Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Waterstone's abandon their apostrophe.
  • RustySpanner

Jesus wept.

Do they really belive that the ‘proud to be stupid’ demographic buy fewer books because they’re scared of punctuation?

Even McDonald’s haven’t dumbed down to this extent.

Seriously, those responsible will be first against the wall when I lead the forthcoming Pedant’s Revolt to glorious, nitpicking victory.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Representing a return to an old brand as well as the loss of an apostrophe, the design press is alive with this news today.

As a designer myself, I can say that I couldn’t give a shit either way.

headfirst
    Free Member

Pedant’s Revolt

I think you mean Pedants’ Revolt, comrade!

IHN

James Daunt, the managing director, who took over the chain last year following a change of ownership said: “Waterstones without an apostrophe is, in a digital world of URLs and email addresses, a more versatile and practical spelling.”

Oh, okay then

John Richards, the chairman of the Apostrophe Protection Society said: “It’s just plain wrong. It’s grammatically incorrect. If Sainsbury’s and McDonald’s can get it right, then why can’t Waterstones. You would really hope that a bookshop is the last place to be so slapdash with English.”

I can’t help but agree.

nbt

the forthcoming Pedant’s Revolt

Just you then? Or did you mean Pedants’ Revolt?

😉

edit: d’oh, beaten by headfirst

hels
    Free Member

I think we should just quietly let it die. It doesn’t really add anything, apart from as you say, adding another line to the Charter of Pedantry.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Have a look at the URL for this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/waterstones-abandon-their-apostrophe

The internet doesn’t care about punctuation so not sure of the value of us caring too much either. You can fight it, but I wish you good luck. Start typing Waterstone’s into Google and you’ll notice Waterstones comes up as a suggestion, not Waterstone’s. Frankly I don’t blame the board of Waterstones for making this decision.

[EDIT – James Daunt beat me to it]

vinnyeh

The chairman of the Apostrophe Society has called Waterstones’ dropping of its apostrophe “just plain wrong” …

😆

doh, just seen IHN is also aware of The Society.

vinnyeh

I think we should just quietly let it die. It doesn’t really add anything, ..

Waterstones?

jon1973
    Free Member

I can’t help but agree.

I do too, but;

chairman of the Apostrophe Protection Society

😆

My neighbour has an baby apostrophe that he keeps locked up in a small cage in the garage, should I report him to the APS?

globalti
    Free Member

I can’t understand the problem – surely a shop owned by Waterstone could be the possessive “Waterstone’s shop” or just the plural “we’re going to the Waterstones” as in “we’re going for tea with the Smiths”?

headfirst
    Free Member

“we’re going for tea with the Smiths”?

oooh, can I come please? Are daffodils optional?

RustySpanner

They’ve always had the apostraphe, as far as I’m aware.

As soon as I seize power this sort of thing will be outlawed immediately.
    I look forward to beating those responsible for naming ‘Kwik Fit’ to death with a very large, very heavy dictionary. 😀

Nbt & headfirst, congratulations!
    You’ve passed the test. Join me, together we will annoy the world!

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with being plural though is it? It’s possessive. So it should have an apostrophe.

donsimon
    Free Member

“we’re going to the Waterstones” as in “we’re going for tea with the Smiths”?

Tricky little buggers those prepositions, aren’t they?

Trimix
    Free Member

What is an apostrophe again ?

BoardinBob

I think we should just quietly let it die. It doesn’t really add anything, apart from as you say, adding another line to the Charter of Pedantry.

It’s not a case of letting it die. It’s basic punctuation. It has no reason to die out.

Personally I’d execute anyone that can’t grasp basic punctuation.

jon1973
    Free Member

What is an apostrophe again ?

It’s an upside down comma.

pixelmix
    Free Member

It’s all irrelevant since Waterstones will cease to exist in 10 years anyway, having been beaten into submission by Amazon.

I think we should just quietly let it die.

The apostrophe? Still needed IMHO – the meaning of sentences can be completely changed by a missing or misplaced apostrophes, which can be important for contracts etc. Just because people struggle with correct usage doesn’t mean we should give up!

donsimon
    Free Member

As a designer myself, I can say that I couldn’t give a shit either way.

This I do find worrying.

vinnyeh

Personally I’d execute anyone that can’t grasp basic punctuation.

