Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Walking on ice – mini crampons?
  • jonb
    Free Member

My GF has been walking to work for the last few days but it's hard work. I've seen mini crampons but they look a bit severe so does anybody make something to make walking on patch ice easier that doesn't make you look like you're off to the Eiger? She already has proper boots and they are crampon compatable.

I wish I had some cross country skis! Keep seeing people on the news and I'm very jealous.

scaredypants

nice pair of spivvy golf shoes with spikes ? (or cricket even?)

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Kahtoola microspikes

footflaps

Search for 'crampons' on Amazon, there are quite a few clip on ones for shoes.

I just bought some of these from Action Outdoors.

Olly
    Free Member

pair of socks over normal shoes is supposed to be very good.

jonb
    Free Member

I sugested rnning shoes.

Those microspikes look nice.

giant_scum
    Free Member

My SO has a pair of Olang boots that have a flip over studded bit in the sole. They seem alright not heard any complaints about slipping!

skidartist
    Free Member

Places that sell snow chains for cars also sell snow-chain-like appendages for shoes

Stoner
    Free Member

I use these. Theyre brilliant, but I cant remember what theyre called.
    I got them in the trespass shop in covent garden.

BadlyWiredDog

Icebug shoes if you can track them down in the UK. Basically running shoes with carbide studs embedded in the soles, Swedish things, work really, really well, even on hard water ice.

http://www.icebug.se/Default.aspx?m=4

MrNutt
    Free Member

pull out the insoles, grab your screwdriver and a few 15mm screws!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Be wary of something called Yak Tracks as I have been looking for anti skid shoe wear and although they get some good reviews, a lot of people seem to find they break or things get trapped in the springs. The microspikes mentioned seem to do lots better in internet reviews.

Chris Townsend (well respected long distance walker/journalist/author) did a review of microspikes:
    http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear/winter-gear/crampons/kahtoola-micro-spikes-40-1.989884

Everywhere I tried had sold out of everything and one company said it had a waiting list of 40 people for the microspikes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Walking on ice – mini crampons?’ is closed to new replies.