Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • We need a points scoring system to rate crashes.
  • Harry_the_Spider

After all this talk of breaking this and that we need to add a rating to the severity of injury in order to show up those who are guilty of diving like a footballer or understating themselves if a Ranulph-Fiennes-cutting-his-own-fingers-off sort of way.

A) Was it spectacular?<0 – 5 pts>
    No, it was a bit rubbish would get you 0 points and yes it was awesome and a really fit Danish girl/boy saw it happen would bag you 5

B) Bone breakage/dislocations
    1 point for every bit snapped off of pulled out. Teeth get a point each.

C) Time off work
    1 point for every day spent watching daytime TV

D) Length of biggest scar
    1 point per inch

E) Post accident surgery required.
    1 point for every time they had to open you up to put it right.

F) Collateral damage
    1 point for every £50 spend fixing your bike and replacing clothing.

I’ll start…

A) Nobody saw it and I got dog poo on me = 0
    B) Collar bone and dislocated shoulder = 2
    C) 20 days = 20
    D) 7” = 7
    E) Yes = 1
    F) £200 = 4

Total = 34

warton
    Free Member

A) i was at back of pack, and I have no memory of the accident = 0
    B) Just very major concussion, 1 day in hospital, surely worth a point? = 1
    C) 7 = 7
    D) tiny one on knee = 1
    E) No = 0
    F) 550 = New Helmet, Rear Mech, Bar Tape, Shifter, Pedals = 11

Rubber_Buccaneer

A) Slid on face a fair distance and was showing off in front of a small group. I think easily 2 points
    b) 1 Bone, no score for the missing skin which hurt way more. 1 point
    C) 10 days (stupidly went back before advised) 10 points
    D) 5 inches, 5 points
    E) 1 op to repair and 1 to remove metal, 2 points
    F) Not sure, helmet and gloves were not reusable but other damage not terminal. 2 points

Only 22 points. Pretty poor. Will not be trying harder next time!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I think there shoudl be a ‘difficulty rating’ for bone breakage.

Any fool can break a collar bone.

I’m a huge fool and broke my hip which has got to be worth more?

anyway;

a) 3
    b) 1
    c) 60
    d) 7
    e) 2
    f) 4

total = 77

jonathan
    Free Member

A) It was off a jump and a bike journo saw it… but it was quite a small jump, 3 points
    B) No breaks, nil points
    C) A lot, 35 points (sheeeeet)
    D) It’s big, 8 points
    E) Only under once, 1 point
    F) Just my shoes, bizarrely, and I blagged some replacements 😉 0 points

47 points

Rubber_Buccaneer

A) No memory of accident but the policeman I approached because I couldn’t remember who I was told me a few days later that the RNLI crew had stuck a neck brace on me then assisted an ambulance crew with a ‘rapid takedown’ onto a spinal board before I was carted off to hospital. This was the middle of Poole Quay on a bike night. I’m going to give myself 4 points
    b) Nothing broken, just a few missing hours and some pain. 0 points
    C) 5 days, 5 points
    D) No breakages, 0 points
    E) Observation only, 0 points
    F) Another helmet. 1 point

Only 10 points but I like the story.

jimw
    Free Member

A) 1- one person saw me come off and it wasn’t spectacular but I put my hand out…. so…
    B) 1- collar bone broken near the end
    C) 75 – now this is where I might have points contested. This happened nearly three years ago. I had 3 weeks off work, so that is 15 working days. 6 months ago I found that the bone had never actually united and so I was advised to have surgery to have a plate put in which happened in December. This took much longer than expected to heal (5 weeks in sling, 4 weeks with no lifting/pushing/pulling etc. the rest rehabilitation), so I have had an additional 12 weeks off work(!) so 12 x 5 = 60
    D) 5
    E) 1
    F) 1 – helmet, the bike was fine

Total:84

Rubber_Buccaneer

A) Nobody saw it and I got dog poo on me = 0

Dog poo alone = unpleasant
    Dog poo with audience = hilariously funny and would have been worth points.

It’s a sick society we live in but that’s the way it is.

muddyground
    Free Member

A) An eighty year old man watched me crash and suggested that I leave it for the young uns – 1 point. I do feel that this should rate more highly though.
    B) Pulled my elbow joint apart – 1 point. Bit of gravel rash all over and bruises – 0 points. However the scabs are fun so make up for the points loss.
    C) 2 points as it has been multi-bank holidays and I only work part-time ;¬( Should have been 10, huh.
    D) I have other, older scars that are quite big and a couple of hangnails; do these count? 0 points.
    E) Nope.
    F) ‘Need’ a new full-suspension bike; 40 points. Otherwise a ripped t-shirts and busted lid; 3 points.

