Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 'Warm' Gilet
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Looking for a gilet, but not the usual super thin with windproof front

More one which will give warmth too, so maybe an insulated front, and mesh rear half type of thing

Still needs to be windproof (ans at least water resistant)

Does such a thing exist?

jam-bo

Howies hewaddy thingy?

honourablegeorge

Intrepid apparel do a softshell one which is warm, windproof and water resistant, good value when it’s on sale, sizing a bit odd

Mackem

Endura one is thicker and warmer than a normal one.
    https://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=29&initcode=E9064BK

I see they have a full-on warm thing too…

https://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=905&initcode=E3069BK

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a completely unworn Vulpine one in medium in green if of any use? Keep meaning to sell it.

The one here, in green.

jameso

Rapha have one, Cafe du Cycliste also. The Endura flipjac gilet is great but toasty/hot. Montane Prism is good, cooler than the Endura but still primaloft front and rear. No-one’s making a good mid-range thin insulation-filled front / std back gilet yet though.

honourablegeorge

Didn’t howies have a insualted front, light back thing? Was it jacket only/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a feel of that Endura primaloft one in my LBS the other day. It’s nice but I can’t quite see when I’d wear it on the bike. Turbo warm up ahead of race on a cold day maybe.

singlespeedstu

This is what I was wearing without the sleeves the other day when you asked about it.

https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/aksium-convertible-jacket-d7351.html

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stu – Is all the jacket and arms the same material, or is it thicker on the front or any other kinda combo? Cheers

dpfr

I like the Maloja Aruons Multisport, which is exactly as you describe, but it look a bit hard to track down now

singlespeedstu

Same thickness all over. Seems to be just about right as in not too hot but keeps you warm but not overheating when pedaling.
    Though the arms are a lot cooler when you remove them. 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK ta – think I’ll try one…

Going by their sizing chart think I’ll need xl, even for my modest frame

singlespeedstu

I’m in an XL too.

jobro
    Free Member

I was going to give this Karrimor one a go for running. I know its a crappy shop but it just might work

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-trail-running-gilet-mens-451159?colcode=45115990

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve been using the dhb from wiggle thermal one from last year, tempted to get a new one this year.

Haze

Perfetto?

tang
    Free Member

Giro do one I think. I’ve just been sent a Castelli pre race warm up jacket from sponsors. Insulated in parts and nanoflex the rest. Yet to ride in it but for crispy days looks ideal.

jonnyboi

Galibier foul weather gilet, it’s pretty awesome

Ultimate foul weather Gilet

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The Rapha transfer Gillet is a great bit of kit IMHO..

jameso

Had a feel of that Endura primaloft one in my LBS the other day. It’s nice but I can’t quite see when I’d wear it on the bike. Turbo warm up ahead of race on a cold day maybe.

It is a bit warm for anything high-paced. I use it and other gilets like it under a waterproof if touring in bad weather (where something like this is a brilliant, ride-saving type of item), sitting around or pootling base miles in cooler conditions.

Galibier kit looks pretty good, not seen that before. Gilet seems useful if you didn’t need actual insulation, more of a soft-shell material.

Kamakazie

I’ve got three intrepid apparel soft shell and been very impressed on colder days.

nedrapier

I’ve got a synth insulated arcteryx atom gillet which is great when it’s cold. Good to carry as a thrown-on layer for stops when it’s warmer, too.

ElShalimo

It is not cycling specific but a Marmot Variant vest is pretty good. It has a wind-proof insulated front and the back is Polartec Powerstretch (stretchy fleece material).
    They sometimes appear on Amazon and Sportpursuit at low prices too.

jameso

^ that looks ideal. If you’re a L, get one quick..

benp1

If you want an insulated vest/gilet then most outdoor brands will have one.

You need to decide what time of fill you want
    – down – would suggest not
    – non breathable synthetic, like primaloft gold/one – warm and nice
    – breathable synthetic, like polartec alpha, less warm but much more breathable

Then the outer and inner fabric will make a difference to how much wind gets through, so will also have an impact on warmth

I have loads of gilets, it’s a problem! Alpha, primaloft, down and normal windproof, plus insulated as per normal and insulated front.

For riding at low pace something insulated front and back will be fine. For most pacier rides something insulated on the front and non-insulated (and ideally non-windproof) on the back will be great. There are a few options available. Cycling brands like Rapha do them, but you can find running ones at a much better price that are sometimes more versatile. I have an Adidas Terrex one, and as it’s for running and not cycling has hand pockets and a chest pocket, which for the type of use it gets is dead handy

jameso

– non breathable synthetic, like primaloft gold/one – warm and nice
    – breathable synthetic, like polartec alpha, less warm but much more breathable

I saw non-breathable mentioned before re primaloft but how does that work – std primaloft is a fluffy sheet of fibres so I can’t see how it doesn’t breathe, probably faster than the outer fabric?

Mattbike

Check out these from Aldi Aldi Running Gilet
    They are reduced in our local Aldi to £11.99

I bought one a few weeks back, works well on a night ride.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That Mavic looks like their version of the Gore Phantom. Mine is the best piece of riding kit I’ve ever bought – through winter you just vary the weight and sleeve length of the baselayer you wear underneath to take you from around 10C down to below freezing.

Windproof front, roubaix back, removable arms.

benp1

I saw non-breathable mentioned before re primaloft but how does that work – std primaloft is a fluffy sheet of fibres so I can’t see how it doesn’t breathe, probably faster than the outer fabric?

Sorry, only just seen this

It’s not ‘not breathable’, it’s mainly that it’s sandwiched between two shells which are usually chosen for their windproof abilities, to boost warmth. They’re usually designed to add warmth when static or for low intensity stuff (level walking, day to day stuff)

Things like Alpha are usually sandwiched between more breathable shells as they’re designed high intensity insulation when it’s chilly, so will breath much better than Primaloft gold/one type documents

It’s a generalisation though

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Paramo Torres gillet.

Works well on its own over a base layer, under a waterproof shell or in your bag as a spare safety layer. Couldn’t recommend it enough – it’s my essential piece of (properly cold) winter riding kit.

benp1

I have one, it’s fairly warm for a gilet and not particularly breathable

I think the fill is around 100g/m2 so it’s at the warmer end of the scale

I’ve used it for riding home after a ride when it had got dark and quite chilly. But you wouldn’t want to be doing any serious exertion in it

Mind you, I’ve seen people cycling in many many layers so I’m probably at the warm blooded end of the scale

1-shed
    Free Member

Aldi running gilet picked up for £5.99. I think it will be quite a useful garment. Cheers 1 shed.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘'Warm' Gilet’ is closed to new replies.