Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Want (road content)
  • alexathome
    Free Member

Steel bikes and plastic bikes do ride quite differently in my opinion. I’ve got a steel, an Aluminium and a full cabon bike at the moment. The steel one is a lugged Supercorsa, the Aluminium is an Racelight RC2 and the plactic one is a R3SL. They are all set up with pretty good kit. The Cinelli probably weighs in around 20.5 the RC2 at 16 and the R3SL around 15. The setup is kind of similar, in terms of where the wheels are, bars, saddle etc, crank length etc. I’d like to put my finger on what makes them all different in terms of how they ride, but it’s not easy to do.

I’d say that the R3SL is the most comfy bike on a long ride, as well as the quickest. it is only 6 lbs lighter than the Supercorsa, but is much more responsive, even if you are loaded down with 2 full water bottles and running the same wheelset.

The Supercorsa gives you a warm glow inside to look at, if you like that kind of thing. The RC2 is just a fantastic do anything road bike, light, fast, responsive. The frame is very stiff, in the front half. This is not a attribute to be ignored when picking a bike. I have had bikes (steel, titanium and Carbon) that have scared me silly when either decending or sprinting.

Basically i guess that you can’t really judge how a bike is going to ride by the material that it’s made from. With aluminium to some extent this is possible i guess, as they are on the whole going to be reasonably stiff. But i’ve have lightweight steel frames that have been hideously uncomfortable and carbon frames that have been like spongecake.

Ride before you buy.

woffle
    Free Member

Independent Fabrication XS. Ti and carbon.

want.

However, it’s unsurprisingly silly money – nearly $7K for F&F (that’s without taxes and shipping too), with 8-10 week delivery…

oldgit
    Free Member

TheDoctor…quite.
    I had a very brief aquaintance with a guy called Mike Olheiser (at the time world masters TT champion) he left behind a steel/Dura Ace road bike and it was staggeringly light. I think it might have been a Massi or Fuji. Though I did notice it was covered in dents?

Am I correct in thinking that Reynolds are chasing a steel that could compete with carbon?

MrSmith
    Free Member

not all steel frames ride like wet noodles.
    my pegoretti rides more like a carbon bike, the downtube is the same diameter as the head tube (38mm down tube/32mm seat and TT). most people look at it and think it aluminium.
    it’s about 18lb. i could build it lighter but i’m happy with the dura-ace/ultegra/DT/thomson mix of parts, it certainly doesn’t ride heavy.
    stiff, direct steering but comfortable enough to ride all day (plenty of centuries (imperial not metric) plus tour of flanders sportives.
    i wouldn’t want any other bike apart from another pegoretti, or perhaps a plastic bike that takes mudgaurds for the winter.

oldgit
    Free Member

Never ever seen a Pegoretti in the flesh, meant to be worlds apart from other steel frames.

ourmaninthenorth

oldgit – mate who owns the Holdsworth and Masi up there^^^ also has a PEgoretti. His is the lugged Luigino. Beautiful thing (even though he despoils it with a triple – lives in Devon where it’s uber lumpy).

oldgit
    Free Member

They’re mental money aren’t they?

Anyway you can probably see I’m after a nice steel winter/general riding bike from my posts.
    Your post prompted me to check out some older stuff, and for a few hundred quid you can buy some nice steel that’ll take modern 10 speed.
    Seen some gorgeous Italian jobs that’ll take the 105 groupset, brooks Swift, 1″ Chris King, handbuilts etc. And even with a respray I’ll get all that for under a grand.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Hmm the pegoretti’s are ok i guess, there are much better italian steel frames though and others as well. They certainly aren’t worth the wait or money!

MrSmith
    Free Member

there are much better italian steel frames though

be interested in what you think is “much better” i like the Zullo frames but haven’t seen much else apart from the likes of Scapin, Viner and Tommasini. they are not in the same class imho.

BigM
    Free Member

Buy a custom steel bike from some like Tom

http://www.donhoubicycles.com/

Built to your own spec.

b1galus
    Free Member

i had a lovely de rosa neo primato until i sold it last week , it was stunning to ride with a full campag record carbon gruppo i only sold it cos it was marginally too big for me . expensive but not silly money

MrSmith
    Free Member

phat steel tubes on this lovely zullo

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Want (road content)’ is closed to new replies.