• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Shred.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dry suit cuffs for goretex boots
  • Mat

I’ve found my goretex spd boots to be fantastic, right up until the water starts to run down throught the top. I’d heard mentions on here about drysuit cuffs but people didn’t seem to say it worked. Anyway for ~£10 I thought it was worth a bash, I got some large wrist seals and trimmed them down till they stopped feeling too tight on my ankle (but obviously tight enough to seal). I was thinking I would wear them with the flared end closer to my knee but if I found this wasn’t going to work (the difference in diameter at each end was too much) but I found wearing them the other way they fitted nicely over the cuff of the boot. I wore them out today round Glenlivet which didn’t really test there efficacy in terms of sealing but I wanted to check they were bearable. They didn’t feel uncomfortable at all, the part that was in contact with bare skin was clammy but I’m hoping that’s going to be better than soaking wet. They look a bit daft but again I’m not fussed if it stops the boots filling up! I’ll report back when I’ve given them a good wet testing!

Mat
    [/url]Ankle Seal by Mat Aboyne, on Flickr[/img]

scotroutes

Got a pair of Marigolds and a set of scissors….??

kayak23

Excellent. I thought of that too but never bothered trying.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nice black glove from Tescos works ideal same as above

rOcKeTdOg

It’ll stop DVT too

towzer

I use long goretex socks …… (ex MOD fleabay and you can get knee length ones – handy in insect territory as well)

fathomer

Been meaning to try this for a while! Got a link to the ones you bought?

Mat

Here you go, I got these in Large:
    Submerge

just5minutes
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the ankle seals work better?

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’ve been using a set of dry suit ankle cuffs to seal my north wave boots for a few months now. They work so well they actually stopped it raining for a while. Best bit of commuting gear I own.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

I have been using them for a while but glue an underfoot strap (cut from old innertube) in place beneath the foot to hold them down… They are a godsend for guiding on wet days and I can usually drive home in the socks I’ve been wearing!

kiwifiz
    Free Member

3 years on using dry suit cuffs after seeing them mentioned on here…..one of the top STW hive bits of advice for me and works a treat. Should be STW standard issue to put a halt to the endless “How do I keep my feet dry” threads….it’s the missing bit of kit that stops even the best of boots filling up eventually from the top down. Make it a gortex/leather boot and apart from wading in it, you’ve finally got an easy option for dry feet!

Mat

Wouldn’t the ankle seals work better?

Maybe they would? order some up have a go and start a thread on here to report your findings! :P. I thought wrist seals might have a thinner wide end, my original intention had been to run them the other way round almost like a rubber tubey grip. I know it’s not a new idea but looking through previous threads I couldn’t find any pictures/details of how people had implemented it and what they’d used (starts deluge of your didn’t look very hard see this posts).

Shred
    Free Member

I use walking gaiters over my winter boots on my rides at the moment. There are lots of deep puddles on the paths that I ride meaning a log of water splashes onto my lower legs. These keep most of the water off my legs and stops the splash going into my boots.

Obviously they don’t work if you actually stand in deep water, but for most of my riding they work fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dry suit cuffs for goretex boots’ is closed to new replies.