Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wasp nest removal
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Just found a wasp nest under our raised veg patch, I can see them flying to the bottom of the timber then crawling in underneath.
    Is there a way to kill them off without trying to dig down to them whilst they fly around stinging all and sundry?
    IE. through the entrance hole.

kevj
    Free Member

Ring the council, it is a free service.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

boiling hot water

large418
    Free Member

Why kill them ? They are pollinating your vegs (or something). they’ll be gone in a few months

Drac

They’ll kill loads of pests on/around your veg patch and if not disturb they won’t sting.

fadda

And if you want rid of them, you can get spray foam stuff to spray in the hole. Best leave them well alone for an hour or so after spraying…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t go poking them with a stick!! They will attack as a mates father in law found out. He ran off, approx 10 stings later, went back 30 mins later (to pick up hedge trimmers he’d put down on first discovering nest) they were still agitated, 5 more stings! Next job was get the yellow book out!!

brian2510
    Free Member

Best bet mate is to get some ant powder and puff that down the hole they will b going mad for a few hours but after that they will b dead wouldn’t recommend digging nest out as u will get stung alot best to do it ether early in morning or later at nite I am a pest controller with the local authority so deal with 30 plus of these a day other than that call out some one who will charge a fortune to do it when it’s only going to cost u couple of pounds at the most.hope that helped you mate

RicB

Yep – permethrin based ant powder (99p from Wilkos). Chuck some on the entry hole late evening when they’re quiet. They’ll carry it into the nest with them and they’ll be dead by morning.

And to head-off the alarmists; permethrin is the same ingredient in Lyclear and other scabies treatments for humans so it won’t poison half your street!

Hairychested
    Free Member

MTFU and build one of those:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zr56MjRabQ&feature=related[/video]

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Ring the council, it is a free service.

Not a free service, approx £30 for most councils to take care of it. While there are plenty of home methods Id be leaving it to the experts as if it goes wrong, it will could go horribly wrong (ie stinging neighbours and them blaming you)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Seeing as no-one has said it yet:

Nuke it

geoffj

Leave the feckers alone

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Spray foam stuff from local diy shop. I have to clear a nest every other year from my loft.
    Put on all your clothes, cover every part of your skin. Spray from about 10 feet and RUN!!!

They go seriously mental, then die.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is there a way to kill them off without trying to dig down to them whilst they fly around stinging all and sundry?
    IE. through the entrance hole.

They is stinging you in your entrance hole??? You best be staying away from them then

The other option is to blast it with hair spray. you need to run like hell but after about a hundred yards, you have the satisfaction of stopping and watching them glide to the ground

mtbfix

If you can leave them be I would do so. This assumes that they are not already a problem. Wasps eat other garden pests so killing them will just shift your garden pest issue along.

slightreturn
    Free Member

if you can put up with them for this season, then leave them alone, wasps only ever use a nest for one summer i was once told.

skiboy
    Free Member

had a wasp nest in my loft all last year, never got stung once, i hate the evil things but decided to let them live, thought about phoning the council but in the end just let them be, end of the year they all died and the queens buggered off to find a new home,

the entrance was above the back door some 20 feet up, i have two young daughters under six and a squeamish wife, they never bovered us. good karma

TatWink
    Free Member

As above Nissin ant powder, puff a couple of times into the entrance, leave five mins then another couple of puffs, they’ll be gone in 12 hrs.

saleem
    Free Member

I hit a nest last summer cutting the hedge and got stung in the chest, then blasted the nest with the hose and it just broke down, try the hose and the worst that could happen is you water your veg.

sweepy
    Free Member

You leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone.

Ewan
    Free Member

In the past I’ve just crept up to the nest with a spade, twatted it flat, and legged it. Obviously you don’t go back to the scene for a few hours and it only works if the nest is out in the open (hanging from the roof of a shed in my example).

I also got rid of one by filling the barrel of my potato canon with water, pumping it up to 100psi, and then firing it at point blank range. No wasps or nest left after that!

My mum used to get ride of them from our garage when I was little by putting on her coat and marigolds and just picking it up and throwing it in a bin bag. Double hard.

The stings don’t hurt that much anyway.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

Had the District council around to one in our conifer bush this morning.It cost £42 and he was here for only 10 minutes or so. He reckons there will be about 200 wasps in the nest at this time of year and will grow to around 1000 by September. Ive had them under the floor of my house before, they left around the end of September and didnt come back to that nest. Ive got a inquisitive 2 year old now so decided not to take any chances.

richmars

Do most of the above with a mate who doesn’t run very fast. They’ll sting him while you escape.

lowey

I found one in the bird box at the end of my garden. They came after me when I got to within 5′ of the thing.

My old fella use to get rid of them for the council, got suited up with a face net and stuck a smoke pellet in through the entrance. They were all dead in a couple of hours.

Fekcing hate wasps… nazi’s of the insect world.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wasp nest removal’ is closed to new replies.