Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Website design prob.
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ve created a little website using Microsoft Publisher and used one particular font for its titles and menu. I’ve published the website locally to my hard drive so that I can copy the website to a friends laptop for him to evaluate said website. It all loads up ok on his machine but the font I used changes to a different one, but only in places though (just the titles). The font I used originally appears ok elsewhere. So what would cause this?

allthegear
    Free Member

Fonts on websites are possible but not simple – in fact, even when you get it working, that doesn’t actually mean all is good as then you need a licence to actually use it on a website – you probably don’t already have that…

Stick with the standard fonts

Rachel

squiff
    Free Member

The font I used originally appears ok elsewhere. So what would cause this?

1. He might not have your font so his computer so it will default it

2. in design you can out line the font so it wont change when opened up on another computer.

plop_pants
    Free Member

The font is standard within Microsoft Publisher as far as I can tell.

When I copied the website to my friend’s laptop the font in question would display correctly in the website menu, just not in the titles.

AlexSimon

Interesting that it appears ok in some areas but not others on that same person’s computer.
    Unless some are graphics and some are text.

In general I would stick to some generic fonts, but that still doesn’t fully explain the above.

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

plop_pants
    Free Member

It’s all text Alex.
    If I look at the page source, the html for the titles are prefixed with the html for the reqiured font so it looks like it should all work!

duckers
    Free Member

Does his laptop have publisher installed and what is the font name?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Hmm, understanding it a bit more now. A std font it is then.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Duckers, he doesn’t have publisher on his machine but I copied the ‘published’ version of the website so should be independent of what created it (I think).
    The font is ‘Ravie’

AlexSimon

Yep, you’ve got no chance with an obscure font like ‘Ravie’.

I would choose one of the fonts from the link I gave before (normally you’d choose a series of fonts so that if one isn’t on the viewer’s system, it would choose the next but not sure if publisher will allow this).

If that really doesn’t work for you, then you’ve got the options of either creating those elements as graphics, or using something like Google fonts, or something similar.
    (again this is more for hand coders rather than Publisher).

_tom_
    Free Member

I would consider using this as an opportunity to try a different font, ravie looks really cheap and unprofessional.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Website design prob.’ is closed to new replies.