Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Thinking they actually might not be a bad idea, but which ones? I was thinkin of Altura. Don't want to spend a fortune.

druidh
    Free Member

I have the Endura Superlights and they work a treat

mandog

Get a cheap pair of overtrousers from Millets and cut them down. Wear them over your normal shorts.

ton

i had some altura ones.very good too.
    i need some more so have ordered some camo goretex army surplus leggings.
    i am gonna chop them down and use them this winter……£20

racing_ralph
    Free Member

+1 endura superlites

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not keen on buying anymore Endura stuff at the moment although they do look good.

devs
    Free Member

I actually slagged Gary_M of this parish off for spending £80 on a pair of waterproof shorts. I must now apologise. Well sort of. I would never pay that for any kind of shorts but I did pay half that for the Endura ones. They don't make sense till you wear them in the rain and then they make perfect sense. Mine have done a very wet 70km round the Continental trail at NyA this week and they are brill. Cut off army surplus Goretex is the way ahead though I reckon.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Altura Dryline 3/4 £40 something quid. They're great.

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Altura Dryline 3/4 £40 something quid. They're great.

Do they have a hole for peeing through?

Spud

I went through two pairs of Gore Alp-X shorts, one the seam went the other the outer and membrane delaminated.

MisterT

so Spud – did you claim on their guarantee?

kimbers

online link to army surplus gore-tex?

Spud

Yup, one replacement pair and one refund. I'll go down the ex-army route this winter.

allthepies
    Free Member

>online link to army surplus gore-tex?

Ebay – search for "DPM trousers"

cp

i've just got a pair of Altura Attack shorts from Merlin, having heard great things about them. fit is good, but they do come up on the larger side!

cinnamon_girl

Think the army surplus is in Wales. Got some camo Goretex trousers cheap but they are not a girlie fit!

Also use Gore Alp X which I have been really pleased with cos they are a girlie fit. Managed to get a hole in them though – barbed wire 🙁 Cos they are knee length, they do feel unobtrusive and very comfy.

kimbers

what do the dpm trousers come up size wise?

im either 32 or 34 depending on make!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Get a cheap pair of overtrousers from Millets and cut them down"

yep – WFM, but they look awful.

allthepies
    Free Member

Oh, you also want the "goretex"* DPM troons, cotton DPM ones are also available but you don't want those.

* – they're not actually real Goretex but are waterproof with taped seams etc

devs
    Free Member

they're not actually real Goretex but are waterproof with taped seams etc

They were proper Goretex when I was last issued with a pair. Quite a few years ago now mind. I might still have some that Liz neglected to take back off me but they make good fishing trousers so I can't bring myself to cut them down.

odannyboy
    Free Member

"Get a cheap pair of overtrousers from Millets and cut them down"

"yep – WFM, but they look awful."

Yeah, cos when im in a wood at night dripping wet and covered in sticky mud and god know what else, i always take the time to make sure im still looking my best!! 🙄

snowpaul
    Free Member

Hello

I use german ex mil trousers – a fetching green or a flecktarn camo – they have braces and a high back so perfect for biking – cut down they make wicked overshorts

I have a spare pair of unused Medium flecktarn goretes if anyone interested? they are goretex too….

paul

Clink

I bought some Endura Superlites at the start of the 'summer'. They been brill on the bike and I've also used them loads as normal waterproofs, as I tend to where shorts/tevas all the time (no I don't ride a marin or have a beard!).

firestarter
    Free Member

the army ones are proper gortex made by karrimor iirc. Wouldnt fancy cycling in them tho 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

>the army ones are proper gortex made by karrimor iir

The jacket and two pairs of troons I've got have no Goretex branding in them, the material is however very similar and is certainly waterproof. Definitely wouldn't want to bike in the jacket though, would be a mobile sauna in no time 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

there were three issues of it while i was in first was crap and the second was for non combat troops that was good quality but poor fitting and then there was the good stuff that also worked but fitted too 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Think I've got the second then, works but not catwalk fitting 😉

crazy-legs

I've got a pair of Endura something-or-others (lime green waistband on the inside if that helps you ID them) and apart from a slightly strange fit they're very good.

firestarter
    Free Member

if your owt like your profile name allthepies they may fit you great as they were made for support troops 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

firestarter
    Free Member

lol

Surfr
    Free Member

Love my Altura Dryline 3/4s. I wear them over 3/4 bibs and they fit my 661 Kyle Straits underneath without any problems.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ebay army gortex over trousers and cut down (get a size bigger than you need so you can wear normal shorts below, they have no pockets). I brought some about 4 years ago for a tenner and they're the second best investment I've ever made cycling wise (value for money wise, first is a camelbak). They're indestructable and still waterproof despite having grit ground into them. They also weigh nothing and scrunch into a ball.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

dhb (Wiggle only) do some cheap(er) ones but they look like they might be a touch short.

AlasdairMc

I wore through a pair of Altura Drylines after 11 months, the material delaminated and eventually split at the rear. Merlin replaced them with Altura Attacks and they seem slightly harder wearing. Time will tell…

daveb
    Free Member

Endura Superlights for me – excellent

shanta
    Free Member

Im interested in some army surplus – does anyone know where i can get non camo?

mandog

Anyone tried Mace Nos or Maloja Rolle?

Thinking of getting a pair of waterproof shorts soon.

wheelie

Used Madison Waterproof shorts all this weekend……and it has been bloody wet!! No probs, comfortable,waterproof and cheap!

DaveE

Bought some of these last year
    Altura Attack shorts from Merlin
    Great but a couple of small drawbacks they don’t stay up to good when wearing bib shorts and they are noisy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.