Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Waterproof shorts recommendations Please
  • lowey

After fitting a mud guard to my new bike last night I found out that the rear wheel rubs when the susp compresses, plus i hate them anyway. So can anyone recommend a decent waterproof short to wear over thermal longs or other shorts ?

Cheers all.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

3/4 Altura Attack, cracking!!

scottalej
    Free Member

Endura Superlite get rave reviews. £48 from ebay seller Sprockets. Or buy ex army Goretex trousers from ebay for £10 or so and cut them down to length.

MrGreedy

I like the Endura MT500 “Spray” baggies – it’s only the rear panels that are fully waterproof so they’re a lot more breathable than the Attacks (which I also have), and they look more like a normal short. Depends how wet it’s likely to be really – I’ll use the Alturas if it’s going to be throwing it down, but the MT500s get more use in general.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tried Endura Venturi (both versions), Altura Attach and Madison’s waterproof shorts but all have failed.

Tempted to go for cheap ebay goretex when/if my warranty replacements give up the ghost, but I never found any cheap ones when I was looking.

tablesalt
    Free Member

i had some and the water just went up the legs..

ruscle
    Free Member

+1 for the altura 3/4 attacks. Got 3 pairs for £99 last year from Merlin.

D0NK

I use altura not got owt to comapre them against but I’d be wary of the 3/4, I got some and soon realised they’d be a bit warm and bunch/rub back of my knees so exchanged them, might be OK with tights. Besides you’re only really keeping your ass dry.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Endura Superlite, and get a decent mudguard.

thepurist

I *think* the MT500s just use a layer of PU in the rear too rather than trying to use a fancy DWR coated breathable fabric which will eventually need re-proofing. (Stands by to be corrected on that). That means they’re less faffy to look after – I’d prefer the Superlites if it was properly raining or cold but for general spring/autumn (and summer, who am i kidding) riding on wet ground the MT500s are the biz.

neninja
    Free Member

Well my experience of MT500’s is that they are utter poop.

The stitching came apart at the crotch and the waterproof fabric de-laminated on the first pair and the replacements use a non-waterproof material at the top of the rear panel, the waterproof tape is coming off the seams and the waterproof fabric in the seat is splitting.

headfirst
    Free Member

I got some altura attacks from wiggle, tried them on and sent them back. Didn’t like the lack of stretch in them and the rustling.

MoreCashThanDash

Picked up some Altura Dryline in an LBS sale – do the job, but a bit rustly – which I don’t mind – and a bit sweaty, which I do mind.

Much better riding fit than my cut down army goretex – which are fine for the money (£12 and some flowers for my mum who shortened them properly for me!)

If you go the ebay/army route, take in the hem of the legs when you shorten them, or they get very flappy.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Endura superlites are great but mine tore at the crotch. Rode around with bibs underneath so nothing fell out through the hole. Still I got a couple of years out of them and the benefits were they dried quickly and kept my bibs dry which is all you need. They extend just over the knee to keep the cold wind off but because of this they can get hot in the summer. I’m trying a different set of shorts for mtb’ing now so will see how they fare through the winter

Drac

Got some Endura which are excellent and somewhere I have Altura but can’t find them so have no idea.

boxfish
    Free Member

Scott Helium Paclite. Had a pair for a year or so. They have been faultless. They size up small. Currently a snip at £45 online at Evans

linky

KevinPP
    Free Member

Another vote for Endura Superlite. Good value and work, whether its a wet weekend in Wales or a winter slog.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

In my experience the 2 great big holes for your legs allow water in… Tried 3 different types, other than wearing full length trousers or duct taping the shorts to your legs, I think you’ll always end up with soggy liners on long rides in heavy rain.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts recommendations Please’ is closed to new replies.