My total is either 44 or a measly 7. However the old man telling me off made my day as I’m almost 50!

Harry_the_Spider

I sparked myself out in the incident. Later in hospital, whilst still very confused, I got the whiff of shit and went off to check whether I had crapped myself. Peeling off lycra with a broken collar bone and a shoulder out if it’s socket is something that I don’t want to have to do again. Anyway… I found some dog poo on the side of my leg, so I hadn’t had a dishonourable discharge.

When I got back to the treatment area I got told off as they had been looking for me. 😳

IA

Surely you also get a point for every “like” on youtube, if you caught it on camera?

Also, are x-rays worth points? Had 14, a CT scan and ultrasound of all my internal organs for one crash, but never actually opened up (very luckily).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

a) it was spectacular, 3, a bunch of walkerists saw it but I was too out of it to accertain their nationality or fitness

b) broken radius, I’m claiming 4 though as…..
    1 break
    1 dislocation (wrist end)
    1 for the bone fragments moving appart
    1 for confounding the docs as anythign that breaks the radius that badly should have broke the ulnar fairly easily too.

c) 3 hospital visits followed by 4 checkups = 7

d) 8″

e) 1 (can I have bonus points for the ‘complications’ as a result of the size/strength of my forearm muscles?)

f) jersey cut off £50, helemt £100, taxis/trains £400, wasted holliday £600 (pro rated based on breaking on day 3 out of 6). Bike only suffered superficial scaring. = 23

Total = 46

Farticus

Mate of mine, not me this one.

A: More hilarious than spectacular. Over a very small drop, lost control and shot down the hill with legs flapping. Eventually jack-knifed, shot over bars and threw himself shoulder & head first into the ground. Audience of me, andrewmoke & Jedi so I think that’s worth 6 for niche name-dropping.
    B: Double break of shoulder blade, dislocated shoulder, broken arm. Multiple facial / thigh & hip grazes. 4
    C: 130!!
    D: 14
    E: Not happy with this scoring system … only opened him up once so 1, but that was to insert a plate, two rods and 14 screws in his shoulder. Think there should be a point per bit of metal inserted into body.
    F: Bike unharmed although I did nearly stuff someone’s car up the arse of his BMW X5 when taking it home for him (using the left foot to change gear in an auto isn’t wise). 1 point for a new helmet only.

So, official score 156, but I think 172 better reflects the effort and suffering involved.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

A: 5. There were a lot of air miles involved without being on a bike.
    B: 0. Concussion and I pulled something in my neck.
    C: 0
    D: 0
    E: 0
    F: £150, so 3 points. I needed a new full face lid.

8 points but it was a very spectacular crash.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Audience of me, andrewmoke & Jedi

So there are two types of people who receive training from Jedi, those who say it’s the best thing ever and those who get to taste hospital food………

bigjim

br
    Free Member

A) Chasing son no. 3 down Aston Hill DH3, followed by my mate = 4
    B) Broke both bones in wrist (‘J’ rod inserted) plus could see knee through hole in leg – 2.5hrs operation and 3 days in hospital = 3
    C) 20 days = 20
    D) 2 * 4″ = 8
    E) Yes, once = 1
    F) Helmet, Phantom £200 = 4

Total = 40

GW
    Free Member

Eh? Is this just for noobs?
    I must’ve quite litetally had thousands of crashes over the years. Lots of broken and dislocated bones, surgery, more scars than I can counnt and broken every part of a bike at some point, trashed thousands of pounds worth of clothing along the way, astonishingly I’ve only been off work once due to a biking accident but it was for 8mths and even then I worked a full shift before dtiving myself to hospital.

wwaswas

even then I worked a full shift before dtiving myself to hospital

bless

_tom_
    Free Member

A – 3 as a family saw it happen and the mum was a bit of a milf
    B – 1/2 a point as i don’t know if it was full dislocation but something definitely popped out then in again, twice.
    C – 1 day off
    D- no scar
    E – no surgery needed, but still can’t use the arm almost 2 years later without some pain, especially if its cold or I’ve neglected the physio stretches
    F – about £50 so 1 point

So 5.5, poor effort! Do i get any bonus points for driving home 210 miles one handed in fear of the arm popping out again if i tried to use it?

