Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Walking boot recommendation?
  • BillMC

I am in the market for some light, waterproof and breathable boots. They will get relatively light off-road duties and will be used when travelling. Any experience/informed observations would be most gratefully received.

martinhutch

Does it have to be a boot? I use ‘approach shoes’ – rugged, waterproof trainers such as Merrells or Scarpas for pretty much everything short of a complete bogfest. And they are comfy enough for travelling/everyday use.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They will get relatively light off-road duties and will be used when travelling.

Yep, as above, I’d agree that nice shoe would be better for that. I have some lovely Haglofs for that same purpose.

neilthewheel

Salomon are great.
    If they are for light duties/travelling, have a look at some North Face Hedgehogs. They’re an approach shoe rather than a boot, but are waterproof and very comfortable. I live in mine and am on my 3rd pair. (each pair sees me through 3 years!)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Or off road running shoes for a lighter alternative to approach shoes. I wear proper leather boots when it’s wet and cold or snowy, and trainers the rest of the time.

martinhutch

North Face Hedgehogs

I’m currently on a pair of these for riding and am slightly disappointed – they have both holed out on the top near the toe box after about five months.

I preferred my old Scarpas, which managed not to disintegrate despite a real pounding on the trail.

andybanks
    Free Member

Berghaus Vapour Claw – http://www.berghaus.com/mens-vapour-claw-shoe/420926.html?dwvar_420926_color=P54&cgid=mens-shoes#cgid=mens-shoes&start=2

I’ve got the older version and the waterproofing and comfort are the best I’ve had.

ElShalimo

The boots/shoes that fit your feet and you’re comfy wearing them and can afford is the only answer here.

jimjam
    Free Member

For boots I would recommend Lowa and Meindl, but as above I reckon an approach shoe or even a trail running shoe might suit you better.

Over the last 3 years I’ve had Salomon s-lab XT, Salomon Speedcross 3cs and Brooks Cascadia. I found the Brooks to be far more comfortable and more durable in every way than the Salomon which seem to fall apart after 9 months to a year.

The Brooks were comfortable for all day walking wear, trail running and walking about muddy mtb trails.

If you are going to be doing more off road hiking and walking than on road, or you want something tougher I can strongly recommend Merrell Moab GTX. Mine are about 5 or 6 years old, and while they are on their last legs they’ve outlasted a lot of other shoes. I’ve been up plenty of mountains in them, great for anything where you just don’t need the upper ankle protection and extra stiffness of a boot.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I wasn’t impressed with hedgehogs either! And I had the goretex ones, far from water proof. Now in la sportiva boulder x, infinitely better. Not waterproof either but a far better all day shoe.

midlifecrashes

Brasher Supalite II gtx (Leather) or Supalite Active GTX(Fabric) would be my recommendation based on neither having seen them nor walked in them or even read any reviews. I do have the original Supalite, and if they fit you, they are amazing for the weight. But if you don’t need a boot, you’re better without the bulk in your luggage.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d check the Sport Pursuit footwear selection: http://www.sportpursuit.com/hiking?type=Footwear (doesn’t include my referral link btw!)

I’ve got Kefas boots from there and they are perfect. Also bought some Kefas shoes (the Light shell). They sell some European brands (eg. Dachstein) which aren’t recognised over here, but are still up there, quality wise.
    They also have Garmonts and Haglofs.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Alt-Berg for the perfect fit.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/en/mens-chocorua-trail-15130.html

on my 2nd pair of these (1st pair lasted 2 1/2 years, worn virtually every day walking the dog)

V comfy, mainly waterproof (goretex) and light

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This could upset the snobs but for lightweight use I’m recommending Regatta Aphelion Isotex. Difficult to find as discontinued but there are a few around in odd sizes, and pop up on ebay from time to time unworn. Why would I recommend Regatta? Because I chanced upon a pair end of season sale in local farmer’s shop, had a good look at them, PU midsole, good soles, soft leather, waterproof. So I tried them on, fitted, excellent roll-on roll-off. Looked nice. But most of all they were exceptional quality. I take walking seriously, especially with problem joints and need something that encourages a good gait and keeps me cool. Prior to these I used Lowa GTX and other equivalents for years. Anyhoops I bought two pairs of Regatta Aphelion right there (one for other half, she also swears by them) and then after a week or two of wear I purchased a further pair in a sale online to keep me in good stead. Pity they are discontinued because at the original 120.00 rrp they were still a very good buy IMO, at 40 quid it was a steal. No good for lots of rocks, scrambling or crampons as they are not meant for that and the leather is soft, but for all day walking day to day use, and in lower level wet stuff – 110%

Moses

Try on lots of pairs & buy what suits your feet.
    Asolo & Zamberlan are v narrow, I rate Keen for comfort & good width.
    Brasher lightweight boots, now rebranded Berghaus, are excellent if they fit you.

seosamh77
    Free Member

+ one for salomon, I had 2 pairs of north face hedgehogs, salomon pisses all over them in terms of durability.

scotroutes

Fit and comfort before anything else. I have Salomon shaped feet so usually opt for something in their range. Brasher, Scapa and a few others have been tried but just don’t fit.

Clobber
    Free Member

My last 2 pairs of salomon have been awful, don’t know if quality control has dropped off or what but I won’t get anymore and this is coming from a real salomon fanboi (now ex fanboi)

madxela
    Free Member

berghaus lightweight walking boots – got a pair last year to replace some salomons whose soles fell off. really impressed, light as trainers, but excellent ankle support and very comfy.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Explorer-Trail-Light-Hiking/dp/B001VH6G0O

I like them.

Numerous hikes around the lakes, northumbria. Took them to Iceland and I will be going to Ethiopia at the end of this week.

I would question if you need boots. If you aren’t doing walks carrying fully loaded packs or in wet and muddy conditions then shoes are fine.

Most of my walks are wet moorland so boots make sense. When I’ve been to dry places or haven’t been doing a dedicated walking holiday I’ve always just taken a good pair of trainers.

wrecker
    Free Member

Asolo are the best I’ve had so far, but fit is the most important thing. Go and see how many you can try on before the sales asst gets sick of you!

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Berghaus GTX for me (the leather ones Explorer Ridge i think). On my 3rd pair. Still wear my first pair for light duties which must be 16 year old now, comfy as slippers!

core

Meindl are good, but generally too heavy duty for what you’re after I think, I used to wear them a lot when I did a lot of digging, as the soles are so robust, they don’t flex much and I really don’t like them a great deal to walk in these days, memory foam inserts great though, and properly waterproof, with decent gaiters they were better than wellies.

I’ve got these also:

They’re a 2009 model Explorer light GTX and are easily the most comfortable, and best boots I’ve ever owned, they get zero maintenance and are still fully waterpoof and just as good as the day I bought them. Anything similar would be a good bet.

Also, ‘active’ shoes are fugly, and make you look a bit of a tool to be honest, pensioners love ‘um……..

thered

Can anybody recommend a good shop in the Stoke area to try said footwear?

BillMC

Thanks everyone. I’ve just ordered some Chocorua Trails.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Walking boot recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.