Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Weight loss hints/tips?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

6′ on the dot and if i weighed 10.5 stone i’d have people worrying about my health constantly… you ok dude? 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

10.5 stone and 6’2″… seriously?!

It was about that last time I weighed myself, but I havent done that for a while so I may have put on 1, or maybe even 2 lb’s over winter!

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Exercise is important but its virtually all diet with regard to weight loss. Depending on how serious you are about it then reading up on the subject is a very good idea.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do your scales work properly? That is bloody light for someone of your height…

If I’m really dehydrated I can drop a couple of lb below 12 stone, and I’m 5’10”!

Jamie
    Free Member

10.5 stone and 6’2″… seriously?!

I am a dwarf like 5’7″ and anything under 10.5 stone* I get asked if I am ill.

*Currently a festive 12 stone.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do your scales work properly?

I dont know for sure, maybe not?

huws
    Free Member

Fatties.

5’10” and 62kg here and still carrying a little spare on the waist. Down from 85kg in October ’09, all done through a huge reduction in calorie intake.

God I’m hungry.

epicyclo

trickydisco – Member
    I tell you what’s helped me is eating 2 poached eggs on toast in the morning. I no longer get hunger at 11.

That is basically what used to be the technique in the 50s & 60s for cyclists who wanted to lose weight for climbs.

1. Go out before breakfast on the bike. Take nothing but plain water.
    2. Ride a route so that you arrive home at the edge of bonk.
    3. Multiple eggs on toast and a couple of cups of sweet tea. Orange juice.

Do this for a few weeks and you’ll see a difference even if you don’t change anything else.

I’ve tried it and it worked for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

5’10” and 62kg

Must be a bugger not being able to go outside on a windy day.

…or do you wear a pair of these? 😉

huws
    Free Member

Must be a bugger not being able to go outside on a windy day.

worth a few windy days indoors for the skinnyness of the jeans I can now wear. 😀

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Another skinny b*****d here.. 5’11” and 60kg last week (admittedly after the flu, more like 62kg now)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

**** me! I was about to ask some of you for your vital stats… how on earth can someone who’s 5’11” weigh 62kg?!

huws
    Free Member

how on earth can someone who’s 5’11” weigh 62kg?!

Not eating very much or excercising a lot. Not eating is far easier.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m realtively lean, to achieve that weight I’d need to cut a limb off!

I think I should abandon any thought of racing XC, ever.

Jamie
    Free Member

The thing is your natural body shape has a big influence on this. I am, stop laughing at the back, a naturally stocky build and will never be skinny enough to carry off wearing my sisters jeans. Whereas Huw and Joey are obviously skinny emo types with long fringes and drainpipes tucked into their converse 8)

Flaperon

5’11 and 59kg. XC race whippet build but neither the fitness or enthusiasm. Having said that, a lot of climbing recently means I might not weigh much but at least I look a fairly normal.

Apart from, annoyingly, looking about 12. Haven’t figured out a way to fix that other than sarcastic replies when someone asks.

Blower
    Free Member

flaxseed oil

donsimon
    Free Member

181cm and 67kg here and approx 15% body fat.

I was having a read through this lastnight and generally seems to make sense.

hh45
    Free Member

as some people here say and numerous other threads and articles have already said you need to eat less rather than exercise more. You definitely need to cut out your mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. If you aren’t feeling hungry for 60-90 minutes leading up to each proper meal you aren’t trying hard enough. All day grazing is great for carbo loading but not losing weight!!

huws
    Free Member

Whereas Huw and Joey are obviously skinny emo types with long fringes and drainpipes tucked into their converse

No converse here, Supra Vaider high tops in black leather. The rest is suprisingly accurate though.

Back to the original question, thisisnotaspoon can either, eat less and exercise the same, eat the same and exercise an awful lot more or eat much less and do no exercise. Each will have roughly the same result as long as you don’t have a snack after exercise “because you’ve earned it”.

Ryan-
    Free Member

Im another light weighing one. Around 5’11” and weigh about 10 stone. Im quite lean though really. But after studying things in college on my sport course, looking at national averages, I think I’m just above ‘under-weight’.

