Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Weather proofing your bike tips?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

I planning to write an article on routing servicing bikes (general things to consider) and also winter proofing you bike. I have got my article in draft but wondered if anyone had any tips I could add:

Things like: Sealing the seat tube, sealed/full outers, greasing? Just in case I have left anything obvious out?

Many thanks

FXR

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Alfine 8)

wwaswas

Alfine? Nah, singlespeed 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

singlespeed, clean and oil the chain
    oh and maybe wave a hose at it every once and a while

[edit] beaten to it 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I leave mine in the garage and use a car.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mibbe wash it once a year and lube the chain every now and then..

IdleJon

winter proofing you bike. I have got my article in draft but wondered if anyone had any tips I could add:

Things like: Sealing the seat tube, sealed/full outers, greasing? Just in case I have left anything obvious out?

I’m trying not to be sarcastic, but why would any of that be WINTER proofing?

At the moment outside it is hammering down with rain. I might ride later but my bike isn’t winter proofed. What should I do?

Seriously, in the winter the mud and rain are just a bit colder – why would that bother my bike?

EDIT: YOu are going to be stuffed on TransWales if you think August is summertime in Wales! 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

move to somewhere with a real summer?

Macavity
    Free Member

Scottoiler

fbk
    Free Member

You didn’t expect serious answers on here did you? 🙄

foxyrider
    Free Member

WOW – what a response. Many thanks. Never mind…..

BTW – why does everyone think that the way they have their bike set-up is the same as everyone else?

This is the one reason I rarely post up a thread on this forum these days!

jackthedog
    Free Member

I stretch sections of inner tube over the headset and the seat clamp to keep the weather out of the frame.

hilldodger
    Free Member

My bike has suffered more crud’n’crap so far this summer than all of last winter 😕

I don’t really see what winterising is other than keeping the crud catchers on as the default setting and changing from ‘wet’ to ‘even wetter’ chain lube.

grum
    Free Member

I planning to write an article on routing servicing bikes

Not sure about winter proofing but I’d make sure you get someone to proof read your article. 😛

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Jack 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A lot of stuff is opinion not fact.

My top 2 tips – buy a cable oiler and use putoline chain wax on the chain.

TheBrick
    Free Member

middleburn oilers if you have gears.

if you are anticipating riding through an increased number of streams thicker grease on any cup and cone bearings.

Make sure any aluminium seat posts in steel frames have a good dollop of anti-seize on them (galvanic corrosion).

if your cartridge bearing need replacing consider SKF

foxyrider
    Free Member

Many thanks Brick – good points

alexpalacefan

Electrical tape (it’s got a bit of stretch) over seatpost slot, below clamp.
    Midleburn cable oilers.
    mud guards.

APF

matttromans
    Free Member

Hi Foxy,

I wouldn’t do a great deal tbh, i’d consider the following at anytime of year, so I guess this is stuff I’d do over and above usual:

Use a wet weather lube on chain
    If my bike suffered from crap cable routing I’d think about continuous outers, but its done fine so far…
    If its really wet and slippery I generally drop my saddle by a fraction for better control.
    Give the bike a good clean regularly and wipe down with WD40 – it stops mud sticking so easily (and smells good).
    Check drainage holes are free/not blocked.
    Tyre pressures…maybe.

TBH though, its a mountain bike, I figure it’ll cope with most things better than I will.

HTH

avdave2

why does everyone think that the way they have their bike set-up is the same as everyone else

They don’t, they think they have them set up better than everyone else.

To prove the point I laugh at your singlespeeds and alfines and use the Rohloff when it’s a bit grim out. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Check drainage holes are free/not blocked.
    Tyre pressures…maybe.

TBH though, its a mountain bike, I figure it’ll cope with most things better than I will.

Cheers Matt – of course, just wanted to see if I had not come across or forgotten any useful tips to minimise wear and tear esp on long rides etc

hilldodger
    Free Member

To prove the point I laugh at your singlespeeds and alfines and use the Rohloff when it’s a bit grim out.

Ha, I laugh at your gearless throwback bikes and 2kg rear wheels as I can keep proper bicycle gears running smoothly in winter conditions 😛

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Turbo trainer and tv = weather proof but not the same serotonin kick…

I spray my frame in GT 85, let dry so when it gets really muddy I find it is easier to wash.

Rest of the bike? service once a month on my day off. A light weight tough alfine would be awesome but so would a one way ticket to Australia.

simon1975

Cleaning and drying the bike after a wet ride works for me. With new (to me) frames I always drill a nice big hole for drainage under the BB.

MartynS

weather/winterproofing here just consists of cleaning/drying the bike off after a ride and giving bits like cables/Mechs a squirt of gt85 or similar

Just keeping an eye on things as well.. when I’m cleaning it I have a quick look at the brake pads to see how much is left, and you know if you’re getting drivetrain problems ’cause it’ll already have happened on the ride!

avdave2

I can keep proper bicycle gears running smoothly in winter conditions

I split my sides at the thought of you cleaning your gears while I sit inside with a lovely cup of Earl Grey. 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Weather proofing your bike tips?’ is closed to new replies.