Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Weekend photo challenge 29th/30th January 2011
  • There’s been a few suggestions on the last thread, but I want to go with one of my earlier ideas.

The theme for next weekend will be measuring and marking the land.
    If that’s too cryptic, just stick with trig points.

If you want to try to find something a bit different though, well, there’s milestones and mileposts for a start and the less common boundary stones, all marked on OS maps.
    There’s also various dykes and walls marking the boundaries of ancient kingdoms and empires.
    There’s summit markers on hills and flood depth markers in valleys.
    Anything similar with historical importance or interest will do.

How do people feel about making this a week long challenge from now on, rather than just a weekend ?
    Some people work shifts or have other commitments at weekends, so they might find it easier to get out during the week. There will be a lot more midweek evening rides going on once the weather warms up and the days get longer too.
    Shall we start this one at midnight tonight then, so it’s Monday to Sunday ? Or would Saturday to Friday be better ? Or just stick to weekends, it’s not like I’m too bothered if people post on the wrong day.

ton

i have been doing this for the last 15 years or so
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3889

still got well over half of it to do.
    some might be interested

That BCQ thing looks fun, it’s a bit like a trailquest. 😉
    I thought they’d have had more entrants for a cyclists touring club though. It looks like you only need to visit six to get on the leader board.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

all-week challenge suits me as i often find myself working weekends 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Are there any sites I can search to find local trig points?

Drac

Google?

_tom_
    Free Member

Googling didn’t really help much.

rOcKeTdOg

ooh, plans are afoot 🙂

Drac

Googling didn’t really help much.

Try here then

Militant_biker

Fantastic theme. Got some ideas here!

I didn’t previously know, but it doesn’t surprise me to find out, that there is a “trigpointing community” and a trigpointing website with a search function.
    http://www.trigpointinguk.com/index.php

Edit;
    Just had a bit of a look round that site and there’s 20 trig points within 8.7km of home. This is too easy. 😛

maxray
    Free Member

Such a good idea this! Time to Suss out a plan.. I reckon week long challenges are a good plan.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers MTG, looks like I have a few to try out!

Kunstler

Interesting. I have a few things in ind already…

Could I give a suggestion for the week after? There was a little of this cropping up in this weekends photos. Hows about Public art – good, bad or self-made if you can’t find it. I’d be very keen to see what people have around their parts of the countryside. I imagine a high count of Gormleys.

yunki
    Free Member

I’d prefer a weeklong challenge as I don’t get to ride weekends.. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Public art is a good’un. I have a feeling I’ll only be able to find crappy skatepark graffiti though 😆

OK then, public art next week, but no jumping the gun. We’ve got a week of trig points first and that doesn’t start until midnight tonight.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooh, I love graffiti pics. May pass on the trig point one – no way am I dragging my BMX to the top of Twm Barlwm 😉 😆

dawson

Quick genuine question – I know of some trig points close to me, but they may be on farmers land, but not near a BW – are there any laws about public access to trig points?

I can only guess that it is similar to having a telegraph pole or electricity pylon on private land and there is some sort of contract between the Ordnance Survey and the land owner to allow the OS access to their trig point.
    As there is no need to allow public access to trig points, I can’t see why there would be a law to treat them differently to any other private property on private land.

midlifecrashes

Ooh, I own one! Not a whole Trig point but it’s urban little brother a Bench Mark! Will there be hordes of STWers parading into the front garden upsetting my tenant I wonder?

z1ppy

Fair point Dawson, as per Graham there quite a few around me but a few are no where near a public right of way.
    What’s more worrying is that I been cycling by TP6417 for ages (all around it!) and never knew one was there! (marked as still being there on that TP site)

redthunder
    Free Member

All week is good. From Monday to Sunday.

ton

Trigtastic…………. 😉

a sneaky one trying to hide in a school grounds

but i sussed it out.

and one on a very busy fast lane.

the rhubard triangle is also the trig point triangle…….. 8)

Kunstler

Bah. Beaten to being first. I’m still eding and uploading.

sambob
    Free Member

I suggested that one 😡 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ve got an OS benchmark on my house 🙂

Taken before dawn this morning, flood depth marker alongside the Severn in Bewdley.

Picture 032 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Kunstler

Site keeps falling down tonight so it’s taking me ages to post.

Anyway, on a similar theme to MTG:

The plaque marking the 1953 and 1978 floods at Wells-next-the-Sea.

The plaque has been put up in a very silly place. The wall it’s on is part of a sea defence constructed after the last major flood of 1978 but it’s on the opposite side to the quayside and the view. It should have been on the Tide Recorder Station(flood level is about at the beam above the bike):

This is going to be my take on the theme this week. Hopefully different places on the coast at the same time each day marking:

Bike at tide level at the time (here it was fully out – low tide)

And at mark of previous high tide.

Kunstler

Didn’t go as intended yesterday.

High tide mark down there:

Low tide mark about 3/4 mike back there:

Trekster

Pig at a Trig on Lotus Hill near Mabie

Ae and Dalswinton wind farm in the distance

Had planned to do 2 more but not enough time 🙄

doubledunter
    Free Member

doubledunter
    Free Member

Dunrod Hill Greenock

Hicksy
    Free Member

Kunstler – glad to see your bike managed to stay dry this week!

Kunstler

I’ve been lucky. You’d think I’d learn and not be stupid enough to keep photographing it right next to the sea.

Had a spin out yesterday – 6 miles out and everything to my left was reclaimed from the sea for the length of the ride. Stopped at some big dunes which the MOD had marked by blowing bloody great craters in the them (years ago, they weren’t still smouldering). Camera couldn’t cope with the low light (got there too late) and wind was cutting so I didn’t hang about. Maybe another pic tomorrow. It was looks nicer when the tide is in.

redthunder
    Free Member

What boundary ?

😉

redthunder
    Free Member

Neolithic Boundary

redthunder
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member

Needs to be seen bigger for wording…
    http://www.zooomr.com/z/photos/zoom/9757598/size-32/

z1ppy

As per Graham, I’m surrounded by Trig Points, of these I was only aware of two. Managed what would be something like a 45mile loop to get them all (I actually went home after Wimbury and finished it earlier today). Lots more tarmac work than I’m used to but a bit of fun that got me out for a couple more rides than normal.

Gothersley TP3420

Chase Pool Lodge TP2129

Barrow Hill TP1060

The Ridge TP6417

Bunker Hill TP1767

Lea Castle Estate TP4380Bunker Hill TP1767

Wimbury TP6957

Lea Castle Gardens TP4381

Wolverley Road Nursery TP7023

High Habberley Farm TP3786

Park Attwood TP5298

Kinver Edge TP4244

Bracket plate photo’s (proof) here if your that interested
    Kinver Edge TP4244

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Weekend photo challenge 29th/30th January 2011’ is closed to new replies.