rides, better to start eating once on bike rather than have the fruit before the training rides.

Try and only have fruit after excersize and during, your breakfast as mentioned is very sugary and better to have some oats with nuts mixed in with full fat milk in mornings with some scrambled eggs.

Overall try and cut out refined carbs, such as white pasta/bread etc during normal days but can be eaten after a long ride to help replenish the energy stores in the body to help recovery.

Jamie
    Free Member

Incidentally, was listening to R4 in the car today, and Women’s Hour was a diet special so might be worth a listen on iPlayer.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I tell you what’s helped me is eating 2 poached eggs on toast in the morning. I no longer get hunger at 11.

I actually don’t feel hungry till 2 or 3

Also get the idave diet.. very good info

soobalias
    Free Member

dont confuse your words, your healthy afternoon snack of dried fruit or nuts is sugar or fat.

if you like the idea of eating 6 times a day rather than 3, your 3 snacks should be removed from the 3 meals, not in addition to.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I do quite a bit of exercise and dont eat really enough which has the effect of making me not very fat at all. I am 6’2″ and used to weigh a steady 12.5 stone I think (this was based on a diet of eating whatever I liked, apart from animals) but I’ve fair kained the road riding this year and I also decided not to eat sugary/fatty food cos I imagined they were bad for me.

Consequently I now weigh about 10.5 stone without really putting any thought into it.

Whenever I go road cycling I do about 30miles in about 1.5 hours so I fairly push myself. I never drink any energy drinks or take any gels or out. I dont think you need to.

So to sum up, fairly short, hard road miles combined with not eating much chocolate or sweets.

Jamie
    Free Member

So to sum up, fairly short, hard road miles combined with not eating much chocolate or sweets.

This makes me think even more I need to get a road bike.

*heads off to ebay/classifieds*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dried fruit or nuts is sugar or fat.

True but its got to be better than a mars bar?

Not sure I agree with your no sugary drinks during exercise thing

I was thinking allong the lines of the average gym session or evening ride so <1.5hours.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This makes me think even more I need to get a road bike.

I damaged the ligaments in my left leg and a physio told me to do more cycling to strengthen my knee. I got a road bike because i wanted to fix my knee basically. It requires less effort/motivation to go for a road ride than a mtb ride.

My knee feels better and I also lost quite alot of weight that i didnt really need to.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

dried fruit or nuts is sugar or fat.

True but its got to be better than a mars bar?

Thats what I thought

goog
    Free Member

nookie …. lots of it 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

Road bikes are good but you still need to use them so that’s still either boring turbo sessions or getting out in the cold/wet/snow/dark :p

_tom_
    Free Member

Road bikes are more motivating for fitness rides as you’re going faster and don’t have draggy tyres slowing you down. Get something singlespeed, will force you to work harder but may be slower than someone on a geared bike.

What worked for me is a minimum of 6 road miles a day on the bike and cutting down portions considerably. It’s not really that hard and just takes ages the way I’ve done it, but it’s sustainable for me and I’ve not put on any weight in 2-3 years I’ve been doing it (and lost just over 6 stone).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeah true dat. Last winter I rode my bike 3 nights per week (whatever the weather) and at least one ride at the weekend, because I wanted to fix my leg.

This winter I havent ridden at night much at all.

Its still far easier cycling from your door than loading mtb into the car, getting to the trails, getting mtb out of the car, riding, loading the car with muddy mtb, driving home, unloading the car, showering, washing mtb clothes etc. etc.

soobalias
    Free Member

exactly, you wouldnt justify a mars mid afternoon if you wanted to lose weight, fruit and nuts might be better*, but not much

do you mean better, or healthier?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id say get a geared road bike unless you live somewhere flat. If I cycle over wrynose pass it requires alot of effort, if I had a single speed I would be walking and not putting in much effort.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dont drink suggary energy drinks during excercise, drining water (or electrolyte) encourages the body to burn somethign like 40% more fat.

That’s a bit of rubbish. Your body will always choose to burn fat as much as it can. If you demand more exertion than it can supply from fat then that’s when you’ll burn carbs. If you run out of those carbs you’ll

Drinking or eating carbs when riding can help you ride further and a lot faster, and hence burn more fat in the process. Not least from post-exercise metabolism boost.

But really it all depends on what kind of riding you are doing.

Jamie
    Free Member

goog:

nookie …. lots of it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUILJZgmVyg[/video]

Whoops…wrong thread 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Might sell the turbo as it seems to be a tripple whammy.

1) Can’t motivate myself to use it
    2) It ties up my road bike as I can’t find my spare rear wheel and don’t want the faff of swaping tyres.
    3) When I do use it it just puts me off cycling in general, I’d rather do 8 miles on the road in the rain than 30 minutes on the Turbo and probably be more likely to go out again in the rain!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont have a turbo trainer, but I reckon the key to it would be some sort of training routine/programme.

If you just go on it and ride till your bored then you’ll be off it in 10 minutes.

If you have some sort of plan like, 5 mins warm up, 3 mins as hard as you can, 5 minute breather, another hard 3 minutes etc. your more likely to do it i would say

molgrips
    Free Member

Turbos are crap. I’d rather ride in the p*ssing rain. Don’t you live Reading way? Hundreds of miles of beautiful road riding down there, get on with it 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

rollers for me.. weirdly i actually quite enjoy them. Much moreinteresting than turbos and i only spend a max of 30 – 40 mins on them

Oh.. and the thing about nuts. Yes they have fat but they are high in unsaturated fats. You need fat in your diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsaturated_fat

goog
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

goog:

nookie …. lots of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUILJZgmVyg

Whoops…wrong thread

I dunno it’d prolly help …..you ever see a fat raver 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

what do you do on the turbo? you need an interesting plan to keep you entertained.

_tom_
    Free Member

Id say get a geared road bike unless you live somewhere flat. If I cycle over wrynose pass it requires alot of effort, if I had a single speed I would be walking and not putting in much effort.

Good point actually, I forgot not everyone lives in the east mids where our hills are virtually non existant 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

in no particluar order.

amphetatimes and happy hardcore.

yeah ditch the turbo.

think you will find there is already plenty of fat in that diet.

andy7t2
    Free Member

I am 6’2″ and used to weigh a steady 12.5 stone I think (this was based on a diet of eating whatever I liked, apart from animals) but I’ve fair kained the road riding this year and I also decided not to eat sugary/fatty food cos I imagined they were bad for me.

Consequently I now weigh about 10.5 stone without really putting any thought into it.

Duck me that’s light i’m 6ft 2 and weight 13.5 could do with losing 1/2 stone but any more and i’d disappear

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

10.5 stone and 6’2″… seriously?!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Duck me that’s light i’m 6ft 2 and weight 13.5 could do with losing 1/2 stone but any more and i’d disappear

When i had a fitness test a while back. The guy said Oli becknigsale is 6ft and weighs 65kg!!!

maxray
    Free Member

A full cycle to work is 23miles tho i currently split it with a train so it is 6 miles. So would you be better doing a big ride at the start of the day ro the end of the day from a weight loss perspective or would there be no difference?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss hints/tips?’ is closed to new replies.