Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Water / Rain getting down the tops of boots, How to stop it
  • yorkycsl
    Free Member

As the title says, I’m tired of water still getting down the tops of my boots, Northwave Exreme new boots, I’ve previously used duct tape around the top of my Shimano MW81 boots,seal skins are ok for a while but eventually the water comes down your legs into the socks, I’ve thought about chopping up some old Endura MT500 over shoes that might offer a little more protection higher up your ankle just to stop the water getting into the boots that way, love long rides in the lakes but the old toes are beginning to get nippy, any ideas ?

Cheers
    Mark

PS One friend suggested a sort of wet suit ankle thing I’ve yet to find on the web.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Drysuit_Spare_Parts.html or the Onion approved DIY is to attack a pair of marigolds.

wwaswas

long waterproof trousers?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Flip flops.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^

Long trousers which go over the top of the boots

MoreCashThanDash

Turbo? Rollers?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Wwaswas, not into the long trousers I find them restrictive but thanks any way.

Cheers
    Mark

PJM1974
    Free Member

In all seriousness, I hate my sealskinz socks because they won’t let water or sweat pass through and I wind up with cold feet anyway. If you wear a second pair socks under the sealskinz then these can wick down and moisture.

Merino socks are pretty good for keeping your feet warm in spite of being wet.

scottfitz
    Free Member

no shoes?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

PJM1974, Agree re the seal skins, I went for the mavic inferno socks & they helped, due to a bad motocross accident broke tib & fib & buggering up the circulation in my right foot I really feel it once were into freezing conditions, not a fair weather rider & just trying to keep the elements at bay.

Ta.

medoramas
    Free Member

Front Crud Catcher fitted as low as possible dramatically reduces the amount of water being thrown on your legs. Tested and trusted.

Mine is fitted just above the bottle cage.

scruff
    Free Member

Long trousers that fit properly while riding 💡

dknwhy

Gaiters?

Clong
    Free Member

Neoprene socks cut down to fit of the ankle area worked for a bit, although they soon neede replacing. Im currently using ankle gaiters over shimano waterproof boots which seem to work well enough. Eventually though, water will get in and the only way you will stop it is by using trousers.

wwaswas

Gaiters?

with 3/4 length shorts that cover the top 3″ of them for that ‘long trousers keeping all the rain out’ effect 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Berghaus Glacier Gaiter:

And waterproof trousers over the top

kayak23

Buy some latex ankle seals, and wear them upside down with the wider bit over the top of your boot.

Neoprene ones may work too…

njee20
    Free Member

I just got some Pearl Izumi Am Fib tights which have a gaiter around the ankle – they fit nicely over winter boots, nice design.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Duct tape

knobbly
    Free Member

I’ve got the shimano MW81 boot. Two winters ago I made custom gators out of old mtb tubes, even on the wettest of rides now I have dry and warm feet. They are still going strong. Want to see a photo?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Cheap quick and easy solution. Tescos black large glove, cut off at the wrist. Use the cuff upside down to seal top of boots. Works a treat. Its also elasticated and moves with you and provides a generous overlap. And as its black it just looks like part of the boot.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I do knobbly. Can we also have a photo of your home made inner tube gators?

iolo
    Free Member

Put the shoes on.
    Silicone sealant round the join where the water comes in.
    Go to b&q and ask for bath sealant. You can also get it in the same colour as your boots.

knobbly
    Free Member

Here is one of them. Now this took a couple of goes to get it right. The glued on flap goes under the top strap of the MW81, this helps hold the whole lot in place, then the long bit wraps round and back onto itself and secures with the velcro fastening. Bit of cutting and stitching, my riding buddies have admired them and said they will copy them, but so far no one has tried. If you walk around a lot they can move a bit, but generally they stay put and even on the wettest ride I only get a small amount of seepage through the stitching where the neoprene cuff attaches to the leather upper – Toastie! Hope my website photo comes up not at all sure of this.

medoramas
    Free Member

Gators from an inner tube? Does is not cut blood circulation off? 😆

mcnultycop

Bib tights over Sealskinz (or the Aldi ones which are actually better!) with merino socks inside.

It’ll get through eventually, but you get that warm wetsuit effect. I’m not adverse to throwing a spare set of waterproof socks in the rucksack and changing mid-ride, if I’m out a few hours.

Mat

I posted up my solution a couple of months ago:

Dry Suit Cuffs for Goretex Boots

They appear to be doing the job – there’s moisture associated with sweat but I guess that’s going to be an issue whatever you try.

tootallpaul

Duct tape and zip ties.

knobbly
    Free Member

trying again with the image!

knobbly
    Free Member

circulation not cut off, tailor made to my skinny ankles

knobbly
    Free Member

long trousers work well, but I HATE riding in longs. I just overheat and they snag over my knees, this allows me to be comfortable all year round, even in the depths of winter.

Nobby

I just got some Pearl Izumi Am Fib tights which have a gaiter around the ankle – they fit nicely over winter boots, nice design.

This.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I even tried strong plastic bags cut to form a cuff then 2inch wide 3m tape stuck over the top of my boots, the inner tubes may be the way forward or extra strong marigolds cut to suit, as mentioned I have crap circulation in one foot due to a accident but the rest of me bloody over heats Grrrrrr, just bought a superb Gore Alp X jacket & I just cook in it.

Ta,

teasel
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Am Fib tights

While I’m an advocate of this wonderful bit of riding kit they will, in heavy rain, eventually allow water through but only by way of it soaking through the various membranes, though they’ll definitely stop direct rainfall entering the top of your boots.

They’re still the best thing on the market for the job IMO, superior to the Stealth bibs they replaced which had a habit of riding up at the ankle when pedalling.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Water / Rain getting down the tops of boots, How to stop it’ is closed to new replies.