See, I’d have written “Personally, I’d execute …” – I’m guessing I’d have my back against the wall?
    Who’s correct, or is it ambiguous?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s not a case of letting it die. It’s basic punctuation. It has no reason to die out.

…but as the MD – and me – pointed out, that wasn’t the point. I think he has a very valid argument. Let’s just say they have changed their name rather than dropping a necessary apostrophe.

footflaps

Can’t see them staying in business long anyhow, so it will soon all be academic…

BoardinBob

See, I’d have written “Personally, I’d execute …” – I’m guessing I’d have my back against the wall?
    Who’s correct, or is it ambiguous?

Could be. I originally had a comma after “Personally”, but I was seething with rage so thought it better to blurt the whole sentence out without a pause.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I do too, but;

I reckon that should be:

I do too; but:

ransos
    Free Member

The apostrophe? Still needed IMHO – the meaning of sentences can be completely changed by a missing or misplaced apostrophes,

Whilst that’s true, it’s not the case with Waterstone’s Waterstones, is it?

Businesses change their names all the time.

hels
    Free Member

There are many forms of English usage that have died out, thee and thou, for example.

Nobody knows how to use the possessive apostrophe (well, apart from us obviously EDIT some, of us), and the meaning is usually clear from context. We don’t all make a hand signal to denote it when we speak do we ?

Legal documents, yes I can see your point there, but surely ambiguity in contracts is the bread and butter of legal fees ?

donsimon
    Free Member

We don’t all make a hand signal to denote it when we speak, do we?

Fixed. 😉

pixelmix
    Free Member

Whilst that’s true, it’s not the case with Waterstone’s Waterstones, is it?

Businesses change their names all the time.

Agreed. I have no preference on the Waterstones thing – do what they like if they think it creates and stronger and simpler brand identity.

Legal documents, yes I can see your point there, but surely ambiguity in contracts is the bread and butter of legal fees ?

Ha ha, so cycnical for one so young Hels. As a drafter of property related legal documents, I consantly live in hope that none of my drafting will ever be tested in a court action!

Edit:- I wonder if this whole Edinburgh trams fiasco was caused by a misplaced apostrophe in the contract. 😕

jon1973
    Free Member

I do too, but;

I reckon that should be:

I do too; but:

But the sentence following that began with a lower case letter, so it’s should surely be ‘;’ rather than ‘:’ at the end. I think it sould be a comma before the “but” as well.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s never used to have an apostrophe though did it? And I am not sure Morrisons ever have.

Round ‘ere here, if you wish to tell someone you are going to do your Food Shop at Asda, you say: “I’s goin’ Asda’s.” -I am sure the apostrophes are still out there, just being used by different people in different retail sectors. 😉

hels
    Free Member

I’m making a hand signal right now…

mrmo
    Free Member

The apostrophe is a new fangled foreign invention that has no place in English. It comes from France of all places!!!

We should be returning English to its proper ways and getting rid of such things.

We should be campaigning for the reintroduction of the long s and not for keeping foreign inventions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We don’t all make a hand signal to denote it when we speak, do we?

Is it just me that would pronounce it: Waterstones – Waterstone(s), Waterstone’s – Waterstone(z)?

scuzz
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s never used to have an apostrophe though did it? And I am not sure Morrisons ever have.

Used to have J Sainsbury written on it, people called it Sainsbury’s. Well, Saynsbrees or Saynbo’s mostly round my way.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is nowhere near as annoying as people who say, “Wayrose” or “Wayroses” when they mean “Waitrose”, or “wha evvvuh” when they mean “whatever”. That t there, it’s there for a reason.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

hels
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – yes, probably just you.

I would say all those words exactly the same, but then I am a Kiwi and have to get by on only two vowel sounds.

Wartistinns Wartistinns Wartistinns & Wartistinns

donsimon
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hels, it might help if you tried writing these words down. Do you have a pin handy? 😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

But the sentence following that began with a lower case letter, so it’s should surely be ‘;’ rather than ‘:’ at the end. I think it sould be a comma before the “but” as well.

You’ve used a semicolon to introduce something (the other user’s quote). It’s arguable whether there should be a comma or a semicolon between ‘too’ and ‘but’; but there should definitely be a colon after ‘but’ to present the quote in the manner you have. Check this link for an educated explanation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Waterstone's abandon their apostrophe.’ is closed to new replies.