Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Walkie Talkies….. any advice on good ones?
  • thebaker
    Free Member

Got some filming to do next month in a quarry, pretty big open space and for some shots I’ll be a long way from the subject. So thought about getting some Walkie Talkies, seen a few on fleaBay but would be interested to know if anyone has used them?

Cheers

elliptic
    Free Member

Not really got any specific recommendations but pretty much any PMR446 model should do the job, useful range maybe a mile or two but you’ll be line of sight anyway! The Motorola ones with the “hoop” moulding on the end of the case are quite good for clipping securely onto harnesses / rucksack straps etc.

Definitely worth having CTCSS/subchannels/”privacy codes” [1] which help cut out crosstalk from any other nearby users on the same frequency as you.

Voice-activated TX (hands free) is the other common “premium” feature although it often doesn’t work that well.

[1] or any other marketing buzzword for exactly the same feature

thebaker
    Free Member

Cheers elliptic,

Thats worth knowing, I have found a couple of different ones and Motorola seem to be coming out top. The clip loops would be useful for sure.

Thanks for the input!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The ones we got from Lidl years ago are perfectly decent and have subchannels etc etc

Pauly

Maplins had a good few on offer when I was in last weekend.

cranberry
    Free Member

Some time ago I got these Maxxon radios recommended.

mattbee

Motorola XTN446 or the newer digital version. Used them for years, mainly in either heavy woodland or built up areas. go for about £40-£60 on fleabay.

Or look at hiring some licensed ones, for much better signal. Somewhere like Talkingheadsets.com should be able to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Walkie Talkies….. any advice on good ones?’ is closed to new replies.