Rubber_Buccaneer

GW – Member

more scars than I can counnt

Three?

votchy
    Free Member

A) 3 – very spectacular but no witnesses

B) 5 – definitely broken ribs, may have been more

C) 10 – this excludes the weekends

D) 0 – no scars

E) 0 – no post accident ops

F) 1 – damaged top

Paltry 19 points for 5 broken ribs

Farticus

So there are two types of people who receive training from Jedi, those who say it’s the best thing ever and those who get to taste hospital food………

2/3 of us had a brilliant day. We got air, a good laugh and to drive someone else’s flash motor at speed. To be fair, the injured party out-faced himself* despite being told that he should go at his own speed.

1/3 of us had a brilliant 1/2 day. Lesson I guess is to go in a group with similar skill levels.

I’d go again anytime, but might take a bit more care next time to not throw myself into those nettles, which were vicious.

*I don’t think he was influenced by me & andrewmoke pointing and laughing in any way whatsoever.

_tom_
    Free Member

Fwiw i haven’t had a proper crash since my jedi day, and have since gone back and done the jumps i crashed on and was scared of for no reason 🙂

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

A) Foot slipped off pedal on tabletop on NRG trail, then took the full weight of me on a small rock jutting out of the hillside, witness by 3 mates – 3 points

B) broke 4th metatarsal – 1 point

c) 3 days off work – 3 points + extra point as had another day off in A&E 6 weeks later for check up

d) do i get a point for mental scars? – was called a freak by some chavs in a corsa while hobbiling down the road with the NHS special shoe and foot cast

e) no ops

f) no replacments needed

8 points

mjsmke

A) Jumped a log on single track while overtaking some mates who had slowed right down…landed and realised there was a 2nd log too close to jump over! Over the bars and hit the floor face first next to 2 mates. – 4 points

B) Black eye, broken little finger and fractured metacarpal – 1 point

C) No time off work – 0 points

D) No scars but it looked like i had been in a fight so i said my girlfriend hit me – 0 points.

E) Didn’t bother with hospital… just used tape. – points

F) Bike had a soft landing on me so it was fine. – 0 points

5 ponts

Legoman
    Free Member

My bestest crash was actually on a road, but I was riding an MTB so it counts right?
    A: Head-on into a cab a high speed resulting in hysterical cabbie (thought he’d killed me), major city thoroughfare brought to standstill (passing doctor wouldn’t let me get up out of the road), hugely disproportionate emergency service response (3 traffic cars & ambulance), all closely followed by my wife & 2 small children very distressed at sight of apparently serious RTA involving Daddy. Reckon that’s good for a 4.
    B: 0
    C: 0
    D: 3
    E: 0
    F: front wheel/helmet/backpack = 4, new windscreen & front wing for VW Touran, plus 1 day lost earnings for cab driver = 16

26 points…. Hmm didn’t feel like a 26 pointer…

scaredypants

A) I think it probably was, about 30mph on the road when my front brake locked the wheel solid. Assuming only a half somersault initially – face got a glancing blow and upper back took the brunt – followed, presumably by a roll or two with feet still strapped in (toe clips & ridged cleats).
    Philosophically challenging to rate though as nobody saw it (apart from a summer-exchange group of danish nymphomaniacs who I believe called the ambulance and then scarpered)
    I’m after 2 here

B) Bone breakage/dislocations
    None.
    Nul

C) Time off work
    36hrs in hospital. No time off work; I started my 1st ever job the day afetr leaving hospital – looked like the elephant man for a couple of weeks and the dressings on my back helped me to smell like elephant poo too
    If I’d know then what I know now, would’ve been 3 weeks, so 15 ??

D) Length of biggest scar
    Longest, about 1 inch
    Biggest diameter of missing skin patch, 8 or so (but opsite/granuflex was great, so no scars from that)

E) Post accident surgery required.
    None
    nul

F) Collateral damage
    Getting the bike rewelded and rebuilt by the guys who handmade the frame in the 1st place – priceless (and free, I think !)
    was a slightly niche roadbike that should’ve cost a lot to rebuild, even 25 years ago – at least 10 ??

actual score 3
    claiming a moral 28 (or 128 if only the danish beach volleyall nympho minibus could be verified as FACT – but all I can offer is the ambulanceman said I was muttering something obscene about lager and butter 🙁 )

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘We need a points scoring system to rate crashes.’ is closed to new replies.