Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Water bills question
  • transporter13
    Free Member

Just read totalshells’ thread and thought that what he’s paying is cheap

My new yearly bill is about £570 with anglian water and not on a meter, although Anglian water are sending out letters and pamphlets trying to convince the local area to switch to meters

Just trying to find out if this is the norm/average

What does everyone else pay?

jota180
    Free Member

Ours has just gone up to £310 for water and sewerage with Northumbrian Water

4 bed Victorian Terrace, not on a meter and not taking one any time soon

Dibbs
    Free Member

You don’t live in the South West then, £775.31!!!!

CHB

About £630 with Yorkshire Water. Not on a meter and with a family of four, a large garden, two cars and a fleet of bikes to wash we have not plans to get a meter.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why the strong anti meter feeling? We are pretty careful with water and our bill has almost halved since going on a meter.

jota180
    Free Member

Why the strong anti meter feeling? We are pretty careful with water and our bill has almost halved since going on a meter.

Well, mines quite low as a fixed amount and I don’t want to be particularly careful with my usage
    I do a lot of garden watering and washing of cars and bikes etc.

samuri
    Free Member

Averages here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16801585

Don’t forget, the water industry is heavily regulated, one of the strongest set of controls in the UK. No water company can charge what they want.

RichPenny
    Free Member

2 bed flat currently with 3 adults and a baby. Was paying £13.50 metered pcm but that left a shortfall. By my fag packet calculations I reckon between £20 and £25 would comfortably cover us. Unmetered is £42 pcm! No brainer for single people/small families. If you’re filling ponds/washing cars and bikes all the time then you might be better off unmetered. When I last checked you were able to have a meter installed but revert back to unmetered if it didn’t save you money. Not sure if I’d trust that scenario in the long term though.

andyl
    Free Member

Ours has just gone up again. We pay the most down here in the South West. Almost £600 now for a 3 bed house 🙁

spooky_b329

We are a 2 bed terrace, band B property.

Separate companies for supply and waste, supply is £174 and waste is £211, so thats £385.

We are in the South East and I think there is a project currently ongoing to install meters to all properties. I don’t mind as I think our rates will stay roughly the same, and although we are careful with water, there is always room for improvement.

For those that don’t want to be careful with their water usage…thats the exact reason meters should be installed! Water should be treated like water and gas…use it wisely.

Doesn’t mean you can’t wash the car, it just means you don’t leave the hose running whilst you are soaping the car.

jota180
    Free Member

For those that don’t want to be careful with their water usage…thats the exact reason meters should be installed! Water should be treated like water and gas…use it wisely

there’s no need we have more water than we know what to do with up here

Pretty certain that there’s as much water on earth as there’s always been – you need to move if the available water can’t supply the size of the local population

Got to go, the garden fountain needs cleaning 🙂

rob2
    Free Member

Water bills are on average about 1/3 of energy bills from memory. The drought this year will be interesting. Think I’d rather pay a bit more than risk drought restrictions like 1976.

juanking

One of the beauties of living in Scotland is its lumped into your council tax however our bill is almost 3000 a year….

spooky_b329

there’s no need we have more water than we know what to do with up here

There is still an environmental and financial cost to treating the water you are using, and again for treating the extra sewerage created. (unless the water goes via the garden/soakaway)

matthewlhome
    Free Member

In response to OP- depending how many of you there are in the property will affect if you will save money. If just a couple of you then probably better on a meter, if a family of 4 or more who bath a lot then likely better on rates. I think that Anglian water will allow you to have a meter fitted, and if the costs work out higher you can stay on rateable value. Metering is desired by the company as it helps to reduce consumption, as well as helping measurement of where the water goes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Water bills question’ is closed to new replies.