On the weight loss front. Apparently eating more helps you loose weight, as if you eat less, your body stores it as fat basically and uses fat as an energy source instead of carbohydrates. So when you eat more, your body doesn’t store it as fat, as such, and therefore you burn off your calories. I think that makes sense.. 🙄

joeydeacon
    Free Member

TSY: Have always been pretty skinny.. xc race whippet type proportions though haven’t raced in a fair few years.. I eat a lot, though v healthily, and ride pretty much every day, though only about 10 miles a day (usually flat out tho).. think it’s my natural weight, struggle to lose / gain weight really..

Jamie: kinda got my look, except for my lack of hair!

emsz
    Free Member

I thought blokes weren’t suppose to care about this stuff?

(5’3″ six and a half stone)

molgrips
    Free Member

Fruit and dried fruit is technically sugar, but it’s not bad for you. Medium or low GI, so it’s good carbs.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Turbos are crap

i beg to differ. when combined with spinervals dvds (or similar) they are, imho, an excellent winter resource especially for the lazy and largely unplanned (like me). since getting one last year i have never in my adult life been fitter or thinner. i also like the fact that if i have a very limited time to spare i can still grab a decent bit of exercise easily.

with regards to weight loss hints etc… for me it was a combination of tweaking my diet (not too horrifically bad to begin with) and more importantly measuring portion size. for instance rice, which i eat a lot, went from around 225g for both of us to now around 115g and even that now feels like heaps. pasta similar.

i eat a lot of lentils/beans curries etc (tonight lentil dahl with spinach – cheap and super quick to make), my diet is largely vegetarian but i’m planning to slip some grilled oily fish in once a week or so.

one key thing is that mon-fri i do not eat bread or dairy except a spot of skimmed in my coffee once a day. beyond that no bisciuts, no cake, no choccy bars… nothing processed really.

i try to live 5 good clean days, have a decent but not unhealthy meal on friday, indulge a bit on sat and then start to clean up on sun. alcohol in the evenings after dinner is my achillies heel, i try not to drink in the week but i slip all to easily. just back off it after xmas and its hard hard hard.

weighing is also very good motivation. same time each week. i never ever weighed myself believing that the fit of my trousers was sufficient but on that one i would say i was utterly wrong. mind you after xmas i’m too scared to weigh myself, figure that i’ll knuckle down in jan then check in 1st feb when hopefully i’ll be back to where i was in the autumn.

this months cycling plus is worth picking up, lots of good fitness info in there. matt fitzgerald’s ‘racing weight’ is also very worth buying.

molgrips
    Free Member

Turbos are crap
    i beg to differ. when combined with spinervals dvds (or similar) they are, imho, an excellent winter resource especially for the lazy and largely unplanned (like me). since getting one last year i have never in my adult life been fitter or thinner

Oh yes they can get you fit, but if it was that or nothing I’d rather be unfit ta. Sheer hell.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I must be one confused person, as the thought of going out and riding road bores me to tears, but I can happily blast an hour out on the turbo with a sufferfest on the telly.

I try and get 3 a week in now alternating with the different video’s, and and XC ride at the weekend one day & DH the other if time permits.

In an ideal world I’d love to able to ‘back to back’ two sessions but I’m not fit enough yet, hopefully in the next 5 or 6 weeks I’ll give it a try.

It helps having a goal though, mine is getting fitter for another sport, and also I’m hoping/aiming to do rather well at the Mega and other DH races so its time to stop being a slacker and knuckle down for me. Going well so far, I feel fitter and have more energy & my diet has also improved. Having a Mrs who is doing the same makes life easier too, as there is more motivation not to give in for fear of ridicule!

Regarding the diet side of things, I was always told “a sixpack is earnt in the kitchen, not the gym”. Sort the diet and the rest will follow. Start tracking everything you eat, you might be surprised with the hidden calories in there…

molgrips
    Free Member

I suppose you lot have never had a power meter on. One reason I hate turbo so much is that achieving what would be a very easy power on the road is hard bloody work on the turbo, and threshold intervals are utter agony.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss hints/tips?’ is closed to new replies.