• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wayfayrer camping food
  • senorj

Off camping this weekend – with bike.woop.
    Are the wayfayrer camping meals any good?
    Or are they wrong?

highclimber
    Free Member

they are expensive and heavy but reasonably tasty.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It can be cheaper to buy army surplus ration packs as they also have wayfarer type meals in them (I think the UK ones might even be made by Wayfarer).

They’re not particularily light but are minimum hassle to heat up and taste pretty good.

Check out the “Look What We Found” meals as well.

MSP

baco cook in bags allow you too prepare any pasta/rice/coucous type dehydrated meals without mess, lighter and cheaper than the wayfarer meals.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Wayfarer only taste good if you’re particularly hungry. You wouldn’t thank someone for one at home.
    Also suprisingly little in the way of energy in them – they recently started selling higher protein and carb options.

A bit of effort with some real food will be better for you and far tastier.

highclimber
    Free Member

are you wild camping or car camping? if car camping then I wouldn’t bother with wayfarer and just take proper tinned food. in both instances I like taking pasta and sauces and cooking them as they take hardly any time to make and they taste much better than any boil in the bag food you can buy.

senorj

I’m car camping –
    I’ll probably just take Lloyd Grossman with me and do it semi-properly.
    I was just being lazy curious.

Thanks.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’ve had the blogolnaise and the lamb hot pot ‘Look What We Found’ and was a bit dissapointed in them.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I can confirm that the wayfarer foods are indeed the same ones you get in the older style Ration Packs.

highclimber
    Free Member

if you are car camping, why scrimp on taste! def. al fresco cooking is the way forward when car camping. I feel like keith floyd most times with all the stuff I take (including the wine)!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Agree with highclimber if you car camping take some decent fresh food.

MSP

The “look what we found” meals are very small portions, after spending a day biking building up you appetite.
    Anyway, for car camping every meal should be a full english breakfast.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wayfayrer camping food’ is closed to new replies.