Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Waitrose – Great place but beware of expiry dates
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I bought some houmous from them last year, which I was going to serve to friends over the weekend. Imagine my disgust when I found out that it had gone way past the expiry date. They wouldn’t even give me a free replacement.
    Terrible service.

tthew

it had gone way past the expiry date. They wouldn’t even give me a free replacement

They’re pretty hot on customer service, they might have done if you’d asked.

Either in person or by e-mail.

nickjb
    Free Member

2/10

jonnyboi

Nice idea, poor execution.

Comedic emails would have been required.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They have stopped stocking Hamas in our local branch. Count yourself lucky.

vinnyeh

They have stopped stocking Hamas in our local branch

😆 Shouldn’t this be in the Anti-Semitism thread?

binners

Were you going picking up your calender. Is next years any good?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Too generous, Nick!

🙂

dantsw13

On a serious note, I bought a leg of lamb from them a few years back, which went mouldy prior to expiry date. I returned it – they refunded in full and gave me a replacement FOC.

Sainsbury’s are appalling for short dated food – everything nearing expiry is pushed to the front, with any long dated products hidden behind.

deadkenny
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member 
    Sainsbury’s are appalling for short dated food – everything nearing expiry is pushed to the front, with any long dated products hidden behind.

I find this a lot, especially my Sainsbury’s Local. They only put stuff like bread about to expire today on the shelves. Not even the stuff at the back is longer dated. A day at home and bread is off already. Similar with many other perishables. Co-op bread usually has half a week or more to go.

Though Sainsbury’s bananas are generally green. Many places they’re very ripe.

IHN

everything nearing expiry is pushed to the front, with any long dated products hidden behind.

Isn’t that exactly the right approach?

Anyhoo, I once bought a brace of mallard from Waitrose, and when they were opened they were, well, ripe. The good people refunded twice the difference, with only the labels from the packets as evidence (cos the pongy quackers had gone straight in the bin)

spawnofyorkshire

You do realise that’s just general stock management? It’s how every supermarket and fresh goods shop operate

thestabiliser
    Free Member

At booths you’re allowed to select your radishes from seed based on their parents growth performance and university results, once these fourished to their maximum potential (with the poorer specimens being sent to grammar school) these are then delivered to your door by a fairy princess riding a unicorn using time travel to ensure theat they arrive some months before you even thought of buying them, preserved in carbonite so that they’ll be perfect at the point of use.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fridge is full of **** carbonite though

dantsw13

It may be stock management, but if I’m doing my weekly shop I do t want all the fish/meat to expire the next day when there is plenty of stuff there with a long expiry.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Can’t believe you don’t make our own houmous. My image of you has been shattered.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Don’t tell me you live outside the Ocado catchment area… 😯

I am so sorry…

jimdubleyou

Don’t tell me you live outside the Ocado catchment area…

There’s a catchment area?

*Shudders*

Nico
    Free Member

… gave me a replacement FOC.

Ooer missus.

This is much better than mixing them up, which means you have to get them all off the shelf to find out the newest. Instead you can just do a quick reach-around and know you’ve got the newest. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

just do a quick reach-around

😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m heading there in 15mins, I’m on the hunt for wealthy divorced ladies who are on thier way home for work.

What are my chances ?

tomhoward

wealthy divorced ladies who are on thier way home for work.

Work?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

This is standard practice and is just stock rotation – the newest stock (with a longer shelf life) is always placed at the back with the older stock at the front. And it doesn’t just apply to fresh – all items are rotated at some point including tinned, etc.

If you want a longer date just get the stuff from the back!

dantsw13

But the Sainsbury’s stuff is much closer to expiry, whereas Waitrose would have discounted anything that close.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

ah, well that’s pretty poor then – anything “expiring” within the next day or two should be discounted just to shift the stock.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I found some three day out of date chillies at sainsburies the other day, I would have told someone but suddenly couldn’t be arsed. Wouldn’t have happened in Aldi you know.

shermer75
    Free Member

It was….THE SALMON MOUSSE!!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzejK4-qZ2E[/video]

matt_outandabout

Does anyone go into Waitrose for anything other than the free coffee?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners does. See above.

tang
    Free Member

I go for my fix of Bath Oliver biscuits.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I found one!!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Waitrose – Great place but beware of expiry dates’ is closed to new replies.