Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Watch Suggestions…(under £300)
  • fubar
    Free Member

I'm looking for a new watch but nothing has caught my eye in the shop windows I've passed by.

My criteria include:-

– budget (under £300)
    – …but not super budget (I already have a cheap digital so no I'm not buying a £10 Casio)
    – 'casual' not a smart / dress watch..probably leather strap
    – not overly large face (slim wrist)
    – Prefer Analogue but would look at digital
    – ideally I want to see and try it on in a shop in the North West
    – perhaps a touch of colour (even if just on strap)
    – Solar / Motion power even better but not essential

Any suggestions for something a little different ?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Seiko Kinetic of some sort?

My main watch is around £200 (much cheaper from abroad on ebay) is solar powered, nuclear bomb proof and looks fairly smart (fully analogue) – G Shock Giez.

Giez

They do a pretty natty all black version too for around your budget.

meesterbond

For <£300 I'd have a look here

The PRS50B looks fabulous (a bit of a Fifty Fathoms homage) and the Speedbirds always seem to be well thought of…

fubar
    Free Member

That G Shock Giez looks a possibility (£175 on Amazon)

The problem I've found with the Seiko Kinetic is that the ones I've seen have all been a bit too 'smart' / metal strapped. I already have a Steel Citizen Eco Drive which I like but want something a bit more casual.

finbar
    Free Member

This doesn't really fulfil many of your criteria, but i just bought one and i like it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

fubar – there's a few versions of the Giez available – that's only the one I have. I got mine much cheaper than £200 off a Teabay Powerseller.

This one is pretty cool:

Mine goes surfing a lot and is totally accurate – nice to have atomic too. Takes a wee bit of setting up (the manual is cr4p) but once it's done, you just forget about it – no batteries, no time re-setting ever again!

fubar
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – have you got the model number for that last one…pictures on the G-Shock site re not so clear.

Any idea which ebay seller you used…presume the warranty is world-wide and it would go back to Casio direct if there was a problem ?

thanks

oddjob
    Free Member

I have the cheapest Tag Heuer as an everyday watch that is holding up really well to general abuse and is somewhere around your budget.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like the Swiss Army ones. V subjective though.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

fubar – it was a bit of a one off – an ebay seller had four available at around £110. I "sniped" all four just to make sure I got one!

If you search for Giez on ebay loads come up but some of the prices are utterly nuts!

Make sure it's solar atomic though – a few Giez models (like the 1001 and 1000) aren't – mine is a GS1100.

That one is a GS1300:
    GS1300

Warranty is Worldwide – I checked. Just return it to a G Shock dealer (like H Samuels) if you get issues.

fubar
    Free Member

ah – listed as "GS-1300B" for the black one…but £400.01 where I just looked

warton
    Free Member

oddjob – Member
    I have the cheapest Tag Heuer as an everyday watch that is holding up really well to general abuse and is somewhere around your budget.

Really? a tag for less than 300 quid? where did you get it from?

meesterbond

You can pick up 2nd hand Quartz Tags for <£300 occasionally… Chrono24 is a pretty good source or from the Classified at one of the watch fora..

Not sure I've ever seen them new for that price.

failedengineer

http://www.hanowa.ch/pages/Quartz/Conquest.html

Hava a look at these – I sold a very expensive (and far too flash) watch and got one. I looks classy, IMHO. Same movement as most Swiss quartz watches, incl. Omega.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I have one of these(£245 – 10%): –

Been a good watch too.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

fubar – Member
    Any suggestions for something a little different ?

fubar
    Free Member

Any suggestions for something a little different

!

fubar
    Free Member

…Poor Mans Watch Forum…that's a good place to look (and that Tissot looks good if a little too conservative)

Liking the Hanowa stuff too (as well as G-Shock)…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

bought a tissot last year for around £200, been great so far really like it…

Woody
    Free Member

meesterbond – are you on TZ by any chance?

I'd also recommend the PRS/Speedbird range if you want a 'classic' styled watch which won't look dated in 10 yesrs time. I've a PRS3 and it's a very well made watch and excellent value.

You could also have a look at the Zeno range (make sure it's a 'proper' one if looking on fleabay) and you can't go far wrong with anything by Seiko in your price range.

meesterbond

meesterbond – are you on TZ by any chance?

I do visit there from time to time, but don't post a lot…

I was going to recommend Seiko… I've got an Orange Monster as a beater and for the £100 or so I paid for it, the quality is outstanding…

Another alternative would be something from Archimede – the Pilots watches are pretty close to the budget (€325) and very nicely finished.

Everywhen
    Free Member

Mondaine, understated classic.

fubar
    Free Member

I like the look of that Mondaine – quick search suggests a cost of £345 so not too far over…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Watch Suggestions…(under £300)’ is closed to new replies.