Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Way marked trails in Exeter?
  • mattk
    Free Member

I'm on holiday for a week in Exeter with the In-laws over easter, so i will be escaping as much as possible, just me and the bike.

On the way down the M5 i will be stopping off to do a couple of loops of The Ridge Ride trail at Haldon Forest

But other than that what other way marked trails are there?

Cheers
    Matt

tomhughes46

Not a lot, AFAIK. There are some on-road cycle paths dotted around the city; have a look at the Devon County Council site. I did think about trying to make a training loop out of them but I'm too lazy.

If you are not averse to reading a map then there are a few bridleways scattered around the Stoke Hill area, there is also Woodbury common (about 10 miles from city), but you could get a train to Topsham?

Dibbs
    Free Member

30 minutes back up the motorway to the Quantocks 😉

Del

maybe at the speeds you drive Dibbs?
    an hour at nearly legal speeds from exeter to the top 😉

mat,
    what sort of riding you into? the ridge trail is ok for a blast, and is more fun the faster you ride, but you'll want a local to show you some more 'interesting' stuff, if that's your thing…

exeterben
    Free Member

lived in exeter for since childhood….

25mins drive gets you to north bovey and the alpine style singletrack heaven that is lustleigh cleave and the nutcrackers.

haldon is pretty tame and not very "flowy", but worth a loop if you dont have all day (plus the in-laws can walk the dog and recharge in the cafe in the 45mins it takes you whip round).

woodbury is a maze without local knowledge, with lots of double tracks, but there is some great techy singletrack if you can locate it.

mattk
    Free Member

Well my map reading skills are very poor so i tend to stick to trail centres where i can just turn up and ride, or ride with locals in-the-know.

although saying that i have just been checking out the Exeter Mountain Bike club website and quite like the look of the Dartmoor loop.

I'm not really into epic slog fests (long grassy climbs are the devil), i'm happier on more technical stuff – does this sound like Dartmoor?

exeterben
    Free Member

the nutcracker descent in lustleigh cleave is as tech a trail as I have come across outside trail centres, or Moab. track down some of the mbr routes in the area, there are a few, and stick mainly to the lustleigh cleave parts (basing yourself in north bovey, near a decent pub). You will need to use a map though, it is dartmoor…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Way marked trails in Exeter?’ is closed to new replies.