Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • waterproof footwear
  • hainman
    Free Member

been looking to find some good waterproof shoes or boots and was wondering if anyone uses or would use walking boots for cycling.
    a bit sturdy,warm and if waterproof would be ideal for this kind of weather….

Jamie
    Free Member

Only prob with walking shoes/boots is they usually have quite a hefty tread pattern on them. I would imagine this would be a bit weird on flats.

Just get some decent merino wool socks and accept being wet, but warm. Plus your shoes will actually drain when you put your foot in a puddle 😉

hainman
    Free Member

i have some sealskinz but i have reynauds and when my hands and feet get cold its bloody sore.i have good gloves but even with the socks my feet get very cold and its a nightmare.been advised by doc to keep as warm as possible so id rather have warm sweaty feet than cold wet feet….. 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

used ride in german paratrooper boots before moving to spds, use to love them though they were cumbersome and heavy. Very liberating not having to worry where you put your feet. If they fit an don’t overly impair your riding I don’t see the problem.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers Klunk….

Northwind

I met a chap at glentress who was using some high-top goretex walkers boots, but as you’d expect the sole wasn’t very good for flats.. So, he just planed it down a bit. Lost some walking traction obviously but he reckoned they worked really well.

(I’ve tried riding in my walking shoes and my wet-weather-running-shoes, both disasterous tbh… But I’ve done a fair bit of riding in my steelies, they work fine)

wwaswas

Can’t you get a 5.10 type sole bonded to any boot?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Northwave celsius are goretex very warm and dry. Got mine in a sale for £70 cant find them that cheap now though.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/27108/Northwave_Celsius_J_GTX_MTB_Shoes_2009

epicyclo

Use walking boots with old fashioned track pedals. Loads of grip. Especially in mud.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

if i’m on flats i use my karrimor waterproof boots from sports direct. the waterproofing doesn’t last forever, but they are cheap. they grip really well to my flat pedals. can’t go too far wrong, i’d say!

Rockape
    Free Member

TK Max you pick waterproof boots up for around £25.00. I got a pair of beurghus and they are brill for keeping your feet warm and dry don’t seem to have problems on v8 flats!!!!

Neil-F
    Free Member

I also wear Karrimor waterproof jobbies from Sports Direct, but I had to put longer pins in my Superstar Nanos, before I replaced the pins they were prone to slipping off or moving. Otherwise they’re fine for biking. I had a better pair of Karrimors before these ones though, they were fine on flats as they had a less rugged sole, but they eventually burst, I had then for ages. 😀

hainman
    Free Member

sounds like its worth a go then,it karrimor ones i was looking at.was originaly the shoes but reconned boots would add that extra wee bit of puddle protection and heat….

rudedog
    Free Member

Shimano AM40’s with goretex socks

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to wear walking boots with beartrap pedals and clips for years.

Doubt they wd work as well with the bmx style flats we all use now tho

hock
    AngusWells
    AngusWells

There’s a previous thread on the MT91s here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shimano-mt91-reviews

They sound ideal for your raynauds.

hainman
    Free Member

angus wells,those shimano’s actually look just like the karrimor boots i just bought from sport direct,apart from the bit of sole you remove for clip-ins….i’ll be trying mine out tomorrow….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘waterproof footwear’ is closed to new replies.